Here's an example of a Mapillary image and map context:
I have created an account and did some test shooting from my car, using the iPhone app Mapillary provides. This is OK, but I want better quality images. So I am looking at an action camera I can mount in my car and on my bike.
The Garmin VIRB (Elite edition shown):
The GoPro Hero3 (White shown):
- The VIRB seems to have better battery life (important! but could not find any side by side comparisons)
- The basic GoPro Hero3 is less expensive than the basic VIRB
- The Elite edition of the Garmin VIRB has lots of built in sensors: GPS, altimeter, accelerometer - nice, but I am already carrying a GPS wherever I go anyway.
- Both can do automatic time lapse photos at set intervals, which is crucial.
- The VIRB can do 16MP stills, the most expensive Hero3 can do 12MP. This does not necessarily mean better pictures, of course.
- The most expensive Hero3 comes with a remote, which can be convenient if you don't want to time-lapse. For example on long freeway drives where you just want to capture the signs. The VIRB can be remote controlled by certain Garmin devices like the Fenix 2 watch. Both come with smartphone apps that can control the camera as well. Convenience factor is much less though.
- The VIRB has a built in screen. Not sure if that is actually an advantage. What would you use it for?
- Both have wide angle lenses which is important to capture as much in one shot as possible. Specs are sketchy but it looks like the GoPros have a slightly wider angle.
- GoPro has been at this for a lot longer than Garmin.
Here's a comparison of the video side by side. I wouldn't use video mode as much so this is of limited value, but anyway:
iframe embedding does not seem to work - is there a way?)
From what I can see the GoPro wins out by a small margin: sharper and better colors.
What do you use? Any other cameras to consider?