brianboru has commented on the following diary entries

Mike Duffy has sadly passed away, 3 months ago

This is very sad news indeed, Mike will be very missed. His contribution to OSM in the Black Country was massive and will stand the test of time. I remember a foul April day in West Bromwich when he gamely met me in the Billiard Hall for a pint and some subsequent very wet and cold mapping. Mike doggedly learnt new digital skills and plodded slowly around the streets of the West Midlands at various mapping parties. He was also agreat asset in helping to organise the global SotM conference in Aston in September 2013 and being a volunteer helper for the three days of the conference. Many condolences to his family for their loss from his "mapping family".

Drawing houses over 4 years ago

I've drawn buildings by surveying them counting paces ( I know that 63 of my paces = 100m) parallel to the walls. If you want to get precise alignment you can take bearings with a hiking compass. If you don't have a compass then getting a GPS trace as an "extension" of a building edge by walking in a direction that a wall would take if it hadn't "gone around a corner". This does assume that you can see or walk all round a building - not alway appropriate for residential areas where you can't get into people's back gardens ( but you can always ask them)

How I manage to do it almost 5 years ago

Don't worry - you're not alone! I have exactly the same problem no matter how careful I am, but my ommissions are usually at the surveying stage. Going back to areas you'll be surprised how much you missed on the first survey. And you can always collect address data on revisits :-)

Motorways about 5 years ago

I was re-aligning the motorway with the tons of public GPS tracks, which included my own, which showed a consistent "average" track about 20-30m away from the rendered way. So I hope I've improved things rather than made them worse!

Two Tools for Data Quality over 5 years ago

Great tool! Thank you very much. I've just discovered restriction relations and your tool has helped greatly. It's also nice to see the road signs rendered. Would be nice to have UK symbols for the UK ;-)

ChurchHill Outlined Now over 5 years ago

Hi there

Once we've finished Birmingham we're deciding what we should do next. Bus routes/ Black Country/redditch/Bromsgrove? it gets problematic for most of us to travel outside the Motorway ring as it gets expensive in time and fuel. It would be great to see you at one of our Midlands monthly meetups Keep up the mapping - I find bike is the best method but not on icy roads!

brian