lyx has commented on the following diary entries

Back to Chiapas backcountry. 3 months ago

thanks for contributing to OSM, and for this status update. Unfortunately I have to remind you of one unpleasant thing: We do not have permission to use information from Google Maps, so any names you copied from there will have to be removed. Leaving that data in OSM is a danger to our project. I know it's not fun, but please remove these names again. Having a very costly lawsuit for a brech of copyright is definitely even less fun.

Ersthilfe 6 months ago

schau am besten mal auf ob Du da fündig wirst.

Queensland DCDB as an iD background 7 months ago

I don't have the time for a detailed look at the moment, but my impression from reading your blog entry: That's really cool stuff! Thanks for sharing

US County Roads (from residential to track) 8 months ago

Well, the tracktype tag as I read the description is kind of a "summary" of the state of a track. The surface can be specified separately but is assumed to be unpaved except for tracktype=grade1. I would not use tracks with tracktype=grade3 or worse with a normal vehicle unless its the only way to reach my destination. I admit I had only looked at the western part of the way you linked originally; the eastern part I would classify tracktype=grade3. I also assume that road classification in the US is based on predominant use as it is in the rest of the world, other mappers may think different though. Personally I also don't use highway=residential for small unpaved lanes connecting a single farm to the road network and instead tag these as highway=service, surface=unpaved (or surface=gravel if I can identify it from images).

US County Roads (from residential to track) 8 months ago

correction: was supposed to be tracktype=grade4

US County Roads (from residential to track) 8 months ago

This appears to be a track consisting of compressed earth. I would tag that as highway=track, tracktype=4 (might be 3). I usually don't tag surface for tracks because it is hard to be sure from the aerial image, and the tracktype is sufficient to indicate quality.

It's time to import TIGER address ranges into OSM 8 months ago

Sure having addresses in OSM is nice. Unfortunately having them won't make much of a difference regarding the usability of OSM in the US, especially the rural parts, because what we need here first is fixing road geometry and classification: All over the rural US we have thousands of "residential roads" which in reality are mostly agricultural/forestry/mining tracks, many unclassified roads, some tertiary highways and very few are even really residential roads. Also important would be to get some information on road surface into the database, at least the information if the road is paved or not. So, if everyone who wants to import addresses into OSM would first pick a rural county and fix up the TIGER data there before proceeding with an address import (maybe just for that single county?) we would make a lot of progress IMHO.

Hamlets in US cities 9 months ago

In the areas I have seen these "hamlets" are mostly named trailer courts. Does anyone have a good idea how to tag these places instead of place=hamlet?

香港澳门台湾代办高额信用卡13729493170出售冒名信用卡黑卡 about 1 year ago

Tips Wisata - Mengunjungi Eropa about 1 year ago

Enters a group of Vikings, singing "Spam, Spam, wonderful Spam ..." First time I see spam here illustrated with a (seriously outdated) map, though.

What are these numbers? almost 2 years ago

Regarding the "local language": Signs in Qatar are usually bi- or tri-lingual with Arabic and English always present. At least my observation when visiting there was that basically everyone in Qatar was able to speak English while only about half of the people could speak Arabic, due to a very high number of immigrants.

What are these numbers? almost 2 years ago

The city quarters in Doha do indeed have a name and a number. AFAIR both are usually printed on local maps there.

Abandoned railway or gone forever? almost 2 years ago

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic already. Please have a look at and follow the links from there.

Trolle auf der Karte unterwegs / Trolling in OpenStreetMap map about 2 years ago

Ich vermute, Du meinst Ich tippe auf ein schlichtes Versehen und nicht auf Böswilligkeit / Vandalismus.

SEO about 2 years ago

And now all the Vikings sing: "Spam, Spam, wonderful Spam ..."

My first entry. about 2 years ago

Happy Birthday and Welcome!

Just to clear up a possible small misunderstanding: OSM does NOT use Bing as a basemap; the OSM map data is entirely independent. However, OSM users are allowed to use the BING aerial imagery (but NOT the map) to trace features in OSM.

Rivers in Palawan not showing on main map almost 3 years ago

hmm, apparently the rivers are now being rendered, but only for zoom 11. No idea what the problemfor the higher zoom levels is.

Rivers in Palawan not showing on main map almost 3 years ago

The problem was apparently caused by relation 1552282, a multipoligon relation for Palawan island. The outer ways were in the wrong order (not forming a continuous loop). I fixed that and now rivers begin to show again on the standard map. However, I don't understand what this relation is supposed to be used for. The island coastline is already defined by the coastline ways alone, no multipoligon relation needed for that.

Editing Kinmundy, Il, USA for accuracy about 3 years ago

A good starting point might be and the pages linked from there. An important background information that might take a while to discover on your own is that most of the US data on our map has been imported from other sources; for the street network the main source has been the TIGER data set (see ). This data set unfortunately had some serious quality problems, for example dirt driveways marked as normal road. You might have heard of that problem :-) In many other countries most of the data has been added by people collecting GPS traces or tracing aerial imagery. You might notice after a while that this leads to some cultural differences in the way people approach the problem of incorrect or incomplete map data. However, we have a common goal of working towards the best possible map and map data base ever. Outside the wiki there are mailing lists (see ), of special interest to US mappers might be the talk-us list, and there is a webforum (with among others a little used forum named users: United States). There is probably a lot of other stuff that I have forgot to mention, but you will find that yourself eventually.

Have fun mapping!

Editing Kinmundy, Il, USA for accuracy about 3 years ago

Well, the original TIGER data has a lot of driveways, alleys etc. marked as residentials highways (highway=residential), which is clearly an error and one of the problems with the TIGER data. So, to fix this problem, the driveways incorrectly marked as residential roads can be removed (which is perfectly ok), or they can be tagged as driveways (with highway=service, service=driveway) instead. In that case, where these driveways are private drives without public access, they should also be tagged as access=private.