lyx has commented on the following diary entries

Spotting Cemeteries in Texas 8 days ago

In cases where you don't see a cemetery at the location, it is often a good idea to zoom out a bit and look at USGS Topo maps for the area. At least the small cemeteries imported from GNIS are frequently off by a few yards, sometimes quite a bit more (I have seen up to half a mile in a few cases).

Translation Script 6 months ago

Thanks for publishing your script. Any users of this should be aware that using this script would be an "automated edit" where special rules apply. More information can be found at our wiki at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_edits

Address Import Ready 6 months ago

Hi,

please have a look at the import guidelines before uploading the data. They can be found at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines To make a "good" import is surprisingly hard, and the guidelines will help you to avoid at least the well-known problems.

Brisant: Ost-West-Trennung an der Glienicker Brücke wieder aktuell! 7 months ago

Das fröhliche Mappen aber bitte nicht mit Blick auf die Bilder von Google, das dürfen wir nämlich nicht.

New to Openstreet Map 8 months ago

Hi,

welcome to OSM. Just had a look at the Tuba City map, you made it a lot more useful with your first edits. One suggestion: You could tag the locally used "TC Hill" as "local_name" instead of amending the "name" field. That way it would not be displayed on the map, but could still be found when searching for the name. Or, move "Dynamite Hill" to official_name and set only "TC Hill" as "name". Same effect, the map would only show TC Hill, but searching for Dynamite Hill would work.

Greetings from Germany, Wolfgang

Training OpenStreetMap Tunisia 9 months ago

It might help if you tell us a bit more about what specific kind of training you are looking for. I just had a look and apparently there is no forum for the mapper community in Tunisia, and the mailing list appears to be unused. But you could check who is mapping in Tunisia and contact those mappers directly? Or contact mappers in neighboring countries; the forum for mappers in Algeria and the mailing list for Morocco seem to have some users.

Missing Dam in Germany 9 months ago

I usually map dams as an area, but cheating by omitting the underwater part. Recent example would be http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/384134161

Back to Chiapas backcountry. about 1 year ago

Hello,

thanks for contributing to OSM, and for this status update. Unfortunately I have to remind you of one unpleasant thing: We do not have permission to use information from Google Maps, so any names you copied from there will have to be removed. Leaving that data in OSM is a danger to our project. I know it's not fun, but please remove these names again. Having a very costly lawsuit for a brech of copyright is definitely even less fun.

Ersthilfe over 1 year ago

Hi,

schau am besten mal auf http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:OpenStreetMap_benutzen ob Du da fündig wirst.

Queensland DCDB as an iD background over 1 year ago

I don't have the time for a detailed look at the moment, but my impression from reading your blog entry: That's really cool stuff! Thanks for sharing

US County Roads (from residential to track) over 1 year ago

Well, the tracktype tag as I read the description is kind of a "summary" of the state of a track. The surface can be specified separately but is assumed to be unpaved except for tracktype=grade1. I would not use tracks with tracktype=grade3 or worse with a normal vehicle unless its the only way to reach my destination. I admit I had only looked at the western part of the way you linked originally; the eastern part I would classify tracktype=grade3. I also assume that road classification in the US is based on predominant use as it is in the rest of the world, other mappers may think different though. Personally I also don't use highway=residential for small unpaved lanes connecting a single farm to the road network and instead tag these as highway=service, surface=unpaved (or surface=gravel if I can identify it from images).

US County Roads (from residential to track) over 1 year ago

correction: was supposed to be tracktype=grade4

US County Roads (from residential to track) over 1 year ago

This appears to be a track consisting of compressed earth. I would tag that as highway=track, tracktype=4 (might be 3). I usually don't tag surface for tracks because it is hard to be sure from the aerial image, and the tracktype is sufficient to indicate quality.

It's time to import TIGER address ranges into OSM over 1 year ago

Sure having addresses in OSM is nice. Unfortunately having them won't make much of a difference regarding the usability of OSM in the US, especially the rural parts, because what we need here first is fixing road geometry and classification: All over the rural US we have thousands of "residential roads" which in reality are mostly agricultural/forestry/mining tracks, many unclassified roads, some tertiary highways and very few are even really residential roads. Also important would be to get some information on road surface into the database, at least the information if the road is paved or not. So, if everyone who wants to import addresses into OSM would first pick a rural county and fix up the TIGER data there before proceeding with an address import (maybe just for that single county?) we would make a lot of progress IMHO.

Hamlets in US cities over 1 year ago

In the areas I have seen these "hamlets" are mostly named trailer courts. Does anyone have a good idea how to tag these places instead of place=hamlet?

香港澳门台湾代办高额信用卡13729493170出售冒名信用卡黑卡 almost 2 years ago

Spam

Tips Wisata - Mengunjungi Eropa almost 2 years ago

Enters a group of Vikings, singing "Spam, Spam, wonderful Spam ..." First time I see spam here illustrated with a (seriously outdated) map, though.

What are these numbers? over 2 years ago

Regarding the "local language": Signs in Qatar are usually bi- or tri-lingual with Arabic and English always present. At least my observation when visiting there was that basically everyone in Qatar was able to speak English while only about half of the people could speak Arabic, due to a very high number of immigrants.

What are these numbers? over 2 years ago

The city quarters in Doha do indeed have a name and a number. AFAIR both are usually printed on local maps there.

Abandoned railway or gone forever? over 2 years ago

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic already. Please have a look at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dabandoned and follow the links from there.