escada has commented on the following diary entries

Mapillary Have a Special Hell Reserved Just For Me 15 days ago

I had informed them via twitter, here's their reply: https://twitter.com/peterneubauer/status/801408335299969024

I'm also part of a dev team that builds, deploys and maintains a webapp for a rather small audience. But yes, it is sometimes a problem to keep things running. Even with all kind of monitoring tools, it is still a challenge. So I'm certainly not complaining.

Mapillary Have a Special Hell Reserved Just For Me 15 days ago

It was not only their harvester that stopped working, one of there web server had to be restarted as well earlier this week.

Time to cleanup the wikipedia:xx tags? 17 days ago

@Minh Nguyen: Will I automatically end up with the Dutch version of the article when I click "a link" containing the French wikipedia article ? If so, there is no problem. It is a problem if I have to click another link to get to the Dutch wikipedia page.

I doubt everybody is comfortable that there is a direct link to the Dutch wikipedia and not to the French (or vice versa). I fear that it might start war edits among some groups of "language-fanatics".

Time to cleanup the wikipedia:xx tags? 19 days ago

As someone who lives in a country with 3 official languages, I would prefer that you leave the wikipedia:xx tags as they are right now. It's not because there is only a wikipedia:fr tag at the moment that the feature cannot be updated in the future to also have a wikipedia:nl tag.

Perhaps it would be better to retag all the wikipedia=xx:... to wikipedia:xx=... ? :-)

Anyway, this can easily be done while importing the data. So perhaps, people should create a github repository that contains all kinds of scripts that make the data more uniform in their opinion. The people that want to import data locally, can then choose which scripts they want to run.

Fehler beim Speichern about 1 month ago

Sorry, for the English, but see: https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/52780/erroneous-version-mismatch (there was a server problem)

MY NEW OPS about 2 months ago

I totally agree with Warin61. Here are some wiki pages that you might find useful as a guide for road classification

Mapping considered Malicious (if Fire Hydrants) about 2 months ago

Alex,

you might be interested in the following bits of information:

This talk at SOTM US by an officer from a fire department, explains in which information they are interested. Besides the fire hydrants of course.

And there are at least 2 maps that show fire hydrants * OsmHydrant * OpenFireMap

I also map a lot of fire hydrants. In Belgium, most of them are underground, probably less vulnerable to vandalism, although I still have to see the first pillar shaped one that is vandalized. The markers on the other hand are often in bad condition. The main problem with underground fire hydrants in rural areas is that they tend to get overgrown or are covered with sand.

Mysterious Markers Solved? about 2 months ago

I think that typically the fire hydrants are mapped. But you could perhaps map the markers with the scheme for pipeline markers.

Access restriction data architecture about 2 months ago

There are some cases where access tags on a single node is correct. Some barriers are placed to prohibit through traffic by cars, but allow e.g. pedestrians and cyclist to pass. So here we have a barrier (typically bollard or cycle_barrier) with specific access permission and the two roads with public access. Cars can drive up to the bollard from both side, but cannot pass it. But for other cases, I agree that permissions on the ways are preferable.

Wikipedia and OSM collaboration about 2 months ago

Just to make sure: the JOSM Wikipedia plugin helps a human to add the tags, but the human is still required. There is no automated process to update any OSM tag based on Wikipedia/Wikidata.

Wikipedia and OSM collaboration about 2 months ago

@Hjart: I'll try out that plugin as soon as possible.

Wikipedia and OSM collaboration about 2 months ago

@naveenpf That's a change in the editor so whenever someone adds a Wikipedia tag in the editor, the Wikidata id is retrieved and added as well. This means that no wikidata tag will be added when the user does not add a wikipedia tag in the first place. I assume the wikidata tag is not updated in any other way (unless someone adds it manually).

The data will then only be changed in the OSM database when the user uploads the data. No automatic update of data in OSM database.

In the UK there has been an project to match OSM objects with wikidata and update them. Search the talk-gb mailing list archives in case you are interested.

For the rest: it's up to the mappers to add this data, just like BushmanK wrote.

State of the Map : Some BoF sessions about 2 months ago

So far I only tried to find some light towers and city halls in Belgium, to see whether they where already mapped.

You are probably right about the language. I still have the same problem with Overpass, but at least things like "node["man_made"="lighttower"]({{bbox}});" is partially readable unlike "?item wdt:P31 wd:Q39715 ."

False labling of addresses 2 months ago

When I search for Tarrant, Jefferson Country on Nominatim (http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=157944963) I do not see Birmingham at all in the response.

Maybe we should sue you for passing false information ? :-) :-) :-)

Road Segments, naming streets and Town-land boundries 2 months ago

Every tried JOSM ? You can select multiple road segments and assign any tag to the selected segments. So you only have to type name="This is a road with a long name that I only want to type once" once.

You can add name, old_name, official_name, local_name, etc. to a road. But get in touch with the Irish community (mailing list, Facebook group) to get a "local" answer.

Ideas from an introductory OSM session at Trichy 2 months ago

Great job ! Good to see people educating children about OSM.

The idea of the teacher reminded me of John Snow's map to illustrate the cholera outbreak in Londen in 1854. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1854_Broad_Street_cholera_outbreak) She wants to find "hotspots" or neighbourhoods where those students are coming from. umap or something similar would be perfect for that.

How many POIs does OpenStreetMap have? 2 months ago

And then you forgot to look at the tourism tag (hotel, museum, etc.) :-)

Ramblings about State of the Map 2 months ago

And it was good to see you in person Zverik. At least I talked to you :-)

Ramblings about State of the Map 2 months ago

I know there was beer, but I thought there was only 1 brand, not ? I haven't seen anyone with anything else than pils, no real beers like Duvel :-) Not that it would have made a difference, I drunk water all evening as I had to drive back home.

Ramblings about State of the Map 2 months ago

Thanks for the invitation, Andy.