mvexel has commented on the following diary entries

Fixing split buildings in LA about 2 months ago

Cool that you're using MapRoulette for this!

Added Houses in my Neighborhood about 2 months ago

Are you new to OSM? In which case -- a warm welcome! If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. A good place is the OSM US Slack chat, for which you can sign up here: https://osmus-slack.herokuapp.com/

Getting streets and nodes without name tags with Overpass turbo 6 months ago

Nice!

You could also make a MapRoulette challenge out of it pretty easily and have everyone help out :)

A MapRoulette Update: V2, Pedestrian Safety, GeoJSON, and Floating Ways in China 7 months ago

Joost - that's what I am hoping for. It is really a challenge about revisiting those initial mapping attempts based on then available imagery. Another look at those through MapRoulette may trigger a new wave of mapping in these areas if better resources are available now. At least that is my hope. (That gives me an idea. Perhaps it's better to filter out the 'floating ways' that have not been touched in at least a year or so.)

Let me know if you would like to process this query for Peru, Bolivia or other countries.

Glassman - let's be in touch about that.

katpatuka -- I didn't look into that specifically. Do you have reason to believe that this was mainly done by one user?

ImproveOSM with your own GPS data - a Field Report 7 months ago

Not yet. I asked Grant a few times but he is pretty backed up on other OSM systems tasks. Once we get a new dump, I will start working on it.

Help map some sidewalks for cities in the U.S. 7 months ago

Stereo, we do not currently use it for Scout, see https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sidewalk#projects

Help map some sidewalks for cities in the U.S. 7 months ago

Piskvor -- indeed there may be false negatives (or positives depending on how you look at it) because of this. I used to map sidewalks as separate geometries, but I stopped doing it in favor of just mapping sidewalk tags. Some folks argue that separate geometries for sidewalks can help with specific use cases like wheelchair mapping. If anyone can explain to me how separate geometries would help those use cases in a way that sidewalk tags (perhaps augmented by more specific sidewalk:*:* tags) could not, I may change my mind again.

Tagging sidewalks and crossings 7 months ago

I used to be in the 'map sidewalks separate' camp. I don't think it's bad, but I am not convinced it's always necessary either. Adding sidewalk=no|right|both|... is much quicker. How does mapping sidewalks as separate geometries aid wheelchair routing in ways that couldn't be accomplished with the sidewalk tag?

Tagging sidewalks and crossings 7 months ago

Still tons of stuff to do. You can have your own MapRoulette challenge for it now. Add your city and get people to join!

Help map some sidewalks for cities in the U.S. 7 months ago

OK, reading it again...It looks like it is clear. the wording no is preferred, despite this tag being in wide use appears in the description for the value none. So I edited this post and the original post to reflect that preference. I will also update the challenge and the sample config file in the github repo.

Help map some sidewalks for cities in the U.S. 7 months ago

For now I will change it to none in the description and template files, as that value seems to have more traction than no.

Help map some sidewalks for cities in the U.S. 7 months ago

Agreed on supporting one value and avoiding confusion. I followed the wiki recommendation which is at second glance arguably unclear. Under no it says * no is preferred, despite this tag being in wide use*. So what does that mean? Is no preferred, or none?

Cygnus Field Report 8 months ago

Zverik - not yet but it is at the top of our list for the next development cycle. This may be a couple of months away, though. Sorry.

Conflation engine Cygnus now in public beta 9 months ago

Mike - I can help out with proper file conversion if you want. I realize PBF format can be tricky as an input file format. On the other hand it does help raise the barrier - this tool should be used with caution. Using PBF as input file format forces the user to think about the data in an OSM context.

Let me know how I can help.

Improve OSM Improved - and now with Turn Restrictions 9 months ago

k1wi - Not fixed yet. I'll see what I can do. We're all on holiday break now so it will be 2016 for sure though.

Improve OSM Improved - and now with Turn Restrictions 9 months ago

anewuser1: I'll look into HTTPS download. As a workaround, you can use the web site for now..

Conflation engine Cygnus now in public beta 10 months ago

MikeN, Clifford - I will be looking forward to looking at your data together to see if Cygnus can help.

Conflation engine Cygnus now in public beta 10 months ago

Hi Jorge - no it's not open source (yet..). I am working to get to a point where we can do that. The engine relies on an internal, proprietary SDK. For now (to also answer Mikel's question) I plan to do a series of more in depth articles that explain in more detail what happens behind the scenes.

If you have a specific use case you would want help with, I would be happy to discuss it!