mvexel has commented on the following diary entries

How can we double the number of active mappers in the US in a year? 4 months ago

I like the idea of online mapping events. Do you have ideas about how those could work?

How to find Missing Roads in OSM with GPS data 4 months ago

Jan - working on that! Wir machen das!

How to find Missing Roads in OSM with GPS data 4 months ago

gorn -- yes, interesting eh? You would think dump truck drivers would know how to get to the landfill :)

slint -- That is an interesting idea and we are looking at incorporating more trace data.

Missing Roads - The Missing Manual 4 months ago

Pink Duck - can't reproduce - could you please email me specifics? >> martijnv@telenav.com

Missing Roads - The Missing Manual 4 months ago

Done.

Missing Roads - The Missing Manual 4 months ago

Because it will take me 5x as long to write this in wiki markup. But why not put a link to here on the page?

How to find Missing Roads in OSM with GPS data 5 months ago

naoliv - this was actually suggested in the feedback forum also - I'll have a look to see how feasible that is.

How to find Missing Roads in OSM with GPS data 5 months ago

Hey folks - thanks for all your comments so far! I am taking all your suggestions back to the team. I'll go into a little more detail on how to use the web tool and JOSM plugin in a follow up diary entry. For now: you can't change the status of the tiles in the web app. That is for viewing only. In JOSM, the missing roads layer needs to be the active layer and the missing roads panel needs to be visible. Then, if you select a tile, you have the option of marking it as solved (the button with the lock on it) or invalid (the button with the exclamation mark on it) in the missing roads panel.

Wanted: Simple amenity describer and foursquare style Q&A process 5 months ago

OpenGeoQuestions should be interesting for this!

New MapRoulette challenge idea: exit_to > destination 5 months ago

You mean junction:ref as described here?

I am not quite convinced we need it. But I do agree that it's cleaner to have all exit info on the way rather than spread out across way and junction node.

Would require a main map style update that is probably non-trivial.

New MapRoulette challenge idea: exit_to > destination 5 months ago

Good point! That should definitely be explained as well. Thanks.

exit_to vs destination (USA) 5 months ago

Put the idea in its own blog post for better visibility.

exit_to vs destination (USA) 5 months ago

I should really start using the preview button. One more try:

challengeidea

exit_to vs destination (USA) 5 months ago

Sorry, correct image link:

!(challengeidea)[https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5nc2nl492gon9b/Screenshot%202015-09-17%2009.14.21.png?dl=1]

exit_to vs destination (USA) 5 months ago

I put together a MapRoulette challenge idea to fix these:

challengeidea

What do you think? Feedback on instructions?

The Flash Map Mob 5 months ago

Harry - yes, it is really just a slimmed down mapping party :)

I am hoping that it will appeal to the more casual type mapper, the folks who have 100 other hobbies and OSM just blends into their focus from time to time. For those folks, a quick 'flash mob' style party with immediate results may make more sense to participate in. And who knows, they may catch the bug.

Complex Intersections, or Why We Should Get Rid Of exit_to 5 months ago

k1wi wrote a follow up blog post showing there are now as many destination as exit_to tags in the US - let's continue the discussion there.

exit_to vs destination (USA) 5 months ago

Really interesting. Thanks for pulling those metrics!

For reference, here's my diary entry on this topic. The timing happens to coincide with destination taking off as a tag in the U.S. :) Note that some of my colleagues at Telenav spent a bunch of time adding destination tags to exit ramps in the US following that post, affecting ~9000 exits.

I am wondering if we can design a good transition away from exit_to - perhaps a combination of a scripted update for the simple cases, and a MapRoulette challenge for the remaining ones?

How do you map while on the go? 6 months ago

Thanks for sharing your insights, EdLoach!

How do you map while on the go? 6 months ago

Sounds like a great recommendation, SimonPoole and ItchyDemon. Thanks. The default iOS camera supports geotagging and a very limited number of other controls ('HDR', flash yes / no / auto, timer and front/back camera.) This is exactly why I like it, and the default settings usually produce usable images. There are tons of 3rd party camera apps on iOS as well, but I haven't had a good reason to try one yet.