malenki has commented on the following diary entries

Welcome Message 11 months ago

I'd say the most important is: Make it short! Make it to the point!

At least when I think of how I handle "Welcome Messages" after registering my umpteenth account somewhere I skip every message which is longer than ~6 lines.
About a message with an essay as content I think: "I want to do XY which is why registered. The message I will read later – maybe."

Half of what you list (about, philosophy, donations) is already on or easily to reach from there. And earnestly: How many newly registered users do you think will immediately jump to join the OSMF?

A Mapper in the Spotlight: Dave Corley (Ireland) 11 months ago

This interview I really liked to read – especially I like the remarks on armchair mapping.

A Mapper in the Spotlight: Dave Corley (Ireland) 11 months ago

bot user accounts 12 months ago

Nakaner: Thank you. It seems "http://" got lost

bot user accounts 12 months ago

New users with edits you can find [here](
Really /all/ OSM data with all users who have ever edited you will find in the full history planet. This does not include user accounts who have never mapped.

bot user accounts 12 months ago

Hi oini,

Every user gets assigned an user ID which remains the same even if he changes the user name. The API shows you some details if you ask for them:
This page tells you the recent total number of create OSM user accounts: yesterday there were 2340247. But the number of user accounts doesn't correlate exactly with user IDs because now and then swathes of users got already deleted.
However, with a little trial and error I figured out which user registered at the time span I wanted to look at. Then I asked the API to deliver the user details for a certain range of numbers beginning with 3362504: (run on a bash in Linux)

for i in $(seq 2504 8504); do wget"$i"; done

The result you find in the zip file. I got 5130 newly registered user accounts from November 5th to 7th. Then I looked for "2015-11-07T" in the files and got all users from November 7th which existed until then.
My original purpose for looking at new user accounts was not to look for spam users but they were so obvious I had to talk about them.

What's your OpenStreetMap story? 12 months ago

A little late, but better late than never. ;)

I got to know OSM this way: In 2007 I went by bicycle to Paris. To have the journey in maps on the internet I spend days clicking around at Google Maps which were limited to 24 waypoints (A-Z). As I planned my trip for 2008 (cycling to Istanbul) I looked for easier ways to diplay the travelled way and found GPS-Loggers suitable for me. And while I read about them trying to find out which one would fit best somewhere I read about OpenStreetMap. Regrettably I don't remember more details.

What I remember very well was my first edit. After clicking "edit" flash stuff was loading. I clicked somewhere and suddenly was dragging around a line with the mouse pointer. Clicking around I couldn't get rid of the line, not to mention enhance the map. So I crossed my fingers and closed the tab hoping I hadn't made too much damage. Looking for a better editing tool I found JOSM and am stuck with it since.

Back then my region was quite bare so before starting my trip to Istanbul I already had mapped some highways in my town.

Now, about eight years later, I have made more then 10.000 edits, amongst them a bunch for HOT, filed ~170 bugs against JOSM (most of them are solved) and a lot of other OSM tools, helped translating JOSM, iD,, set up an OSM affiliate account for which generates meanwhile a nice monthly venue for OSM and now and then organised an OSM booth at some Linux and Outdoor gatherings. Once I even lectured about holidays with OpenStreetMap :).

Tent with lake and Mountains I still love to travel remote regions and OSM is a very useful help. I use it and its tools to prepare the journey, while travelling and back home I add a lot of data collected while being abroad.

But lately it seems there are more mappers using dubious map sources (to be euphemistic), don't name their sources and lack a lot in communication. Finding this out and warding it off consumes quite some energy and time I'd prefer to use for mapping myself "good" data. This takes out quite some of the fun of contributing to OSM.

Data issues in Japan about 1 year ago

In 2013 I asked about a cleanup for the similar tidy waterway import on the Japanese ML: The response was underwhelming.

Lake Ontario about 1 year ago

A discussion in February about the same topic with the hint that natural=coastline was already agreed on:

New ScoutSigns release - now with Mapillary power! over 1 year ago

I am unable to test it since with me it prevents JOSM from starting:

Creating .obf files for OsmAnd using Overpass Turbo API and OsmMapCreator over 1 year ago

Thank you for the write-up.

Tiny formatting hint: before 5a a linebreak got lost (happens easily with Markdown when forgetting to use to whitespaces before).

Missing Maps Mapathon Edinburgh, episode 2 over 1 year ago

For armchair mapping:

I am convinced that mapping from remote is useful and that a lot of persons with good common knowledge can do it with good results after a basic explanation with some examples with hopefully some on-the-ground photos.
For example one could explain: Big highways (primary or trunk) connect big cities, smaller highways (secondary, tertiary) connect smaller ones and between a lot of residential houses highway=residential is mostly appropriate. It doesn't matter if the surface is paved or not.

Even if the imagery is quite old it is unlikely that (major) highways disappear or inhabited places vanish completely.

Not sure what task(s) you worked at, but for example in ebola regions the organisations first hand needed to know where the people lived and how to get there. If you map all the houses (or the residential area) and the ways connecting them better guesses or even calculations can be made. It doesn't matter if you overlooked a dozen houses in a town or accidentially chose the wrong category of highway – the settlement and the street is there and thanks to you the people can be helped.

Gebäudemapping in Neubaugebieten mit GPS und ohne Luftbilder over 1 year ago

Es ging offenbar etwas verloren: | quer zur Richtung der Achse weniger stark aus, da sich die Achse | Innendienst

Zum Vereinigen von Ebenen kann man auch ctrl-m drücken.

Zum Thema: vor ein paar Jahren habe ich eine Siedlung mit GPS+Fotokamera (statt WPT zu setzen) erfasst. 20 Minuten Erfassung, 5 Stunden am Rechner… ;)

Editing of our travels in Iran completed over 1 year ago

Thank you. I will have a look at it.

Editing of our travels in Iran completed over 1 year ago

Is there a place where you wrote about your travels?

Erste OSM-Map erstellt. over 1 year ago

Eigene Kacheln auf eigenem Server sind imho nur erstrebenswert, wenn man wirklich viel Besucher hat oder einen eigenen Stil rendern will. Sat-Bilder: nimm doch die von Bing oder gar MapBox.

Zum Erstellen an sich: Ich hatte (und hab noch immer) nicht viel Ahnung von html&co, aber ein paar Vorlagen hernehmen und anpassen ging eigentlich recht einfach.

Evtl magst du auch einmal umap anschauen? Dort kann man sich Verschiedenstes recht bequem zusammenbauen.

Japan, why are you so beautiful? over 1 year ago

Like a lot of things the visualized data of Japan may look beautiful – but a close look makes you shiver. I am thinking of the imports I had a look at and for which I assume the most errors still won't be fixed.

Böse Überraschung almost 2 years ago

Wenn ein ausgeschilderter Wanderweg über einen Weg führt, der nicht öffentlich begehbar ist, hat entweder der Wanderwegwart geschlampt oder der Bauer hat gelogen.

In jedem Fall solltest du dich bei der Verwaltung der Kommune erkundigen, wer den Weg verantwortet und pflegt und um eine Lösung dieses Unfugs bitten.

(und sorry für den späten Kommentar ;) )

Time for a 'Map Your Outdoors Adventure' party! almost 2 years ago

May I link to an older blog post of mine? Walking Albania about 350 km for a second time was a great experience an an adventure no less. :)

(I had this blog post of your as tab in my browser since it's publication, now finally happen to comment it. :) )

Mapillary almost 2 years ago

I doubt the usability of this tag. Mapillary tends to have several pictures of one object, image=link_to_picture should be sufficient.

Besides, everybody should be able to research on his own if there are any images of an object in wikimedia, flickr, mapillary, google streeview etc.