dieterdreist has commented on the following diary entries

Why Search and Rescue Organizations Must Map Out Cellular Phone Towers in OpenStreetMap 22 days ago

These stories sound like those sensational tv "documentaries" the US is selling worldwide. Typical fud. If you really need phone coverage in the middle of nowhere you should have a look at satellite phones. With any modern smartphone you hardly can get a day of operation (batterywise), a good paper map(s) should be one of the things you bring on your expedition into the remote areas, a good tent and enough water supplies are also helpful.

A look into a sample of edits from MAPS.ME contributors about 1 month ago

I agree with the analysis of Tomas Straupis, from my experience the edits with really nothing to criticize are more in the 5-10% range, while the rest has more or less severe issues, including changing name tags to localized names, creating duplicate features (for both, node and area features creating duplicate nodes is quite common), creating features without classification (just a name and maybe a tag that says nothing, like tourism=attraction), adding housenumbers to areas that are much bigger than to where the number actually applies, bad positioning of objects (in areas where buildings are mapped and displayed in maps.me you shouldn't put the features (like hotels and restaurants) right between 2 buildings or in the middle of the road), or bad classification (e.g. B&B added as hotel or hostel), and bad formatting (of phone numbers, website urls, addresses, etc.). Very few of them are actual vandalism, most of them seem to stem from little knowledge how stuff works in OSM and little time dedicated to perform the edit.

Maps.me is a new evil (instead of Potlatch)? 2 months ago

Nice writeup, BushmanK. I agree with your points. The main difference between Maps.me editor and the ones we've seen in the past is the userbase. The amount of edits is unprecedented, and it takes more ressources of the established contributors to fix all the problems that get introduced.

I believe maps.me should fix very quickly: - the internationalisation problem (names overwritten or amended with foreign/translated names) - remove whitespace at start and end of values - integrate current data to avoid conflicts - better normalize tags in general (wikipedia, website, phone)

Also the measures suggested by Blackbird27 (more community integration, tutorial/text about osm, links to osm wiki) should be enabled.

From an Italian perspective, it is also problematic that users are encouraged to add housenumbers to buildings, because they only apply to entrances and buildings have many housenumbers.

A very frequent problem I've seen lots of times are POIs in the middle of the road, even if the buildings have already been present in OSM.

Arme OSMF 2 months ago

Ich verstehe ehrlich gesagt nicht ganz, was die Einzelförderung der KnightFoundation an Mapbox in der Aufstellung zu suchen hat. AFAIK hat Mapbox Millionen an Venturekapital erhalten, ist eine gewinnorientierte Firma, und mit der OSMF daher in überhaupt keiner Hinsicht zu vergleichen.

Interessanter wäre es evtl., Wikimedia, OKFN und andere freie Wissensprojekte mit der OSMF zu vergleichen. Bei HOT müsste man mal sehen, wofür das Geld ausgegeben wird, ob das nur Personalkosten in der Verwaltung sind, oder auch Auslandseinsätze in Krisengebieten finanziert werden etc. Nur die nackten Zahlen sagen nicht viel.

Group of buildings imported in Boscoreale, Italy 2 months ago

thank you for your notice, your diary post has been cited on the Italian mailing list and currently we are verifying the issue.

JOSM reaches version 10000 in its 10th year 6 months ago

A huge THANK YOU to all the people involved in the development! JOSM is by far the best editor for OSM, the richness of its feature set is uncontested and the workflow perfectly adapted to the actual needs of the mappers.

Mapping small / lesser known businesses in Slums of Mumbai 6 months ago

I think it's perfectly fine to add them to OSM. You can also add a phone-numer with the tag "phone", an Email with the tag "email" and a website with the tag "website", but I'd consider these as attributes to a main tag. This main tag should tell what it is about, e.g. with the tags "shop" and/or "craft" (wouldn't use shop for exclusive B2B I think). If these tags are not sufficient to describe what this is about, add subtags, try to formally describe what they are and what they offer. The tag "description" can be used as a last resort (free text, no formalization), but it isn't very suitable for describing stuff the osm way because it is working bad for semantic searches. I suggest you better extend the tagging system if the current tags are not sufficiently detailed rather than stuffing evering into the description.

building=terrace... 7 months ago

Hier ein Reallife Beispiel für eine signifikante Terrasse: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrazza_Mascagni

building=terrace... 7 months ago

ich finde den tag für Reihenhäuser auch extrem schlecht, weil es eine Verkürzung ist, Reihenhäuser als "terrace" zu bezeichnen, während es eigentlich "terraced_house" heissen müsste. Echte Terrassen, wie sollen die dann getaggt werden? Z.B. hier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrace_%28building%29

New Users 7 months ago

Inspired by your post I have counted the welcome messages that I have sent out in the past 2 years (exactly 100 if I do 2 years+1week), and how many replied (expected to be in the same range as you, but now discovered a significantly higher reply rate, for this term it was 27 replies). I often did not write to everybody just because she was new though, but rather picked those people that seemed more interested than the average newbie (i.e. more than one or two edits), and in particular I did often not write to apparent business owners (who had a profile name that sounded like a business and who only added this one business). In the more recent mails I also did not invite them to face to face meetings (because we don't do them right now). My text is like this: a welcoming paragraph, followed by a paragraph of stuff I have noticed looking at her first edits, followed by a paragraph where to find more information and help (e.g. regional and national mailing list, wiki, learnosm.org). I consider crucial the part where I comment their edits, because it shows them that it isn't just a standard copy and paste mail, and it makes them more involved.

Improving the OSM map - why don't we? [12] 8 months ago

actually I agree with Simon, a source tag on the object might at most make sense at version 1 but as soon as you modify something pre-existing you come into trouble: you have to weigh the importance of your modification and its source against the source of the previous edits. What do you do, add your source to the existing one? Replace the old one with the new one? Conceptually the source belongs to the edit, not to the object.

About Huts 8 months ago

nice post. I agree with Malenki, please don't advocate for nodes and parametric tags, use (reasonably noded) osm ways.

Picturing Proposed Development at Josephite Seminary in DC 8 months ago

My best compliments for your first steps in urban planning. Nevertheless, as an architect, I hope my colleagues who are going to design the project in your neighbourhood will come up with a more sophisticated project than what you are showing above ;-) (I'm allowing myself this comment as you state yourself that you suppose there's a lack of architectural finesse in this first sketch).

OpenStreetMap Foundation Chairperson's Report for the Annual General Meeting 9 months ago

Is there a particular reason you didn't thank 2 directors in the board (Frederik and Paul)?

A Mapper in the Spotlight: Dave Swarthout (USA/Thailand) 9 months ago

I join the choir, interesting read, nicely written. Keep up the good work ;-)

Efficiently adding direction=* to highway=give_way/stop 10 months ago

I believe you should use a relation for these highway=give_way/stop, similar to how it is done with turn restrictions (from - via - (maybe) to). A direction=forward/backward on a node has no meaning, as it is referring to a way and not to a node. A node has one dimension and no direction.

A Review of the Manifests of all OSM US Board Election Candidates 10 months ago

I agree that mapping experience and coding contributions are not the only factors to consider when voting for the US board, but if someone has neither s/he will likely not really know what osm is about, hence will not be the person I would want to be represented by. Why should someone who doesn't contribute himself to a user generated content project get into a prominent position in that project, and how would that help to convince others to contribute?

Power editing with OverpassTurbo and Level0 about 1 year ago

Your edit was clearly a mechanical edit and should have followed the mechanical edits guidelines, especially should have been discussed beforehand to see whether there might be some problems (e.g. maybe some of these places really have this name?). The problem I see with maproulette etc. for cases like these is that you do need local knowledge to judge on a name, the missing name problem is not very suitable for remote correction without knowing the object and context.

Improving the OSM map - Why don't we? [2] over 1 year ago

@Warin61 I believe it has been discussed: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap/70933

I agree with mlcd, a bicycle_repair_station (as opposed to a shop) is a basic facility, open air and 24/7, which does not necessarily need a chain tool in order to be very useful (for all kinds of other problems that can happen with your bike while on the road). Tagging there is none can also be useful.

OSM Tags - oder auch nicht? over 1 year ago

ich bin auch der Meinung, dass man alles, was über offensichtliche Tippfehler (z.B. Buchstabenverdreher, Leerzeichen, Groß- und Kleinschreibung, fehlende einzelne Buchstaben) hinausgeht, dort wo man die Situation nicht durch eigene Anschauung (vor Ort, nicht nur Luftbild) kennt, besser nicht "korrigiert", schon gar nicht durch Löschen von "überflüssigen" tags. Im Zweifel sollte man den Urheber der "komischen" tags anschreiben und nachfragen, ob und was er sich dabei gedacht hat.