escada has commented on the following diary entries

A Mapper in the Spotlight: Dave Swarthout (USA/Thailand) 6 days ago

Sorry to hear that Warin61. Didn't know that surveying for OSM was dangerous.

A Mapper in the Spotlight: Dave Swarthout (USA/Thailand) 6 days ago

My pleasure primej, I learned already a few things about Thailand thanks to Dave

Japan road alignment - Taking it further 9 days ago

Of course with the "m" key it depends on the order in which you select the nodes, which road keeps its layout

Japan road alignment - Taking it further 9 days ago

Great work and nice write-up of the different JOSM actions that can be used.

I prefer the "n" key over "m" or "j" to attach a node to another way, as it keeps the layout of the way.

A Mapper in the Spotlight: Clifford Snow 26 days ago

Alan, I'm glad you liked my choice. I think I've met several interesting people on the mailing lists and fora, so it was hard to pick a first one.

Getting to know the OSM editors 2 months ago
  1. I use different nodes in the same building for each POI. So one node per shop and per office. Try to position them as close as possible to the real world position. You could add more detail with indoor mapping tag if you are interested
  2. Draw a path from the street to the door, connect with the building add entrance=yes to the node on the building and path. I've seen some people adding operator to the node to indicate to which shop it belongs.
  3. I don't understand. A bus route should only contain information about the bus route: i.e. stop positions and the road segments it follows. You should not add a shop to a bus route just because the bus passes the shop. Can you explain better what you try to achieve ?

As for the overpass API, there was a Google Code of Summer project were a student developed a platform to learn Overpass:

In case you have problems mapping something, is a good place to start looking for answers. You could also try to get in touch with your local community. They might be using a mailing list, forum, Facebook page, IRC, etc. You're not alone. Don't be shy to ask questions.

Happy mapping

POI nodes with over 100 tags 2 months ago

Seems like you can add a lot of tags (126) to a lighthouse: :-)

Hello [OSM]world! 2 months ago

Welcome Tom. Good to see you have a good time mapping

Mid-August Mapathon: Inputting Field Papers Data from Zimbabwe and Bangladesh into JOSM 3 months ago

looking forward to read your "Meet the Mappers". I really enjoy this type of articles. We try to do something similar in Belgium.

CLC06 Import Cleanup Part Two 3 months ago

nice job !

What are the Benefits of GPS Tracking 3 months ago

A lot of traces can help one to align aerial images. They are not always aligned up with the reality. There are also places where you cannot see the path or road on the aerial images, e.g. in forests.

Maybe you can also read the answer to

After Holiday Fun 3 months ago

ja, in der Tat

post-vacations map editing 3 months ago

I'm actually editing OSM during the vacation. Should I seek help for this behaviour ? :-)

People who blindly "fix" things in OSM 3 months ago

I've met many things like this during my virtual tour around Belgium. A couple of other things: I see at least 1 place that need a couple of turn:restrictions (the node just south of the bridge), as there is a continuous white line that prevents turning left when you come from the right "circle". And you cannot turn onto the left "circle" when you come from the south.

Also the connections of the links with the motorway are in the wrong place. Exit points should really be at the end. While the entry should be at the beginning. The rest has to be "solved" with turn lanes. Please at the correct number of lanes and turn lanes as well, this helps the navigation aids given by e.g. OsmAnd.

happy mapping

Stargardzka w ciągu DK10 3 months ago

Sorry for the English: in general only 1 way for both directions if there is no physical separation. White lines as in your example are no reason for 2 (osm) ways.

Do you need to switch between 2 ways to 1 and back for short sections ? I wouldn't do that. The same is through for small traffic islands that can be mapped with "traffic_calming=island" So you do not have to switch from 1 way to 2 ways there. If you do split, please add turn restrictions as well if you are not allowed to turn back.

Automatyczne tłumaczenie na polski powyżej: w ogólnym tylko jeden sposób, w obu kierunkach, jeśli nie ma fizycznej separacji. Białe linie, jak w przykładzie I to nie ma powodu, dla 2 (OSM) sposobów.

Nie musisz przełączać się pomiędzy 2 sposoby na 1 i powrót do krótkich odcinków? Nie zrobiłbym tego. Podobnie jest w przypadku małych wysp poprzez ruch, który może być odwzorowanych z "traffic_calming = Islandii" Więc nie trzeba się przełączać z jednego sposób się tam dwa sposoby. Jeśli nie podzielić, proszę dodać zakaz skrętu oraz, jeśli nie mogą zawrócić.

Improving the OSM map - why don't we? [10] 3 months ago

Because we have a free tagging system, we just need more powerful query languages that e.g. ignore upper/lowercase and search for parts of key instead of exact matches. The latter might not be wanted for every query though.

In the software I develop for a living, we also have to ignore the lowercase/uppercase differences for almost all user input. I know low level calls in programming languages like to threat them differently, but in many real life scenarios people just want to ignore it. I think OSM is not different for this.

Furthermore, any query language on OSM should be able to deal with suffixes like that indicate languages. e.g. I see a couple of fix:jp, fix:de etc.

Busy learning openstreetmap 4 months ago

Hallo Stefaan,

welcome to OpenStreetMap. In case you are stuck with something, there are a number of ways to get help

happy mapping

Mapping turn lanes in OpensStreetMap 4 months ago

Actually, Aury88 your example is almost trivial, depends on where the 2 lanes for the way towards 1'o clock starts. Suppose for a moment that that road actually starts as a single lane. Then the number of incoming lanes equals the number of outgoing lanes and is lanes=6 enough for a router to divide the lanes properly over the outgoing roads. That's a technique explained by a Dutch mapper name It's so Funny, which can reduce the number of required turn:lanes that you have to map.

Mapping turn lanes in OpensStreetMap 4 months ago

@Aury88 for this scenario a relation might be easier, but not for the +95% (very rough estimate as most cases are pretty trival) of the other crossings & highway exits and entrances. So why should you complicate those cases ?

On the other hand I think that even your example can be done with turn:lanes and change:lanes, it depends a bit on how the way are connected in OSM.

Assuming that the top three ways join in 1 point, and the button three as well and there is a way between those points, I think it is feasible.

Mapping turn lanes in OpensStreetMap 4 months ago

@Aury88: please add turn:lanes forward and backward to your numbers, it almost doubles. I spend over a year to add turn:lanes to half of Belgium. I hope almost all primary, link and trunk roads are done. Germany might be covered for 90% I don't know. In order to know what 200.000 means, you need to know how many they are in reality.

Joining road by newbies A good editor will warn that both parts have different tags. JOSM already does this and I assume the other editors do this too (or to a certain degree). None of them supports length-tags. Adding length is just a stupid idea. Length has to be calculated from the length of the ways. How do you measure length in a curved road ? It is much easier to split a road where the turn:lanes changes than to try to measure this in the field or on a aerial images.

The scheme might look flexible, but what can you map that you cannot map with turn:lanes ? Did you ever do any turn lane mapping ? Did encounter something you cannot map ? I'll agree that this plugin might make it more appealing, but that doesn't mean that the underlying schema is better, more flexible, etc. Please do not be attracted by some shiny toy.

As for Osmand, I've read somewhere that the lead developer does not like relations, e.g. there is no support for the destination-relation, while there is limited support for the destination tag. So I would not bet on them supporting this scheme.