bdiscoe has commented on the following diary entries

Did somebody delete Hyderabad, India? about 2 months ago

Thanks for the great work everyone, I see Hyderabad is back on the map. I also refreshed the main site's cache so it appears on zoom levels 7-12. It's even showing up in Nominatim - that was fast!

I am wondering about setting up some kind of process to get notified when someone deletes or commits a change anywhere to a place=town or place=city. We could catch this sort of thing more quickly and not have to wait for someone to stumble across it.

Top OSM Rank: Who are these crazy, amazing people? 2 months ago

Thanks @EdLoach, I've noted that you are not a bot :) That's great details on your wiki user page!

Top OSM Rank: Who are these crazy, amazing people? 3 months ago

@PurpleMustang I would say that CanvecImports has made more than "a dent" with noderank #3 :) and your main account is also impressive.

@joost schouppe Thanks for the props to lodde1949, I've added that note.

@DaCor I've added you now :) I would have found you sooner if you showed up as recently active on http://www.openstreetmap.org/stats/data_stats.html (not sure why not).

Top OSM Rank: Who are these crazy, amazing people? 3 months ago

@Stalfur, there should be an award for "most disparate places", I cannot imagine two countries less alike than Iceland and Botswana! There is user "ulil" who has done a lot of work in exactly two countries: Paraguay and Georgia, and "mindedie" Lithuania and Hokkaido.

Top OSM Rank: Who are these crazy, amazing people? 3 months ago

@ViriatoLusitano, that's one of the first things I found, Katpatuka is truly a superhuman :) I think he almost-singlehanded put the countries of Turkey and China on the map :)

@naoliv, BlendPoints was just an experiment to combine node rank and way rank (weighted equally) into a single value, on a scale of 1-1000. I think it actually tells less than looking at the node and way ranks separately.

@Skippern, you can be proud of the extensive work you've done along the coast above Rio de Janeiro! You can sort by the "Where, What" column to see all the other main contributors to Brazil.

(Actually) fixing the Peoria GIS import 3 months ago

@Nakaner, it's not that bad. Really all that was wrong was the building tags, and excessive detail on the woods. The building geometry is actually very high quality and perfectly aligned to Bing, and since most of the buildings that existed in 1997 still exist today, it's perhaps 99% accurate.

@JBacc1, I agree. Perhaps import procedures have gotten better since 2010? In particular, people are usually better about decimating data, I don't see extremely excessive nodes very often... except sometimes... I should write another entry about that big subject.

New mapping addict 7 months ago

Hi Jimmy, welcome to OSM. I took a look at Launceston; it's a pretty large area. I started to work in the southern part, Prospect Vale and the area S of Meander Valley Road. Is there any particular part of the Launceston area that could use some attention from those of us who are advanced armchair mappers?

Come work on #MissingMaps with me! 8 months ago

Hi SDavies, you're probably right. E.g. I contributed to http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/797 and rapidly found myself the only person doing that one, too.

BTW, I took a stab at Project 727 just now and filled in the last few tiles to get to 100%. Yay!

Come work on #MissingMaps with me! 8 months ago

Hi Warin, yes it seems that in many developing countries, even with a lot of tree cover, where the people live is very bare (possibly because of grazing animals, or firewood collection, or both). So, the roads (and paths, buildings etc.) are all very visible. You can see on that link (#793) that the target is a large town / small city, so it is not just roads.

Map Somalia 11 months ago

You will find that almost all of Somalia's current OSM data (especially northern part of the country) was uploaded in 2008 with the change comment:

"Mart Roumen; FAO-SWALIM; Madmappers-SOM-2008-01"

The good news is that because of that 2008 upload, Somalia has at least some data, it is not blank. The bad news is that the accuracy is very low. There are many problems, especially with classification, for example, many almost-nonexistent trails (temporary camel tracks?) are marked as highway=primary.

I spent a lot of time to clean up the "Mart Roumen" data in many Somali cities and villages (Borama, Hargeisa, Burao, Laasacanood, Berbera, Galkacyo, others). But of course, it is a very big country and I cannot possibly do it myself. Good luck!

JOSM scripting plugin: be a power user! over 1 year ago

For those interested, a later version of the script which handles "blvd" etc. and is better written is available at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Csp1lvUfO8RVpZbU9zTXR5Y3M/edit?usp=sharing

The first 30-day challenge: retrospective over 1 year ago

@rickmastfan67 I'm not entered in the new contest. I was just testing out the freshly released, newly improved maproulette for curiosity and to support Martijn's great efforts. There was an initial glitch with Chrome not popping up a confirm on fix, which got fixed. I do wonder, though, how this new contest will work, since the maproulette issue aren't many, it seems they'll run out very quickly. Maybe Martijn has many more kinds of detectable issue coming soon.

The first 30-day challenge: retrospective over 1 year ago

@rickmastfan67 I am very impressed by your work on interchanges, which sounds much more laborious than general road cleanup, which would explain why it takes more time. It's valuable and appreciated! I wish i had an "auto roads" that worked, but that was just a programming experiment some months back. As for the term about "automatically [..] edit repeatedly", it doesn't seem useful to interpret that in a way that would prevent, for example, the use of JOSM's wonderful, powerful auto-validation commands. I certainly review every individual change before commit (as should everyone, contest or not) so that the changes are not "automatic", as a bot would do them. In any case, I had initially thought that fixing abbreviated street names would be a big help, but in the end it turned out to be a very small part of the changes I made. The great majority were: 1. Cleaning the noise out of really bad Tiger roads in South Carolina (JOSM Ctrl+F Find "way highway tiger:reviewed=no", then Shift+Y Simplify, then a quick manual touch-up pass over the affected roads.)
2. In endless suburban sprawl where the geometry isn't so bad, using Shift+T to add the missing turning_circles, scooting a few nodes to align with Bing, confirm the name and then T to clear Tiger.

The first 30-day challenge: retrospective over 1 year ago

@YourVillageMaps I wish I could record and share a video of me doing Tiger cleanup in JOSM with my shortcuts. The pixels fly! :) I also wish i could teach others how to do it. Telenav should hire me to train a building full of interns to do it, then they USA would be clean in no time :) (It also helps to have fast internet, a large monitor and a good mouse.) I am very proud of the work i got done in this contest, for example. the entire city of Lumberton, NC (http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/34.6269/-78.9999) (And Dillon, SC, and several other towns in that region.) I also did tons of work like adding buildings, fixing streams and wetlands etc. even though they didn't count for the contest, just because i love editing. I also deleted lots of entirely non-existent Tiger roads, which also didn't count. I also fixed/added hundreds of bridges (over those corrected streams) which presumably counted as "adding a road", since bridges do involve inserting a way.

Making JOSM faster with javascript keyboard shortcuts over 1 year ago

Hi Theodin, Yes, some of the Tiger tags are useful up the point where the road is reviewed. At review/cleanup time, you often have to make sense of a mess of bad geometry, mis-naming, etc. and some of the "tiger:" tags can provide clues on how to make the road correct. Once it's correct, though, there really isn't anything in those tags that's relevant. And, even if someone wanted to scan obscure things like "tiger:tlid", for example a program doing some kind of mass-analysis on the history of the tiger import process, it's still available in the way's history. Nothing is lost in OSM :)

JOSM scripting plugin: be a power user! over 1 year ago

Woodpeck, this is no more of a mechanical edit than using JOSM's existing (powerful!) validation cleaning tools. For example, if you have isolated nodes, or duplicated nodes, JOSM can fix them for you in a single mouseclick. This script only provides a cleaning tool that JOSM hasn't implemented yet.

Of course, mechanical edits where visual confirmation would be needed, are bad. But, it does not take visual confirmation to rename "Main St" to "Main Street".

Project: Puerto Rico TIGER Fixup over 1 year ago

How do we contribute to the project, other than by simply picking a place in PR and start editing? I did some tiger cleaning in the town of Arecibo just now, leaving the tiger:reviewed=no tag on the streets where I couldn't tell if it's correct or not; those should be visited by someone on the ground or local knowledge.

You also mention "USACE 2009-10 imagery", how do we use that imagery layer?

Lost city in Darfur over 1 year ago

Equiserre, great work! I am glad to see you found names for places like Um Danga which I had mapped but left unnamed.

Alexz, I have now made a wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gereida

Lost city in Darfur over 1 year ago

Thanks everyone! Amazing research and maps you've all found. I've added an OSM place=town node to indicate that this is "Gereida", with "Gerida" as alt_name. http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2585787717

Lost city in Darfur over 1 year ago

Thanks alexz! I'm not sure if the big town I found is "Gereida", but the town farther south is definitely Buram, so I added Buram there and named it. As you say, Darfur has clearly changed a ton since those 1963 maps (I picked a well-known city like Al Fashir, and it's almost unrecognizable now from how it is on those maps.)