maning has commented on the following diary entries

Passive data for OSMing about 1 month ago

@Sunfishtommy , Strava heatmap are available in iD and JOSM as background layer. See this entry in the wiki:

Why am I against wholesale import of administrative boundaries from any 3rd party source for the Philippines about 2 months ago

I'm not sure why you are assuming that GADM data has a acceptable licence for OSM

@Simon, thanks for the link.
That is partly the reason why I'm saying the license is incompatible (paragraph 4), some borders from selected countries were given explicit permission, others may get this impression that GADM is kosher for OSM. I should have added that link in my post.

It is mostly a little offset that is all.

@Rovastar, that image is actually one of the "best" ;). In other areas it is worse, as Eugene mentioned in his reply, this is not a consistent offset issue. The second image in my post of Burauen, Leyte has a boundary offset by as much as 3km from the farthest village south. The imported boundary of this area closely resembles the GADM data although it might not come directly from GADM. As I said, there maybe other sources but all of these data are similar to GADM in terms of quality.

adding something that is roughly/nearly/high percentage correct instead of the alternative which is, well, nothing at all

In most cases, I agree with the "roughly/nearly/high percentage correct instead of nothing at all" mantra except for admin boundaries. There are various factors in play such as maintaining relations integrity, too few mappers, etc., but more importantly, unlike a road or a building, mappers cannot easily correct them through satellite imagery or field surveys with a GPS.

Mapping Party in Butuan, Agusan del Norte about 2 months ago

@Alan Bragg, thanks every node/way contributed helps.

Experimented on Mapping By Photo-geotagging 4 months ago

Hey! Really glad another Marikina mapper here! For photomapping, I suggest you also look at mapillary. Lately, I've been uploading my Marikina photos in mapillary:

Interested to meet sometime?

What's your OpenStreetMap story? 4 months ago

Here's my patch as GPS tracks.

I started mapping late 2006. Back then, OSM in the Philippines was completely blank. Maybe I made the first node? At first I struggled with everything, from borrowing GPSr to understanding the tools. I even tried to create a Garmin data cable since it is very expensive to buy a new one.

data cable

Perhaps the most stupid thing I did when I was starting was, without understanding any of the schema and API, I hand edited an OSM file because I had difficulty uploading with my flaky dial-up connection. I turned out that I completely messed up the map because I unintentionally removed negative ID values to the original data upload using JOSM! Fortunately, the talk list back then was very friendly and helped me fix it. ;)

Here's a few other mapping stories.

I was nearly attacked by 4 dogs trying to map an private residential area.

Nearly got into a heated argument with a group of illegal loggers while mapping the forests of Sierra Madre.

More stories here.

[Alt text](URL)

Mapillary trials 12 months ago

I'm getting the same issue sometimes (I'm blaming my ISP). Just try clicking the blue line to see photos. You can also file a bug report at mapillary's github account.

Water in OpenStreetMap about 1 year ago

This is nice challenge. However, I can't see it in the list of challenges in MapRoulette.

Iligan street map update about 1 year ago

Great! Deteiled mapping in Iligan started after Sendong. Its good to know that there are more locals contributing. Hope you find the data useful.

Iligan street map update about 1 year ago

Keep it up! Is this a local mapping initiative in Iligan? If you have questions, just ask.

Keep on mapping!

Maning OpenStreetMap-Philippines

@OsmThis: Twitter to OSM over 1 year ago ->

Moabi at State of the Map US over 1 year ago

Cool! Any plans for open sourcing the code? I'm particularly interested in the iD presets.

Mapping the Gran Cordillera Central over 1 year ago

Good luck with your docu entry! And its nice you do mapping on the side. ;)

Hello, OSM! over 1 year ago

Hi Ken,

I reported your issue in iD's github repo, please update if the problem persists. Thanks!

We need to look at consistency of coverage in the Philippines. Let's target LOD1 first. over 1 year ago

@/al, I updated the entry for the location of the images. If that is what you mean.

Hello, OSM! over 1 year ago

Welcom to the "tribe". :)

Bagong Simula about 2 years ago

Welcome din. Sana maging makabuluhan din ang iyong pagiging contributor dito sa OSM.

Rivers in Palawan not showing on main map almost 3 years ago

Disregard my comment. My speed reading missed that part of your post. :-)

Rivers in Palawan not showing on main map almost 3 years ago

Cycle, tranport and mapquest layer looks OK.

Will @MapBox allow imagery tracing for OSM? almost 3 years ago

Now available to paid users:

Using exif based geotag photos from phone to JOSM is not always reliable almost 3 years ago

What's even more weird is when I checked the details of the photo in the phone, it reports the lat/lon to up to 15 decimals! Way too much IMO.