mcld has commented on the following diary entries

India Villages 8 months ago

yalla: zoom in on the image :) you can see that each village is a black dot.

this visualisation has a lovely texture

Tracing Baiji, Iraq 9 months ago

Working on Palampur, Dharamsala, Chamba 10 months ago

Welcome to OSM! :)

Android OSM apps 10 months ago

Oh wait I mean OsmTracker. I always forget the name. That's the one I like.

Android OSM apps 10 months ago

Have you tried OsmAnd? I like it.

New Starter 10 months ago

Yep, Stalfur is right. Just to be clear: you just use a generic road for the road, but then separately you draw an area that goes around the whole industrial estate (the roads, the buildings, etc) and mark that as landuse=industrial

Map a park 11 months ago

True! Unfortunately I don't live there, and I didn't bother surveying the true state of the bus stops...

Elevation carving using OSM waterway data 11 months ago

This is indeed a lovely idea for fine detail! Nice work Andrew.

Regarding OSM GPS-track elevations (as Hedaja suggests): they're VERY poor accuracy in general. I tried inferring the terrain of the UK from OSM GPS-track elevations and the results came out really badly. The problem is not so much that the elevations are "noisy" because if we have enough measurements then variation gets averaged out - the problem is that they seem to have weird biases pushing the estimate in the wrong direction. (You also get problems due to GPS tracks recorded in aircraft!)

I didn't find an obvious way of cleaning up the OSM GPS-track elevations to make them useful, but of course others may be cleverer than me.

How do you map house numbers efficiently? 12 months ago

I like the screen design, and the way you've clearly thought about the number of clicks required and the persisting state through the task.

Why does it make you unhappy that you haven't done away with the keyboard entirely? IMHO that will always be needed, for the corner-cases, and it doesn't inhibit the workflow. Most users won't need to go near the keyboard option on that screen.

Getting the first number: keyboard view is first view?

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park - Mapping Party? 12 months ago

Hi Ollie - great idea - let's do this! I live in East London so this works for me.

Coincidentally, I was doing some mapping as I went walking today (lovely weather), and I even tagged some things in (North) Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. (Slices 8 & 10 on your map.) The North part is pretty well-mapped already of course. I'd suggest that we concentrate more on the southern slices, and especially making sure that we check the access tags because there are a lot of access=private tags which might be out-of-date soon.

I did walk past Crate too and it looks like a good HQ, a bit self-consciously hip but hey.

Your blog doesn't take comments, so I'd suggest you add a link back to this page in case there's discussion...? Or just to a wiki page about the event I guess.

First experience with Open Street Map about 1 year ago

Hi, and welcome in!

Your edits look good.

By the way, in one note you mention a "roof piece" - you can use building=roof if you want to tag a roof piece with no building underneath it. No pressure though ;)

(JOSM is a complex tool. I use it, but I also like the online editors because they're much simpler to use.)

OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike about 1 year ago

P.S. If you don't understand the threat of "enclosure" when a free public dataset gets snatched up by a commercial company, look at the history of CDDB.

I disagree: the share-alike aspect makes the data more free, not less free, and it's part of why I contribute to OSM. Others have already made that point in this thread.

OSM has been extremely successful so far and I'm sure the community, the foundation etc can help commercial companies to come to an understanding of what you can/can't/should do in using the data.

When does share alike kick in? about 1 year ago

Simon, in my personal opinion this is a good summary of the ODbL and share-alike. Thanks! Lots of people get confused about this.

@RobJN, for the case that you're "not sure about": the map tiles are irrelevant here because in the example you describe, they never get combined with osm data (just overlaid). However, the data driving the "markers" (points from some other database, geocoded using OSM) seem to me to be a derivative database, so I'd suggest that the marker data would then be share-alike.

Today I am confused by OSM about 1 year ago

:) yes you can... to see the kind of thing that people write, look at this feed: http://www.openstreetmap.org/diary

Remove a spam user in French about 1 year ago

Pieren, the usability is important if it's going to actually help with a deluge of posts rather than a small number of them. The trac tool is no use for the purpose you describe - no-one except a handful of power-users would ever report stuff, certainly not often. A person browsing the OSM website needs a "Report spam" button available on the user page / diary page / etc.

Tom seems to have summarised things well. I hope that before spam becomes a mega-problem, someone might like to have a go at implementing spam-flagging simply and smoothly. Hey maybe I'll even think about it myself ;)

OpenStreetBugs Phase out ... another update about 1 year ago

Congratulations, and well done on this nicely-managed transfer

Firefox OS about 1 year ago

Thanks for the tip! I've been hoping for a nice OSM app for FxOS - will try out Lantea Maps :)

just getting started about 1 year ago

Hi - welcome in :)

Your edits look great to me (just browsed a random few of them).

One thing that would be nice would be if the changeset comments were a bit more informative than "local stuff" - I guess the ideal comment is one that tells me what your intention was, and/or what type of objects were edited. No need to worry too much but it would be helpful.

Cheers, Dan