mcld has commented on the following diary entries

Bitcoins and Business Opportunists 6 months ago

I've not been involved in the bitcoin discussion and I won't get involved. But I'd just like to point out that OSM policy is not to map "what we see" in the sense you seem to be describing. Just because it isn't obvious when you walk past it in the street, doesn't mean it shouldn't be in OSM. The gold standard for OSM is for something to be verifiable "on the ground". So, if someone hired a holiday flat, paid for it in bitcoin, went and lived there for two weeks, then mapped it, that would be a perfect example of good OSM mapping! (I'm not suggesting this is what happened in this case.) Yet you still wouldn't see it when you walked past.

Speaking a bit more loosely, if it's a geolocated business (and not just a "placeless" business such as a website) then why shouldn't it be on the map? If it's badly tagged or spammy then there's a problem. But if it's a business owner who has placed their business correctly on the map, that's a good thing.

OpenStreetMappy Christmas! 6 months ago

Mappy Christmas to you too :) I too mapped our Christmas (Boxing Day) walk...

Making the core open street map site + data more useful with structured data 7 months ago

Oh, I guess I hadn't really realised that linkedgeodata was already pretty much osm in rdf! So that means that osm has already "joined the linkeddata web" as you put it.

So then, the separate question of whether to use schema.org - looks fine, but as I say, there's probably a fair amount of logic needed before the HTML will pop out in schema.org format (since schema/Restaurant needs different properties than schema/Park etc.)

Here's a thought: what about simply using the fairly generic Place schema? That would be a first step, and it could be something we could add to pretty much all osm objects, so it needs no extra logic in the web server. Mmm well maybe a bit of extra logic.

I've no idea if it would be sufficient for Google Rich Snippets and other nice things - do you think it would be worth it? (I don't honestly know what kinds of benefits come from using schema.org tagging.)

Basic idea sounds OK to me. It's one of those things that the core osm.org website maintainers might consider out of scope, especially if there's loads of logic needed in the rendering (e.g. a special code-path just to render restaurant pages, simply in order to add the extra markup for restaurants - that would be horrible for maintenance, let alone efficiency).

Note that this schema stuff isn't the same as RDFa. Personally I think an approach I'd prefer (and one which is more likely to get accepted) would be to mark up the current OSM details pages with RDFa using an ontology specifically for representing OSM as Linked Data; then, it's possible for services outside of the main OSM website to declare "sameAs" relationships and add joined-up thinking without imposing complications on the core server.

Poor man's rendering 7 months ago

:( this is yucky. The default style deliberately doesn't show benches and bins, because that's too much detail for a standard map. No map can show everything (and be actually readable).

You're making me sad by "hijacking" tags to hack what is shown by default :(

New raw data 7 months ago

Hi - data "imports" are not always a good thing... sometimes they are useful, but you have to think through the consequences...

Info here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Imports

My first map edit 8 months ago

Congratulations, and welcome... to the real world :)

Adding Mobile Money Agents to OSM 8 months ago

I don't know those things (I live in the UK) - do I understand you right, that you're talking about some kind of shop where you can transfer money that's associated with your mobile phone? Are they usually separate places of their own, or are they combined with other things (e.g. grocery shop)?

I just had a look on the wiki and taginfo, and I couldn't see anyone having used a tag for those. You could start marking them yourself, of course, if you decide on a suitable tag. It might be appropriate to use a tag like shop=mobile_money, maybe, or to add an extra feature to other shop POIs like mobile_money=yes? Anyway, just thinking out loud, because I've not seen these things in real life, and I'm surprised that I don't seem to see it being used in OSM yet.

Light up my way! (First Anniversary) 8 months ago

Wow, impressive indeed! It's interesting to look at the particular patterns of unlit road in London, so few as they are.

What is the OpenStreetMap convention? Do we tag addresses on buildings or on separate nodes? 9 months ago

It's good to quantify these things, so thanks. One point: you say "by a wide margin", but that's not how the numbers look to me. 10 million vs 3 million is a difference of many millions, but as a ratio it's not actually that overwhelming. The numbers suggest to me that both "conventions" are alive and well and there isn't one convention!

I'm comfortable with there being these different approaches. I know the motivation for your post comes from the issue of deciding how to import a few thousand new items, which is more sensitive than general mapping.

Personally I fairly often map address nodes on the edge of building ways, since there are often multiple addresses associated with one building, and the only way to map them when doing a ground survey is by mapping the addresses seen on the entrances.

I am working For Comilla District. 9 months ago

Is that in Bangladesh? Nice.

Welcome to OSM!

I noticed this school... http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1621004499 ...is it really in the middle of a lake?? That doesn't look right to me!

Remember to map post-boxes 9 months ago

Oh that's really neat. I like the clickable "progress" map: http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postboxes/progress/

Work done so far... (part 2) 9 months ago

Congratulations! This all sounds amazing. What a lot of achievements.

Google Monitoring Changes in OSM? 9 months ago

I do wonder if Google does any kind of monitoring - after all, there's plenty of things they could do using OSM data without violating the licence.

But in this case, the fact that they traced it as a road not a bridleway suggests to me that they didn't use your data! So they probably used manual tracing from aerial photo, or maybe even automatic tracing using one of their fancy algorithms. I'd imagine we'll never know if they used your bridleway as any kind of inspiration... but it's equally likely that they simply analysed the aerial photo themselves, because that's what they do.

probably noob questions... 9 months ago

Hi - welcome to openstreetmap! I'm just a user, but I can answer some (not all) of your questions:

• The aerial photos can only be used for editing. They're provided by Bing, but they're provided under specific terms which mean they're for editing purposes, not for general viewing.
  • For discussing that stuff about US retail food sellers, I'd suggest the talk-us mailing list
  • For asking specific questions, I guess it's probably better to use http://help.openstreetmap.org/ which has plenty of helpful people on it.

Re that thing about showing all the search results on the map - good point, it would be handy - I don't know a service that would do that. The thing to remember is that the openstreetmap website is "just one way" of viewing the OSM data, and it's totally possible that there's a website somewhere that provides search in the way you want it (using the OSM data, I mean). That's the great thing about OSM - because we're able to give away the data, third parties can take it and remix it and there's a whole ecosystem of cool map things out there as a result.

Hope this helps...

Leytonstone looking slicker 10 months ago

Looks good. Thanks for doing the W14, that's a useful bus for me!

(Just having a look at it now in the "transport map" layer.)

Also thanks for this blog of the process needed for the full public transport mapping. Kinda complex - I haven't attempted it before, though I have added a handful of route relations.

More on Land Use Tags 10 months ago

I think building=public is common for civic/govt buildings.

Also I agree with Andy about village_green - I'd suggest just landuse=grass instead (and if you want to indicate that public access is ok, access=yes or access=permissive). http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse=grass

Two accounts 11 months ago

When you say "it takes me to the second URL"... that doesn't mean that you're logged in as that user. It probably just means that was the page you were looking at before you clicked to log in.

This diary entry was written by "bdiscoe" so you must be logged in as that one... I presume!

Where does this user get his data from? 11 months ago

Curious. I wonder if it's possible to spot any tell-tale "deliberate errors" that chdr might be importing from known sources.

First Thoughts 12 months ago

Hi John. I'm a casual-to-medium OSM mapper and my advice is, as chillly said, "be bold". There's always the possibility to revert any changes if they're problematic.