Mapper since: May 05, 2012 | Contributor terms: Accepted almost 4 years ago
After downloading and splitting the Chicago building footprints shapefile, I converted the shapefiles into OSM format and am now importing this data set manually, a few square kilometers at a time:
- Download building footprint data from the open government data portal.
- Split shapefile into smaller pieces roughly half a mile square using a custom tool written to use ogr2ogr.
- Use ogr2osm to convert the shapefiles chunks to OSM. The translation is posted here.
- Open the resulting OSM files one at a time in JOSM
- Download the existing OSM data as a new layer and look for existing buildings. For each existing building:
- If there is any user-generated information beyond "building=*", copy the tags from the new data to the existing data (usually this just adds address info)
- otherwise delete the existing building to make way for the new data (since the new data is almost always better)
- Upload changes to existing data.
- Upload new data. Apply source=* tag to changeset.