mvexel has commented on the following diary entries

Introducing OpenStreetView 7 months ago

tiguillom: This is over my head :) but could you file an issue on Github?

Introducing OpenStreetView 7 months ago

tiguillom: This is over my head :) but could you file an issue on Github?

Introducing OpenStreetView 7 months ago

vr00n - yes, interesting! That is an idea we have actually been tossing around internally as well. The phone itself could probably be a good sensor for that too. (I am assuming you mean detecting vibration as a proxy for road quality?)

Introducing OpenStreetView 7 months ago

Hi aldobelus -- I agree we should make this as open as possible. We are working on F-Droid, the direct APK link is in the blog post so you can circumvent Play Store that way if you want. Or compile yourself from the source.

I am not a big fan of Facebook either but especially in the USA community quite a few people use it. I would not post anything to Facebook exclusively without also letting the community know via the diary or talk.

Stokestack, the web site is not optimized nor tested on mobile, but there's nothing deliberate about it :) If it bugs you, why not submit a pull request (or at least an issue) on github?

@woodpeck -- I agree that we can definitely be more open still. We are working on ways to make the data more accessible (bulk download, API) but there is a cost associated with that so we need to be a bit careful with rolling that out. There is no intent on our side to lock in the data that belongs to everyone.

Introducing OpenStreetView 7 months ago

@Ziltoidium Skobbler GPS Nav is still being updated, not super frequently but development has not come to a stand still. It's still the same team in Cluj, Romania that is working on that too, so little has changed there. I also use OSMAnd , Navmii and other OSM based nav apps, and I think Skobbler is still a good candidate among these. If you have bug reports that went unanswered, I apologize. Email me if you want to follow up.

@jesolem I am happy to stand corrected with the private images, my hope and expectation is that we serve the same objective. I must have misinterpreted your legal terms, where it says

Mapillary Photos are available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA 4.0). With Mapillary Photos we mean the publicly available street level photos.

and

We are under no obligation to publicly display Content that is posted to private repositories.

My apologies!

Introducing OpenStreetView 7 months ago

Hi metatech. Those are good questions.

You can compare restrictions side by side and I think you will find that OSV is less restrictive. Both have CC-BY-SA on images, so attribution requirements are the same. Unlike Mapillary, OSV does not have a 'private' walled garden of images that OSM does not have access to, nor does OSV place special restrictions on commercial use (in line with OSM which does not do that either). Also, OSV allows you to easily delete your account and with that, your uploaded images. Please check but I don't think you can do this with Mapillary either. Also OSV has LGPL on most of the underlying software. See the comments above.

As for competitors vs collaboration, I think having two players in the field should result in a better outcome for everyone. It keeps everyone focused on the shared objective, which is to create a truly open street level imagery resource for OSM. We are happy to collaborate with anyone if it supports our that objective. We made an attempt to collaborate with Mapillary for one of our previous initiatives (the ScoutSigns plugin for JOSM) but that didn't work out so great. That is in part what sparked the idea to start OSV in the first place.

Milestone 7 months ago

That is a fantastic milestone to hit! Congratulations. (Just curious, which town is it?) Let me know what you think of OSV and how it is / could be more useful to your mapping.

Introducing OpenStreetView 7 months ago

Hi Narigondelsiglo, the Android app right now only supports the Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) protocol, so unless the dongle specifically says 'Bluetooth LE' it is probably not (yet) compatible. We are working on 'normal' bluetooth support. Wifi dongles should also work.

You definitely do not need OBD2 to use the apps in any way. It just helps enhance the trip trace. The apps work perfectly fine without the OBD2 dongle.

If you want to check out the relevant source code, https://github.com/openstreetview/android/tree/0358658ed76911263320c24b860afb5f02f3068c/bluetoothobd/src/main/java/com/telenav/vehicledatacollector/obd is probably a good place to start.

Introducing OpenStreetView 7 months ago

yvecai - at the moment: the backend, the map editor and the image recognition component in the apps. Some of this has to do with third party licenses that we need to figure out. We are looking into open sourcing the remaining components.

Introducing OpenStreetView 8 months ago

Hi nakaner, We don't have the intention at all of making OSV into a data silo. Right now we do not yet have an easy way to download everything. I will post an update when that changes.

Mapping missing turn restrictions & exit numbers and destinations in Europe - Part 1 : Germany 8 months ago

Have you had any success with ImproveOSM data?

Mapping pedestrian crossings 8 months ago

I don't know why utilsplugin was not made part of the core a long time ago...

Mapping pedestrian crossings 8 months ago

mtc: Sure! I am in add mode (keyboard a). Then I click on the way where I want to add the node. A node will be added. Then I hit Shift-r to apply the ped crossing tags. Then I hit Esc to end this add. (Otherwise you will draw a way.)

One thing to keep in mind is that Shift-r will repeat the tags of the last selected object, so you have to make sure that you do not select anything else inbetween, or it will copy the tags from that object.

Fixing split buildings in LA 8 months ago

Cool that you're using MapRoulette for this!

Added Houses in my Neighborhood 8 months ago

Are you new to OSM? In which case -- a warm welcome! If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. A good place is the OSM US Slack chat, for which you can sign up here: https://osmus-slack.herokuapp.com/

Getting streets and nodes without name tags with Overpass turbo about 1 year ago

Nice!

You could also make a MapRoulette challenge out of it pretty easily and have everyone help out :)

A MapRoulette Update: V2, Pedestrian Safety, GeoJSON, and Floating Ways in China about 1 year ago

Joost - that's what I am hoping for. It is really a challenge about revisiting those initial mapping attempts based on then available imagery. Another look at those through MapRoulette may trigger a new wave of mapping in these areas if better resources are available now. At least that is my hope. (That gives me an idea. Perhaps it's better to filter out the 'floating ways' that have not been touched in at least a year or so.)

Let me know if you would like to process this query for Peru, Bolivia or other countries.

Glassman - let's be in touch about that.

katpatuka -- I didn't look into that specifically. Do you have reason to believe that this was mainly done by one user?

ImproveOSM with your own GPS data - a Field Report about 1 year ago

Not yet. I asked Grant a few times but he is pretty backed up on other OSM systems tasks. Once we get a new dump, I will start working on it.