escada has commented on the following diary entries

Belgian Mapper of the Month: Escada 1 day ago

Alan,

Glad you liked it.

There is a translation of the Wochennotiz in English, so you don't have to do the translation yourself, see http://www.weeklyosm.eu/ And otherwise, Chrome can translate it automatically for you. While it might be "broken" English, I assume you will get the point most of the time.

First Major Edits 7 days ago

I looked at some of your changesets (http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/KoHoSo/history#map=13/34.2363/-117.1902) that you made over a year ago: - the first one was a library, which is still on the map http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/368170190 - the other was for an ice cream shop: http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/21676814 that one is also still there - then there is e.g. also a dog park: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/278141234, but that is not rendered on the standard map, but the data is still there.

Can you provide a link to the changeset with the data that is removed ?

Don't know what to think of it of this research 17 days ago

@Joost, when he/she would have contacted the community, we would be warned and might have be more alert to changes and/or actively start looking for them. So he/she couldn't do that without influencing the study they wanted to make.

It would be more correct to see e.g. how fast an actual speed limit change was added to OSM. But of course that would mean they should know about the change from the beginning.

You might wonder what's the next study: steal something from a shop and see how fast the police can find you ? And when you are not catched after 3 months, bring back the goods ? :-)

There was a time were I watched new people as well in my area, but unfortunately I do not do that anymore for various reasons (o.a. time). Though I regret now that I didn't investigate this user's changesets better.

Don't know what to think of it of this research 18 days ago

As SimonPoole asked, I informed the DWG with the changeset in question and the user name. I had already informed the user via the changesets comments about this diary entry.

Don't know what to think of it of this research 18 days ago

For the record, the mistake I found was in the Flemish part of Belgium, so they might be Belgians as well.

Don't know what to think of it of this research 18 days ago

The one that I found on April 1, 2015 was introduced on March 18, 2015. Assuming all other mistakes were introduced at the same moment, they were in the database for 3 months.

Airline offices in Kampala (UG) about 2 months ago

I fear that this is an import. Did the website allow you to copy its data into another database ?

Panneaux publicitaires dans OSM 2 months ago

Do you know https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/advertising ?

Пешеходный роутинг: чатик посовещался и решил 3 months ago

The same is true for bicycle, that is also part of access. Do you know bicycle=use_sidepath ? it is used for exactly the same reason: prevent routers from sending cyclist over the main road while there is a cycle path next to it (that has to be used in normal circumstances).

Пешеходный роутинг: чатик посовещался и решил 3 months ago

why not foot=use_sidepath similar to bicycle=use_sidepath ?

Belgian Mappers of the Month: Ruben & Josefien 3 months ago

That's a funny way to explain what you are doing. I have never been bothered, but I survey while I walk the dogs. People expect to see people walking dogs everywhere, so they don't mind. And I usually take notes on a GPS, which looks like a phone from a distance. Nobody care when you are texting

Kleine veranderingen 3 months ago

Hallo,

welkom bij OSM. Hopelijk zien we snel je eerste bijdragen verschijnen. Volgens mij is het wel niet gebruikelijk om voor iedere individuele parkeerplaats een amenity=parking te creëren. Die worden volgens enkel gebruikt voor grote plekken waar veel auto's kunnen staan, zie ook de uitleg onder de wiki pagina

Misschien eerst eens navragen op het Nederlandse forum ?

alvast veel plezier met het mappen

Rückblick auf die FOSSGIS 2015 in Münster und Ausblick auf die Zukunft der FOSSGIS 4 months ago

Thanks !

it seems like all your links point to the same presentation

The actual link to Claas Leiners presentation is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhGeaTBfFuA&list=PLTli5-lbeoiYopkK5ixkgt1Uzh_0v6Z6T&index=11

Improving the OSM map - Why don't we? [3] 4 months ago

I think they should be mapped as survey points

Improving the OSM map - Why don't we? [3] 4 months ago

I've contacted to creator of the man_made=1417-32 node. Asked what the objects represents, and proposed to improve the tagging together. Hope (s)he understands English.

I've met several people that do not know about the existence of the mailing lists. With some luck they find the help website. I wonder how many people don't know about the community around OSM.

I've suggested elsewhere that it would be nice if the editors (iD, JOSM, ...) would show a help popup depending on the region you are editing. Each country could then add a short message with the best way to contact other mappers, be it email, forum, Facebook, irc, ...

Improving the OSM map - Why don't we? [2] 4 months ago

Those bicycle repair stations where recently imported by Brice Nesbitt (if I'm not mistaken). I assume the import didn't had more details. It's up to the local mappers to add more detail. This is always the case in OSM. We start with the basics and later iterations will add more detail.

On the other hand, it's probably save to assume that such a repair station has all the basics to repair your bike. So why bother adding more detail ?

I'll agree with you on the recycle container, all the no's don't give any more value.

Improving the OSM map - Why don't we? [1] 4 months ago

On one hand, it is better to have one tagging scheme for 1 feature. On the other hand you have just showed how easy it is to retrieve data using the different tagging scheme's. So you might wonder why it is a problem to have different schema's in place.

Maybe we should just develop a query language that can deal with different schemas and synonyms.

Busroutes in Brugge 4 months ago

I have been collaborating with Jo a lot and I have a total different impression on how he handles existing data. I'm pretty sure he is willing to listen to your arguments.

Busroutes are not imported. Jo wrote a script that generates a proposal based on the busstops. Before uploading, he tweaks the busroutes.

Even when you disagree with his method, it would be in the interest of OSM to use the same version of the public transport tagging scheme in all of Belgium. I don't know whether this is a problem at this moment.

You won't find a lot of (Belgian) people with an interest in busroutes via your diary I fear. Almost all discussion is going on on the Belgian mailing list. This is by far the most popular way of communicating with other mappers.

Anyhow, good luck with your quest.

regards