kocio has commented on the following diary entries

Planned rendering changes of protected areas 9 days ago

Protect_class=7 is closer, but you tell us that won't be rendered.

No, I didn't. What made you think like that?

Please read again rendering section. I haven't said that anything would not be rendered, it's rather about rendering priority and testing how would this particular idea work in practice.

Planned rendering changes of protected areas 9 days ago

Please don't try to alter what's on the ground to make the rendering prettier.

I don't even plan to move away from home, let alone change some objects on the next continent...

The state of conservation areas in the world seems to be quite complicated and my ambition is rather to make it sane in general. I don't even have a hope to make it "pretty".

Planned rendering changes of protected areas 10 days ago

Thanks, that's another thing to test...

I will start with using different zoom levels, but most probably there will be more than just one change.

Planned rendering changes of protected areas 10 days ago

We already have keys for ownership - no need to introduce anything new and mix it with other features.

We have the name of the owner (I guess you mean operator= tag), but it does not tell if it's private, governmental or something other. That's why governance_type=private_landowner is needed.

Planned rendering changes of protected areas 10 days ago

For me there are more problems: - tags fragmentation - lack of clear classification system - borders clutter - labels clutter (as shown on your rendering)

My questions: 1. Maybe skipping borders would help, but when should they appear? 2. But you also show some border here - how did you select just the outer one?

Legende für die Standardebene 15 days ago

Thanks for this work!

I have updated it lately and there are still some things missing, but it is the most comprehensive key that we may have. I doubt that we could do that in the automated way.

Hail Hydra(nt)! - GenSan edition 5 months ago

In Poland we're using special app for hydrants surveying:

There are also special sites for viewing them:

OpenStreetMap Carto v3.0.0 12 months ago

To be more precise: subway entrances refs are rendered now.

Please add population numbers to places about 1 year ago

Hangzhou and Xuzhou are now visible, I guess - there were just some problems with the proper code, which were fixed in v2.44.1.

I think adding population numbers would be an overkill for a general map.

One Does Not Simply Walk into Mordor... about 1 year ago

There are also other places called Mordor, I don't know if these names are real or fake:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/409822789 http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/324839921

CJK fonts missing in standard layer (follow-up) about 1 year ago

That's probably problem with mod_tile not processing TTC file format.

GSoC'15 Project update over 1 year ago

Is it still a proof of concept or there's a chance to have it deployed?

OpenStreetMap Carto release v2.42.0 over 1 year ago

Quite fast, looking at last two versions it was up to one day:

https://github.com/openstreetmap/chef/issues/70 https://github.com/openstreetmap/chef/issues/71

For new version deployment watch this issue:

New road style for the Default map style - the second version over 2 years ago

Can you maybe give an example where this happens? It is worth testing.

Just a quick search.

New road style for the Default map style - the second version over 2 years ago

At least roads through beaches are rare.

They may be running through the natural=sand however (for example in some areas of Africa).

I have no strong notion toward showing "major" buildings at this level, size matters more in this case. I would rather skip showing all the buildings for now, because they won't make any pattern anyway (and that's what other users were interested in), but maybe we could find sane threshold for displaying really big/important buildings. However I guess we don't have to do it now and add them later if needed.

Last but not least: I'm deeply impressed by the work you've done already and the way you interact with the rest of community! While it's called merely "new road style", for me it's much needed general overhaul of the middle zoom levels, because you also care for many other details. Thanks, and I mean A LOT! =}

New road style for the Default map style - the second version over 2 years ago

I think making landuse=residential darker would compensate also for lack of buildings on this level. IMO z12 is middle scale and the most important shapes here are lines (roads, railways), landuses/natural areas (water, forest, residential, industrial, military, fields, airports...) and names of cities/towns/villages. Individual buildings just don't belong here - their generalized "pattern" is just landuse area.

But if we want to show some buildings anyway, I would consider rendering special buildings only (also called "major"). Currently they are just places of worship, but it's way too narrow and we should expand it with other public building types, like castle or stadium. This way we would have overall impression where people live (landuse=residential) and we could spot the most important buildings easily.

About problems with [surface=unpaved; access=destination] roads over 2 years ago

I think the only sane solution is to just start drawing landuse=residential where they are still not tagged. This is exactly kind of synthetic measure needed for low and medium level, the same as other types of areas like forests, farmlands or water.

Residential roads clearly belong to higher zoom level, z=12 is too early for them - it already makes more complete mapped places look worse and less mapped places look better, so I consider it kind of penalty for making good work.

Why should we wait any longer - and how long should it be?

What's your OpenStreetMap story? over 2 years ago

I was already Linux citizen journalist and an active Wikipedian, so OSM was just next interesting project to try contributing to. I started with streets and house numbers in my hometown and today I mostly like micromapping it with shops and services (because I never remember such details as opening hours!) or other local amenities to reflect real space better and try to make default map style better suited for this task (I designed and proposed a few icons lately), because it's fun and I think many average users would also like to have the most detailed map of their neighborhood possible. I also try to translate tools like JOSM or Wiki pages, because I use it a lot and I want to lower the entry barrier for other mappers.