mcld has commented on the following diary entries

First experience with Open Street Map 7 months ago

Hi, and welcome in!

Your edits look good.

By the way, in one note you mention a "roof piece" - you can use building=roof if you want to tag a roof piece with no building underneath it. No pressure though ;)

(JOSM is a complex tool. I use it, but I also like the online editors because they're much simpler to use.)

OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike 7 months ago

P.S. If you don't understand the threat of "enclosure" when a free public dataset gets snatched up by a commercial company, look at the history of CDDB.

I disagree: the share-alike aspect makes the data more free, not less free, and it's part of why I contribute to OSM. Others have already made that point in this thread.

OSM has been extremely successful so far and I'm sure the community, the foundation etc can help commercial companies to come to an understanding of what you can/can't/should do in using the data.

When does share alike kick in? 7 months ago

Simon, in my personal opinion this is a good summary of the ODbL and share-alike. Thanks! Lots of people get confused about this.

@RobJN, for the case that you're "not sure about": the map tiles are irrelevant here because in the example you describe, they never get combined with osm data (just overlaid). However, the data driving the "markers" (points from some other database, geocoded using OSM) seem to me to be a derivative database, so I'd suggest that the marker data would then be share-alike.

Today I am confused by OSM 7 months ago

:) yes you can... to see the kind of thing that people write, look at this feed: http://www.openstreetmap.org/diary

Remove a spam user in French 8 months ago

Pieren, the usability is important if it's going to actually help with a deluge of posts rather than a small number of them. The trac tool is no use for the purpose you describe - no-one except a handful of power-users would ever report stuff, certainly not often. A person browsing the OSM website needs a "Report spam" button available on the user page / diary page / etc.

Tom seems to have summarised things well. I hope that before spam becomes a mega-problem, someone might like to have a go at implementing spam-flagging simply and smoothly. Hey maybe I'll even think about it myself ;)

OpenStreetBugs Phase out ... another update 9 months ago

Congratulations, and well done on this nicely-managed transfer

Firefox OS 9 months ago

Thanks for the tip! I've been hoping for a nice OSM app for FxOS - will try out Lantea Maps :)

just getting started 9 months ago

Hi - welcome in :)

Your edits look great to me (just browsed a random few of them).

One thing that would be nice would be if the changeset comments were a bit more informative than "local stuff" - I guess the ideal comment is one that tells me what your intention was, and/or what type of objects were edited. No need to worry too much but it would be helpful.

Cheers, Dan

First Day Using OSM 9 months ago

Welcome in :)

Missing attribution in Huffington Post ? 9 months ago

I wondered about this too recently. I'm pretty sure that the GPX dump must be ODbL too (since OSM users simply agree that all the data they upload will be ODbL), and therefore implies exactly the same attribution requirements as the OSM "main" data.

However, please note that the OSM ODbL requires Eric Fischer to credit OSM, but it does not require him to require the Huffington Post to credit OSM! This may seem strange, and some people may not like this. But think of it this way: OSM requires that we credit OSM when we make things out of the data ("produced works"), but OSM does not in general want to control what licence we apply to these produced works. If the OSM requirement was strictly inherited all the way down the chain, it would prevent people from (for example) licensing their produced works under the WTFPL, because it's not possible to say "do anything you like with my image" at the same time as "you must always credit OSM if you do something with my image".

It's a bit like the difference between CC-BY and CC-BY-SA. When you release something under CC-BY, this means that people who remix you have to credit you, but it doesn't mean they have to put any particular requirements on people who remix them. (For that, you would use CC-BY-SA.)

Bitcoins and Business Opportunists 9 months ago

I've not been involved in the bitcoin discussion and I won't get involved. But I'd just like to point out that OSM policy is not to map "what we see" in the sense you seem to be describing. Just because it isn't obvious when you walk past it in the street, doesn't mean it shouldn't be in OSM. The gold standard for OSM is for something to be verifiable "on the ground". So, if someone hired a holiday flat, paid for it in bitcoin, went and lived there for two weeks, then mapped it, that would be a perfect example of good OSM mapping! (I'm not suggesting this is what happened in this case.) Yet you still wouldn't see it when you walked past.

Speaking a bit more loosely, if it's a geolocated business (and not just a "placeless" business such as a website) then why shouldn't it be on the map? If it's badly tagged or spammy then there's a problem. But if it's a business owner who has placed their business correctly on the map, that's a good thing.

OpenStreetMappy Christmas! 10 months ago

Mappy Christmas to you too :) I too mapped our Christmas (Boxing Day) walk...

Making the core open street map site + data more useful with structured data 10 months ago

Oh, I guess I hadn't really realised that linkedgeodata was already pretty much osm in rdf! So that means that osm has already "joined the linkeddata web" as you put it.

So then, the separate question of whether to use schema.org - looks fine, but as I say, there's probably a fair amount of logic needed before the HTML will pop out in schema.org format (since schema/Restaurant needs different properties than schema/Park etc.)

Here's a thought: what about simply using the fairly generic Place schema? That would be a first step, and it could be something we could add to pretty much all osm objects, so it needs no extra logic in the web server. Mmm well maybe a bit of extra logic.

I've no idea if it would be sufficient for Google Rich Snippets and other nice things - do you think it would be worth it? (I don't honestly know what kinds of benefits come from using schema.org tagging.)

Basic idea sounds OK to me. It's one of those things that the core osm.org website maintainers might consider out of scope, especially if there's loads of logic needed in the rendering (e.g. a special code-path just to render restaurant pages, simply in order to add the extra markup for restaurants - that would be horrible for maintenance, let alone efficiency).

Note that this schema stuff isn't the same as RDFa. Personally I think an approach I'd prefer (and one which is more likely to get accepted) would be to mark up the current OSM details pages with RDFa using an ontology specifically for representing OSM as Linked Data; then, it's possible for services outside of the main OSM website to declare "sameAs" relationships and add joined-up thinking without imposing complications on the core server.

Poor man's rendering 10 months ago

:( this is yucky. The default style deliberately doesn't show benches and bins, because that's too much detail for a standard map. No map can show everything (and be actually readable).

You're making me sad by "hijacking" tags to hack what is shown by default :(

New raw data 11 months ago

Hi - data "imports" are not always a good thing... sometimes they are useful, but you have to think through the consequences...

Info here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Imports

My first map edit 12 months ago

Congratulations, and welcome... to the real world :)

Adding Mobile Money Agents to OSM 12 months ago

I don't know those things (I live in the UK) - do I understand you right, that you're talking about some kind of shop where you can transfer money that's associated with your mobile phone? Are they usually separate places of their own, or are they combined with other things (e.g. grocery shop)?

I just had a look on the wiki and taginfo, and I couldn't see anyone having used a tag for those. You could start marking them yourself, of course, if you decide on a suitable tag. It might be appropriate to use a tag like shop=mobile_money, maybe, or to add an extra feature to other shop POIs like mobile_money=yes? Anyway, just thinking out loud, because I've not seen these things in real life, and I'm surprised that I don't seem to see it being used in OSM yet.

Light up my way! (First Anniversary) 12 months ago

Wow, impressive indeed! It's interesting to look at the particular patterns of unlit road in London, so few as they are.