This is an update on the ongoing import of New York City buildings and addresses. For background read up on New York City and OpenStreetMap cooperating through Open Data
We have taken the time to take a close review of existing uploads. Here are some issues we've found that are worth highlighting as we restart the import.
- Make sure every upload to OpenStreetMap completely validates and all critical warnings are resolved before you update.
- Critical warnings are at least any warnings or errors that stem from
- Buildings overlapping with buildings
- Buildings overlapping with other features they cannot overlap with such as roads
- Resolve not only buildings duplicate with existing buildings but also addresses duplicate with existing addresses
- Merge point of interest information from existing nodes to new buildings when they clearly building-level such as schools, fire houses, super markets, etc.
To get started head over to the tasking manager carefully (re) read instructions and grab a task.
Make your life easier and get these JOSM styles for buildings and addresses by emacsen. They'll allow you to see issues with the data better. Learn how to install them in JOSM docs.
If you have any questions, fire away here on the comment thread.