mvexel has commented on the following diary entries

State Parks and National Parks 11 months ago

I agree that it's better to have a generic boundary=protected_area or something with a specifier tag added to it. Is protect_class already documented / used?

State Parks and National Parks 12 months ago

I agree they are different but they fit the definition on the wiki page.

I added a link to the IUCN categories wiki page to the boundary=national_park wiki and a discussion topic there as well.

OpenStreetMap Sister Towns 12 months ago

They could also use some help in other departments...

broken web site

Time for a 'Map Your Outdoors Adventure' party! 12 months ago

Thanks! During a bike camping trip in the western part of the Uinta mountains, Utah. Close to where I live!

Oh TIGER... 12 months ago

Bing may be out of date or misaligned, but in this case I'd wager a bet that TIGER is more wrong than Bing!

We also have the JOSM 'TIGER 2012' overlay as an additional reality check. This is also TIGER data but from after the big TIGER improvement program MFTAIP that ran between roughly 2004 and 2008:

TIGER 2012

New MapRoulette feature: Select your local area! 12 months ago

Erick - there was a bug in MapRoulette that prevented the challenge choices from loading directly. Could you try and see if the problem still exists? It could be of course, that there are no issues in Brazil :)

Opening Hours about 1 year ago

Thanks ypid for adding information on the evaluation tool!

Then and now about 1 year ago

RobJN - this is the data from June 2007 as it was live then, taken from http://planet.osm.org/cc-by-sa/planet-070627.osm.bz2.

Then and now about 1 year ago

Now available on the interwebs http://mvexel.github.io/thenandnow/#10/52.2644/5.2899

GPS Accuracy of Garmin, Polar, and other Running Watches about 1 year ago

Interesting to see the Garmins all over the place, seemingly uncorrelated to price / market segment.

Aw, snap! about 1 year ago

It seems to have been fixed in the source, not sure if it has gone live yet. Should be soon anyway!

Opening Hours about 1 year ago

Flo - yes they do look strange, I agree. I think the convention is to map this as Tu-Th 18:00-02:00 and the plugin will create two separate intervals instead. It's not really invalid, it's just not optimal, in my opinion.

New MapRoulette feature: Select your local area! about 1 year ago

vgeorge, Nighto -- how do you see this as a MapRoulette challenge? I'd be happy to help, perhaps email us at maproulette@maproulette.org and we can see if we can work something out? Looking forward to it.

New MapRoulette feature: Select your local area! about 1 year ago

There is no submit button, because creating and maintaining a good challenge is a little more complex than just pushing a button. It's not too difficult though. For a gentle introduction, please see my workshop at SOTM EU to get started. I want to write up a walkthrough as well soon! But in the mean time this should be a good resource.

Here is the presentation that is used in the workshop.

New MapRoulette feature: Select your local area! about 1 year ago

Because nobody submitted any challenges for Poland, perhaps? MapRoulette has global reach but relies on people submitting challenges for their countries. Like members of the France and Italy communities have already done. If you are not in a position to contribute challenges yourself, talk to your community and come up with fun local challenges!

New MapRoulette Challenge: Ways Needing Smoothing about 1 year ago

It does, Harry, and I apologize! There is something going on either on the challenge provider's end or on MapRoulette's end and my mission for today is to figure out what it is!

To all recklessly editing newbies about 1 year ago

And to all US mappers: WHY USE A DIFFERENT TAG FOR MOTORWAY EXIT DESTINATIONS THAN THE REST OF THE WORLD?

Watching the Watchlist about 1 year ago

jgpacker - wow, I never knew that was possible! Thanks.

Complex Intersections, or Why We Should Get Rid Of exit_to about 1 year ago

I also added a comment to the Discussion section of the highway=motorway_junction page, where exit_to is still referenced in a few places. I want to move to de-emphasize exit_to in preparation for a plan to deprecate this tag altogether, if the community feels this is the right thing to do.

Complex Intersections, or Why We Should Get Rid Of exit_to about 1 year ago

I edited the exit_to wiki page to reflect that usage of this tag is being discussed here.