mikelmaron has commented on the following diary entries

100€ for a subscription to diary comments 14 days ago

And our next challenge

100€ for a subscription to diary comments 15 days ago

And PR accepted! @Zverik @Stereo, let's make donations to

100€ for a subscription to diary comments 24 days ago

@Zverik PR submitted

100€ for a subscription to diary comments 24 days ago

And ok, looks like I'm taking up your challenge Ilya

100€ for a subscription to diary comments 27 days ago

And sure, I'll put in 100 EUR too.

100€ for a subscription to diary comments 27 days ago

@Zverik this is a great idea, and I'd love to see this. It doesn't look too complicated, based on what's in place for changeset subscriptions.

Going further, I'd love to have a single page where I can see all the changesets and diaries I've subscribed to, along with details on the latest comments / whatever I haven't seen yet.

Let's Talk Local at the Global State of the Map about 1 month ago

Thanks Glassman, you're right about terminology. I'm using Local Chapter here loosely (too loosely it seems) .. but I really see it as a spectrum, and don't think that formalizing is the first step, far from it. Do like Harry's thinking about building an on ramp.

A look into a sample of edits from MAPS.ME contributors from August about 1 month ago

Thanks @joost schouppe. Exactly -- there's a rational and smart way to go about looking at, based in real assessment and cool heads and respect for each other and all mappers.

I do wonder looking at these issues, how could adapt to address some of the issues discovered.

On the stats, I would be very surprised if the scale of this jump meant was due to something other than, since HOT and Missing Maps events occur frequently. One way to dig into this would be to look at each newly signed up users and look at their changeset comments.

Welcome to the new Missing Maps 8 months ago

hey @woodpeck --- I'm reading your comment and having trouble understanding exactly what you think is an issue here. OSM purposely doesn't spend much on publicity, or develops software -- but makes an API available for anyone to sign up to and use, as long as the community norms of mapping are followed. Missing Maps as a project has not been in an OSM vacuum, and this is far from the first site to share statistics on how we're mapping. If tangible issues develop, there's plenty of room to address -- OSM never stopped from doing something out of fear of what might go wrong, otherwise we'd never have started! In any case, the code for this is open, and I think there's huge potential to apply analysis at scale on OSM for all sorts of purposes -- how else can we make OSM better through infrastructure such as this?

Data and community in the Belgian regions 8 months ago

Oh of course --- was using Mazermind tools as well for analysis with OSM Epic Turned out, very difficult to manage the scale of data in OSM History, in a database.

A recent break through for me, via working at Mapbox on this stuff, was using OSMQATiles and TileReduce processing. This is what drove the country cover work (links at

For example, was able to very quickly write and run script to count and visualize users by join date in OSM. I mean really fast --- writing the processor took less than an hour, and running takes less than a minute.

OSMQATiles covers what's in OSM right now, not history, and doesn't include relations. But even with these limitations, can derive enough actionable information to get a good picture of the community. I wonder, can we think of what questions where current OSMQATiles is sufficient, and whether the simplicity of the approach and speed gives a lot. And what critical things are we missing, and should we looking into a full history QA tile set as well.

Data and community in the Belgian regions 9 months ago

Great research @joost%20schouppe. What tools are you using to run these stats? Would love to see this kind of local community research available everywhere, on an ongoing basis.

This mapper's interest is first and foremost landuse mapping.

Pretty interesting how this is amplified when only analysing nodes. Raises the importance of something we don't capture in metrics easily --- what kinds of features edited on user and location basis.

If we had contribution stats by feature types at various admin_levels, would be able to identify particular community data strengths and weaknesses. The highway coverage analysis was one step in this direction

Another important element to capture is recency --- you might have great coverage, but if it all happened 5 years ago, the community is not very vibrant.

Do people cross borders? Well yes. To define "home", I first took a subset of people with at least fives sessions in Belgium over all years. Then I simply looked at the region they had most sessions in.

This is pretty interesting. A lot of mappers cross borders, and identifying who is local and who is remote is tricky. Would love to have a service which provided

1) per user, a list of the number of edits per admin boundary, along with the most likely "home" 2) a list of users per admin boundary (also at multiple levels)

Picturing Proposed Development at Josephite Seminary in DC 10 months ago

@dieterdreist yes, this is more for conversation. I certainly hope the eventual project is more sophisticated, and that it seriously takes into account other ideas put together by the community.

A new version of the OSM Edit Report is here! 11 months ago

the work of the Mapbox data team is quite diverse and also consists of lower volume activities like fixing errors etc. The tool you introduced here however does not reflect this

provide capture date metadata with your satellite imagery.

Thanks for the suggestions @imagico. Both of these improvements have been discussed, and are both complicated for different reasons. Looking forward to share more, when the knotty problems get sorted out.

Conflation engine Cygnus now in public beta 11 months ago

Very curious to read more about the process and code Cygnus applies behind the scenes, and how it can be extended to other kinds of features.

The most inefficient way in North America 11 months ago

@bdiscoe nice work. would love to see a TileReduce version of this, to make it easy for anyone to run repeatedly in any country

The history and completeness of OSM 11 months ago

My understanding is that the methodology is based on random sampling and visual inspection, not on assumptions of distribution of roads. We should be able to investigate more once the code is opened. I agree, 90% sounds a bit high overall, but it is an estimate after all (not something true or false). Many of the numbers align but not completely with (where the completeness numbers are comparison against CIA World Factbook), so will be an interesting comparison The trajectory graphs are helpful in a lot of cases to spot some dynamics in communities.

HOT Voting Member Nomination 12 months ago

Love the focus on validation ... there are connections to HOT's documentation, activation protocol, and technical developments.

Missing Maps Workshop at Mapbox-BLR 12 months ago

Great wisdom Maning!

Some things we put together over the last year on organizing an event, from MapGive

OSM-PH tagging suggestion about 1 year ago

Just seeing this now @maning and it is awesome. I don't think I've seen anything like this before, except in my mind after too much mapping! Super useful perspective, illustrates the process of observation and data creation in the real world.

How we apply map feedback over 1 year ago

There should be and are many levels to contribute to OSM, so this is a good concept, and thanks for the transparency. To pull out a productive idea, offering a path to users giving feedback (and notes), to get more involved in OSM, is a useful idea.