malenki has commented on the following diary entries

Mapillary 10 months ago

I doubt the usability of this tag. Mapillary tends to have several pictures of one object, image=link_to_picture should be sufficient.

Besides, everybody should be able to research on his own if there are any images of an object in wikimedia, flickr, mapillary, google streeview etc.

A look at Scout Signs 11 months ago

Hi Martijn,

thanks for the reply. Bea and I exchanged some more emails and sorted everything out so far I think.
What bothers me with the offset of the scout signs placements to reality is that I assume there will be some mappers who "correct" the data in OSM to the scout signs. Since there is already an offset of 20+m at 30km/h (where I know the location of the sings and could measure) I'd assume a quite bigger offset on higher speeds.

untrue size of Berlin's Memorial of Europe's murdered Jews 11 months ago

I don't have more knowledge as described above. The aerial imagery is not too good, too. Maybe the operating foundation is willing to share some data?

A look at Scout Signs 11 months ago

RM87, no problem. The funny thing is after reading the first six words I knew where you wanted to post this answer. :)

key:xmas 11 months ago

Thanks for reminding me to clean up some Christmas markets other mappers did map but didn't update. :)

6000 EUR for OpenStreetMap 12 months ago

PS: You may also have a look at the last paragraph here

6000 EUR for OpenStreetMap 12 months ago

You may see the FOSSGIS as German local chapter. So far no "real" local chapter of the OSMF exists afaik.

When you speak German you may also have a look at the FOSSGIS' website of why, how and what the FOSSGIS does regarding OSM and of requests for funding.

6000 EUR for OpenStreetMap 12 months ago

The FOSSGIS e.V. is the registered association in Germany which handles "official" OSM stuff. Since lately woodpeck aka Frederik Ramm (who is quite well known) is the treasurer of the FOSSGIS.

Smartphone mounts about 1 year ago

@Bruno: Agree to your observations regarding blurred images du to shake/lack of light (or better: slow lens). Despite that there remains a big amount of good images – as of today all Mapillary imagery in Albania is by me, mostly done while walking, so have a look at it. :)

Project #OSMselfie: Put a human face on edits about 1 year ago

I meant this parking lot, sorry I was unspecific.
For me your image still doesn't work. Tried with FF, Opera and Midori.

Project #OSMselfie: Put a human face on edits about 1 year ago

Your selfie doesn't show:
no selfie
One of me you can find at, another at my profile. And yes, both are during surveying (in Albania).

btw: why did you delete the parking lot?
Changing the tags to "landuse=contruction" would have been sufficient – and had kept the history…

GORDON'S ALIVE about 1 year ago

@Richard: Well done – despite me preferring JOSM very much @Stalfur: what a luck that people using JOSM and iD are so ell trained they never make errors. :)
There is a 14-pages thread in the German forum for bad edits done by inexperienced users combined with the way iD used to handle landuses.

Hiking with Mapillary – aftermath about 1 year ago

@Kawohe: Yes, for walking I set the app to 1 picture per two seconds.
For seeing the pictures: As I wrote: | As of today I finally sent all the stuff back to Mapillary including the images which | they will add to the database on-site. I'd need about 90 days to upload them…
I can only guess but I'd say after the parcel arrived it will need another week for the images starting to show up – I haven't asked.
As I checked this morning, the parcel still hadn't left Germany – snail mail at its best. To help the really curious people I linked two places of which I had uploaded some pictures during the holidays.

(Yes, it is an unlucky solution that the Mapillary website shows minor sequences only from zoom levels 4 to 7 and then from ZL 14 again.)

Hiking with Mapillary over 1 year ago

When I have to map a lot I also go by bicycle and have a camera in the right hand. The advantage of a good compact camera is better image quality and better low-light-ability.

After having seen the Images taken by a good smart phone camera (see above) I am the more convinced that a smart phone in no regards matches my needs.
(btw: 20MP on a 1/2,3'' ccd are crazy anyway, but it seems the managers opinion is "small numbers don't sell")

Smartphone mounts over 1 year ago

I was driving normally and hadn't used special settings. The phone (Sony Xperia Z1 compact" is supposed to have a "good" camera – at least compared to other smart phones.
When you look at the sequence here recorded while walking you will see that the lens is not very fast and thus some images are shaky and/or blurred. A good compact camera would handle such situations better, but it is worth a lot to have both hands free while walking.

For settings: in Mapillary you can (un)check a setting to always use autofocus, else it is fixed focus all the time. I will try the latter to see if the number of blurred images decreases. It also has the setting "Disable Stable Shot" which after its description seems to cause a higher number of blurry images if disabled. (I had stable shot enabled all the time)

Which camera for capturing 'Street View'? over 1 year ago

For by-hand-geotagged photos:
You and other mappers with a fix mounted camera know that it points all the time straight forward.
But I would not assume that per default all pictures without EXIF heading flag show what lies directly in the course of the gpx track since I know my photographing behaviour when mapping house numbers, street names and alike. I point the camera where the information is I want to have. Example: Gjirokastra which I walked for three days to get all street names of the old town

I would welcome a GUI which shows the image on the one side, on the other side a map with some OSM layers and also Bing Imagery and the location of the image. Then the user would only need to klick on the map to mark the direction the image points to.
Alas my coding skills are not anywhere close to be able to write such a thing so I can just stick with begging for such a GUI…

If you think it is cumbersome to work on a load of images like this: On OpenStreetView I myself have nearly 29.000 images which I and two others reviewed and anonymized by hand – and there are some more users like me there.

For uploading to mapillary I'd like to have a easy method (FTP or a script) which I could use on a headless computer. I'd hate to have my big computer running all day just for uploading images where the NAS with a full linux could do this job as well.

I will point the mapillarians to this blog post as well so that we don't just lament but keep them informed. ;)

improper tags over 1 year ago

As I wasn't as experienced as I am now I also did not map everything I found after a frustrating fruitless search for appropriate tags in the OSM wiki.

Nowadays if I don't find a matching tag I pick the best matching english word for a value since the key mostly obvious, maybe add a note and also add it to a private collection of more or less undocumented tags

And even if the tag isn't approved "officially" other people can find and use or comment it.

Awesome data over 1 year ago

Of course you are right. But the piece of data you displayed above has no value I can recognise…

Too slow over 1 year ago

If it is just the online map loading slow you could browse the area you want to show before you present it sou you have the tiles cached. You could also use QLandkarteGT with an OSM-based Garmin map or Routeconverter's experimental branch using mapsforge¹ maps. Of course you should download the needed maps before attending the course.

Though it would be helpful if you would mention more clearly what on "the OSM map" is slow or what you try to achieve instead of complaining quite unspecific.

¹ Don't be offended by the name, it works on linux, too: or from

1001 messages over 1 year ago

So detailliert wollte ich es nicht aufschlüsseln – möglicherweise würde sich der Eine oder Andere in seiner Privatsphäre gestört fühlen. ;)