Today is the anniversary of my first changeset, according to http://www.hdyc.neis-one.org/, so I thought I’d write my first diary article. I’ve spent most of my time mapping in the Peak District National Park in the UK and I thought it would be good to produce an image of this as a record of progress to date. The image below was produced with Maperative and I wanted to have it as a record of the progress made in mapping field boundaries, so these have been highlighted. Paths and tracks are also marked. Unfortunately I didn’t know how to produce such a record when I first started so it is difficult to know how the map has actually changed but my general impression was that there were very few field boundaries mapped a year ago in this area. The image only covers the SE part of the Peak Park as this is where I have been concentrating my mapping activities to date.
Sometimes it has felt like a very daunting task and looking at this there are still a large number of white areas, where there are no field boundaries mapped to date. It will be interesting to see how it looks in a year’s time. It is a bit of thankless task mapping so I would like to thank those that had already added many maps features in this area and continue to do so. If you hadn’t I wouldn’t have put an OSM map on my Garmin GPS and then found it wasn’t as detailed as I'd have liked. So your work has inspired the above. Hopefully it will inspire others to add more field boundaries this summer so we can produce a really good walking map of the Peak District National Park.