lxbarth has commented on the following diary entries

A new way of fast browsing of latest changes over 1 year ago

seav -

I think another vital tool is a way to easily analyze a single changeset.

Interesting... didn't know of OSM History Viewer. I see it's slow computing some changesets, how could it be fast? Just preprocess them all?

A new way of fast browsing of latest changes over 1 year ago

Mikel -

Issue is that it only works efficiently at high zoom level

we could get to lower zoom levels by speeding up the API endpoints - i. e. getting tiled data. Not sure what'd be involved there in terms of setting up infrastructure or what existing APIs (overpass?) we could use here but it's a solved problem from an architecture perspective.

LearnOSM Relaunched over 1 year ago

balrog-kun - I see, wasn't aware of a PDF. I just posted a ticket to Jeff Haack: https://github.com/hotosm/learnosm/issues/73

LearnOSM Relaunched over 1 year ago

balrog-kun - I'm pretty certain there's never been a Polish version. I've been in the past tricked into thinking there was one as the Indonesian flag looks so similar. I'm sure a Polish version would be welcome though.

Michelin publishing a first paper map based on OSM ! over 1 year ago

They just did this quietly? Or is there a larger announcement somewhere?

Guided Tagging by an interpreter of XML-formated rules over 1 year ago

Hey karlos -

Check out the Taginfo projectt or pop into #ideditor and suggest your idea to tmcw, jfire, richardf et al.

If you'd like to see how taginfo is currently being used, check out iD's code: https://github.com/systemed/iD

Related reading:

Spot checking the openstreetmap-carto style over 1 year ago

I see a flaw in your setup that might be the cause of a lot of the differences. Mapnik is not very determenistic and small variance in the input data such as order of elements etc. can make a big difference in the rendered map. You are using a relativly newly imported database for the carto rendering and a very old database for the osm rendering. For a propper comparason you should use the same database for both maps.

Thanks for pointing this out, Gnonthgol. I sort of had this hunch especially with label placement.

I would love to see some new development on the osm style.

Can't wait for that, personally.

Test driving iD over 1 year ago

Zverik: I just opened an issue for that

Test driving iD over 1 year ago

Stereo: you're spot on, I should be closer to the footprint :)

aseerel4c26: what looks like curve refinement, there isn't much curve refinement going on right now :) Glad you're excited about movement on iD though, expect a more comprehensive update on development status before the end of the year.

Hyattsville Mapping Party over 1 year ago

I don't think I would have ever made it to Hyattsville if not for OpenStreetMap. As ever, it's a perfect way to pay more attention and see the hidden world just around the corner.

Right on.

Here's a quick rendering of the changes produced so far from yesterday's mapping party, as far as I can see not all changes have been entered yet. Click for interactive map:

The end of the party - Operation Cowboy almost 2 years ago

O, the town of Thank you, Montana :D

Thanks to you for setting this up!

In Tokyo for State of the Map 2012 about 2 years ago

@LivingWithDragons - fantastic. I'll see you there.

OpenStreetMap workshops with Ônibus Hacker in Rio de Janeiro about 2 years ago

Yup, real. Beautiful animal, right? Just the guitar shop in itself was great.

What's the story behind these disconnected streets in Lima? about 2 years ago

Update: Rub21 has done a lot of work in cleaning up Lima and got it to a pretty good point. We got awesome help by WernerP

Here's a rough viz showing the edits in the past month:

Going to Rio - who'd be up for some OpenStreetMap fun? about 2 years ago

Skippern - thanks for mentioning, I am following it. I should have updated here.

Also: there the HackerBus from São Paulo will be in Rio - more info on the thackday list. The tentative plan is to do an OSM workshop on Saturday, June 16 in Complexo do Alemão.

Quick report on walking papers work in Brasilia over 2 years ago

Hey alexz - just seeing your comment now. After a discussion on the tagging list, we're planning on using a closed way tagged

place=block area=yes

for blocks. Issue right now is that such ways won't show up on OSM.org : p

Campo Grande is a desert! over 2 years ago

Amazing attitude, muzito. And... nice work guys: progress is pretty amazing...