pnorman has commented on the following diary entries

Small fix to osm2pgsql commited over 1 year ago

I ran into a similar problem with addressmerge, except my addresses could be marginally outside the buildings. I solved it by adding a column in which I buffered the geometry with

UPDATE import_addresses SET buffered_geom = geometry(ST_Buffer(geography(geom),N));

where N was the distance, on the order of 1-2 meters (real meters, not mercator meters). For some purposes you might want to reproject but I was working in WGS84.

For mercator you could just use ST_Buffer and multiply N by a factor, but I had to do the reprojections.

Another trick for doing the JOINs between addresses and buildings was to pre-filter with && and then do ST_DWithin(geography(...), geography(...), N)

In my code this was expressed as

a LEFT JOIN b ON a.id != b.id AND ST_Expand(a.geom, PRECOMPUTED_DEGREES) && b.geom AND ST_DWithin(geography(a.geom), geography(b.geom), DISTANCE)

with PRECOMPUTED_DEGREES being DISTANCE * scale, where scale is chosen from the point closest to the pole in the region I'm considering.

New on OpenStreetMap over 1 year ago

Always good to see more people from BC

pnorman, from Vancouver

South Fraser Perimeter Road - Surveyed almost 2 years ago

On the SFPR or Port Mann?

On the SFPR I believe it's just a shoulder in the opened part. The lanes are wide and it's a decent smooth shoulder, so it's not too bad.

On the Port Mann I imagine they will be the last part to go in. This isn't solely because of a disregard for bikes, they're also in the last part to be constructed.

The SFPR is a good route for going from the Patullo to 176th/Barnston on a bike. The old route through Whalley, Gildford and Jhonson Heights involved a lot of stop lights, traffic and hills. The SFPR has fewer of all of these. There are no exits or stop lights on the part of the SFPR that's been constructed, there's just the ones off of the ends which aren't actually part of it.

New Lower Mainland Imagery sources almost 2 years ago

Thanks - it should be fixed. Also there's a new layer in P2/JOSM by default, bc_mosaic. It's composed of the various layers stitched together into one layer which represents the "best" of the imagery.

Alaska / BC border is obviously messed up. almost 2 years ago

I did some work with the BC/Washington State border some time ago using the IBC data

The IBC data is legally okay to use, so there's no worries there.

By far the biggest task on the border is de-duplicating the various ways. Simply put, the border is a mess. The position is relatively easy to fix once the duplicate ways are fixed and all the boundary relations are okay.

I've prepared .osm files for the SE Alaska and Portland parts of the border at http://took.paulnorman.ca/ibc/

The best workflow I've found is to first clean up the border, making all of the boundary relations topologically consistent and then merge through point by point the turning points and monuments, merging existing nodes to them.

I'm currently working on SEAlaska.osm

I did not convert from NAD83 to WGS84 but this is in practice a non-issue as the differences are minimal.

Is this a redaction bug? about 2 years ago

For way 41789598 tags were added by Scocasso who didn't accept, so those tags have to be hidden.

For way 31158977 highway=residential was removed in v5 then added in v6.

For way 92818746 most of the nodes (e.g. http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/639232838) appear to be from amai who didn't accept, so the nodes got deleted which required changing the way.

Ugg I screwed up over 2 years ago

Could you provide a link to the imports@ and talk-us@ mailing list discussion that happened before you started this upload? I can't seem to find it.

Added correct street names to Red Wing over 2 years ago

Welcome to OSM. It's good to see another editor in BC. I'm based out of Vancouver myself.