pieleric has commented on the following diary entries

Worst OSM Fixer over 4 years ago

Concerning the S/N roads in Peru. This doesn't mean they are service roads. I'm pretty sure it stands for "Sin Nombre" which means "no name" in Spanish. Apparently in the import of Telcom IP, every street without known name got named "S/N". It's an horrible idea. Nevertheless they might still be big roads, and actually it's unlikely any of them is a "service road".

What's the story behind these disconnected streets in Lima? over 4 years ago

Hei, I've been working a bit on this (on and off since a year), as a couple of other guys. Actually the Telcom IP import covers the whole Peru. It has many bad sides (e.g., low quality of positioning, missing segments of roads, same road represented by many segments, roads without name named "S/N", names all in upppercase), but it has one big advantage: it has the name of many streets.

So now what I usually do is: 1. map using the satellite imagery 2. name the street using the name of the close by segment from Telcom IP 3. delete the Telcom IP segment

Usually, I leave the name in uppercase, to mark it's coming from Telcom IP. I guess later on, when everything is converted, it will be possible to fix it with a bot.

For Lima precisely, I can give you a couple more advises: * Some places look like already mapped, but the Telcom IP and the satellite imagery haven't been merged (step 2 and 3). It looks ok from a low zoom, but if you zoom in (or use JOSM validator) you can detect that case. * The bing imagery has quite a big shift (~20m), so you want to align it first on existing roads/gps tracks.

Have fun & good luck! Éric

Campo Grande is a desert! almost 5 years ago

Welcome to OSM!
To support you I've mapped the Vila Boas district using Bing imagery :-)
By the way, be careful, I've noticed that in some areas many ways were doubled. I've tried to clean them up whenever I found one but there might be more.

Have fun!

OSM, my new hobby. OSM开放式地图,我的新爱好 almost 5 years ago

That's great! I'm planning to visit Xi'an next year, so it'd be fantastic to have the map of the city with me on my phone when I arrive :-)

Which type of smartphone do you have? If you have an android-based phone, I can recommend you OsmAnd, which works great even when not connected to internet.

Have fun!

Just add Halal food shop over 5 years ago

How do you tag them?

Peru's import could get some love over 5 years ago

Indeed, one of the problems of rolling back the import is that it has now been from some time so it's been cleaned up a bit everywhere. But I guess it'd be possible to only remove what has not been modified.

Actually, the most ugly part are the duplicates. When it's not a duplicate, it's rather OK (it's like a GPS track with the additional information on the name of the street). I wonder if there is a tool to detect duplicates: look at the ways committed by "TELCOM IP", check whether the way is close from another way not from this import (within 5m or something), copy the name, and delete the imported way. Does this already exist?

Just finished my first town almost 6 years ago

Just to be clearer, I didn't copy the phone directory data into the map, I used principally the names which are in the cadastre (that the French authorities confirmed it was ok to use as a source for OSM). I'm using directory data only to get a second list, made independently, to follow the progress and ensure the quality. Actually the phone data I found is very low quality. It contains many spelling mistakes, missing words (like first name of people), and wrong street types (like "Street" instead of "Avenue"), so it would be impossible to use it directly.

When doing the comparison, whenever there is a discrepancy I try to validate the name by looking for it in the municipal newspaper, or asking some locals (eg: my parents).

I absolutely agree that doing it gives you a strong will for an actual tour around the place. I've already planned to go for a bike trip next time I visit my parents to see all these various places which I don't know enough to draw them yet!