escada has commented on the following diary entries

Add this place please about 12 hours ago

We cannot use Google as a source to map something.

If you are local, you can add the place yourself. It's not that difficult. Just create an account on www.openstreetmap.com, start the iD editor, follow the tutorial and start editing.

Happy mapping

Just uploaded my first track 16 days ago

Hello Light Lee,

welcome to OSM. Be warned, it can be very addictive :)

No you cannot add additional information to the GPS trace. You can in any editor show your trace (even without uploading it to OSM) and retrace with the drawing tools offered by the editor. After tracing you can start adding the type of path/road and the surface characteristics.

The GPS trace is never automatically converted to an OSM way. The reason: in general a GPS trace contains a lot of errors, depending on the accuracy of the device. This is on its turn affected by the place you are travelling. Much worse near tall buildings or under trees.

Warin61 already pointed out a good guide and the iD editor comes with a build in tutorial.

Have fun mapping your trail

regards

Participation biases in OSM: Survey now LIVE! 29 days ago

SeleneYang I will certainly look at your video presentation.

Thanks for suggesting a tag that is not mapped by male mappers (but apparently also not by female mappers), but I wonder whether you will find any vending machine for female hygiene on the outside of buildings, unlike vending machines for condoms. At least in the area where I live. According to taginfo, there are 2 vending tags that contain feminine_hygiene (together with some other values). Maybe there are other words used for the same item ?

But I see your point, areas that are forbidden for men (such as toilets) cannot be mapped in detail without women. Are there other problems, or missing or better underrepresented tags ? I find this question more interesting than how many female mappers we have (not enough that is for sure).

Participation biases in OSM: Survey now LIVE! about 1 month ago

Was there any research so far on "This has led to assertions that various geospatial knowledge could be under represented or poorly recorded on the map' ? Do we know what female mappers would add or what female users of a map would like to see on a map ?

Are any of those features mapped less by male mappers ? Are the specific regions where this make (or does not make) a difference ?

I honestly have no idea. So far I managed to interview 3 female mappers for my Mapper of the Month series and I see no difference in what they map and what I map.

I once read that there are a lot of pubs in OSM and that this is because there are a lot of male mappers. In Belgium we use "pub" as well for places where families go on an afternoon because there is a playground and one can drink coffee/tea as well as beer and eat pancakes/ice cream. In the evening those places are used for dinners. Not really family-unfriendly places. But we also use the same tag for what we call "Café" in Dutch and French, which are close to the stereotype pub of drinking and smoking.

So counting male vs. female contributors is one thing, and rather easy to accomplish. But is the mapping behaviour different ?

Maybe we have only people that love to bike and hike (where the needs of female/male contributors are more or less the I think).

Lot's of questions, unfortunately I have no answers

multilingual names in Canada about 1 month ago

Even if you are doing it perfectly in Canada, it would be nice to document how it is done. This would allow newcomers and data consumers understand how it is done.

Mistakes & Regrets I've Made Editing OpenStreetMap about 1 month ago

What's wrong with using OpenStreetCam on a footpath ?

Too many Idiot-Mappers in Ecuador 3 months ago

Enrique1984 did 4 edits, all of them over a year ago. Perhaps he didn't know his drawings were going live immediately after saving them ?

In general it's best to reach out to those people in a friendly way, telling them how OSM works. However, when the user didn't do anything for over a year, you just have to fix the problem.

There is nothing that can be done to overcome this problem. When there are enough mappers, each one monitoring an area, those problems will be picked up quickly. Unfortunately this will not work in a country with a small community.

Excuse me, how do you use this map? 4 months ago

Can you explain what you mean with "these codes doesn't work" ? Is the map not show ? Is your program crashing ? There is so much that can you wrong that it is impossible to guess where you are stuck.

Irland für Garmin 4 months ago

(Sorry for the English)

You could use http://extract.bbbike.org/ to download the map for Ireland. Pick of the Garmin formats. Just place the downloaded file in the GPX folder of your device.

This is the help page of the website: http://extract.bbbike.org/extract.html

Here are some instructions in German: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:OSM_Map_On_Garmin

And for this type of questions will get more answers when you use e.g. the German forum: https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=14

How would you map this? 5 months ago

@Paul Johnson, oh, I see it now, you model your u-turn via that way. It's a bit unfortunate that it now seems like there are 2 places where one can make a u-turn coming from the east. But I see no better method to map the N-to-E way.

I would have mapped the traffic signals differently though (not that you did it). Not on the junction nodes, but on the ways approaching the junction in order to avoid that dumb data consumers would think I had to pass 3 traffic signals when travelling from E to W. (as explained in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtraffic_signals - tag all incoming one-ways).

How would you map this? 5 months ago

Is there a turn restriction on the 3100 South with the one way coming from the north ?

How would you map this? 5 months ago

Do you know the draft proposal https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/transit ?

How would you map this? 5 months ago

@NunoCaldeira, sorry for the confusion, I'm talking about the small segment between the N-S ways of the E-W street. I now see that there are no lane markers, but isn't it weird that the lanes do not continue there ? Sorry, I come from a European context, where the lanes really continue over the junction. So in this case one shouldn't map the lanes there.

How would you map this? 5 months ago

@NunoCaldeira I would add the turn lanes also to the way between the N and S ways. I do not understand your turn restrictions for the street from N. Only right & straight ? Your turn lanes tell me something else.

How would you map this? 5 months ago
  • dual carriage ways for N/S
  • are the cycleways tracks ? (hard to see on the picture) Would make tagging easier
  • W: lanes=8;lanes:forward=5;lanes:backward=3:turn:lanes:backward=none;none|merge_to_left then a shorter piece with 7 lanes, very similar but with turn:lanes:forward=left|left|through|through|right (if the arrows are indicated on the signs)
  • E similar to west
  • Since S/N are dual carriage ways, no need to split in forward/backward
  • N, similar for the top part, then split at the right turn + propably no right turn restriction at the actual crossing
  • O yes, and for the end of that right turn, a only_right restriction for going to W

I am not familiar with the signs on the 2nd lane from the right in S.

Belarus in Belarusian + bilingual / trilingual / quadrilingual names in Europe 5 months ago

All towns in Belgium that are officially bilingual also show this on osm.org. Same is true for Switserland.

So I wonder why you think that their names only appear in 1 language. Which map did you use ?

Paris is a bicycle shop 6 months ago

Wambacher has a dedicated site with daily checks for the boundaries: http://osm.wno-edv-service.de/index.php/10-osm-reports/838-countries-compare-2017-03-21

The number of boundaries and their size is checked. Perhaps he could check for name changes as changes to the admin nodes as well ?

Mapper of the Month 7 months ago

@PlaneMad: thanks

Mapper of the Month 7 months ago

@dfjs good to see I'm not the only one combining sighthounds and OSM :)

Mapper of the Month 8 months ago

@H@mlet: link added. sorry for the inconvenience