Zverik has commented on the following diary entries

Tagged and Untagged Nodes 3 months ago

Thanks Imre, I didn't know Taginfo had that statistics. I did this because of the number of references though.

Simon, thanks for reminding of the redaction, I forgot how many orphaned nodes it left. Of course my last remark about removing these is sarcasm: I certainly do not want for anybody to do mass-deletions.

ff5722, nice scripts, thanks for sharing!

Some comments about the OpenStreetMap Awards 4 months ago

Thanks for your opinion, I too think there were many flaws in the process. Regarding the language, how do you think a non-English blog could win in the "writing" category? Not sure about other categories, since they look language-independent.

Ивановская область. Начало 4 months ago

Ещё есть снимки MapBox, тоже разрешены к использованию. Впрочем, природные объекты можно рисовать и по снимкам низкого разрешения из того же Bing. Либо подключить IRS, которая есть на всю западную половину страны — но её придётся долго смещать.

100€ for a subscription to diary comments 4 months ago

Mikel, that looks cool! I mentioned a checkbox, though with an automatic subscription and a visible "unsubscribe" button it can be omitted I guess.

Bryan, BountySource doesn't look too good: 10% on cash outs, and they send money only by paypal (which has issues when sending money to e.g. Russia) or physical checks.

How many POIs does OpenStreetMap have? 4 months ago

By counting features in maps.me maps, I found around 11.2 million POIs with names, quite close to your estimate.

100€ for a subscription to diary comments 4 months ago

Searching works pretty well with Google: e.g. on diversity.

I agree we could add many features. For example, post ratings, so you could browse only posts other people liked. The navigation using language and user filters works pretty okay, rss — not so much because of spam. I choose comment subscription because it's one thing that bugs me every day.

Ramblings about State of the Map 4 months ago

You too :)

Ramblings about State of the Map 4 months ago

Thanks for the write-up! There was beer in the brewery, you just had to ask a man behind the counter to pour it. Being famous in OSM is a myth, you have to talk to everybody :)

Free Tiles and a Story of Noncommercial Death Spiral 5 months ago

We don't need users attached to OSM services: the more profit they bring 3-party service providers, the better. The data itself is free, and is guaranteed to be free forever. Services for processing the data are paid-for, and that's a job for 3-party services. We offer data and we offer a choice. OSM owes you the data, but doesn't owe anything on top of that. OSM is not a business, it can't lose any competition because of that.

Please do not mix data and tiles/services.

Free Tiles and a Story of Noncommercial Death Spiral 5 months ago

Doesn't matter. Had profit = commercial. Registered as a company = commercial.

Free Tiles and a Story of Noncommercial Death Spiral 5 months ago

$4..5 per month is not "noncommercial", it's just cheap. There were two providers, one failed to build a sustainable business model. That's all.

There are many services providing data extracts, tiles, iframes, routing, geocoding. Just for tiles, there are 20+ competing commercial providers. OSMF doesn't want to become 21st and enter the competition, because that will lower resources to do our job: providing the data.

Nothing personal, just GPS tracks 6 months ago

Please mention that the layer pictured cannot be used for tracing into OSM, since it is protected by the copyright. We all understand it, but more recent contributors might get a wrong idea.

AFK 6 months ago

I'd recommend installing maps.me and adding POIs to the map the entire time :) That's how I spent my last trip.

And thanks for your work!

Experimental publishing of Sentinel 2 satellite data 6 months ago

So basically anyone in the OSM community who wants to have the latest imagery from Sentinel 2 has to go through you? And if they are too shy to ask, they will be met with "you failed my social experiment" blame?

Experimental publishing of Sentinel 2 satellite data 6 months ago

How much of this Landsat 8 tutorial can be used for processing Sentinel 2 images?

A look into a sample of edits from MAPS.ME contributors 6 months ago

Tomas, there was 460 changesets made with maps.me in Lithuania. So you claim that nearly half of edits in your country are bad. The change stream looks okay, besides maybe some edits by ЮрийИ. If your problem with that particular user, or with all edits made with maps.me?

GOwin, every user editing with maps.me is registered using their validated e-mail address. So they are definitely getting all messages. But as it is often the case with newbies, they may be a bit scared to answer, especially if they are met with a rude welcome.

The Wiki Sign-up is Broken! 6 months ago

There is for me. Could your ad-blocker block the captcha?

Imgur

Надо сделать для каждого здания возможность "Показать вход" 6 months ago

В OpenStreetMap нередко есть входы в здание. Просто на стиле osm.org они не отображаются — но видны, например, в maps.me или на стиле MapSurfer, используемом на сайте openstreetmap.ru.

И двачую, 2GIS, как и другие источники, типа яндекса и гугля, нельзя использовать для уточнения OSM.

OSM - beschissene Datenqualität 7 months ago

So true.

(you should translate this into English :)

Let's pretend like Maps.me contribution is an import. 7 months ago

You want to revert the work of 27 thousand users each registered with their own name and e-mail just because most of them haven't read the Map Features wiki page? Yay, way to go!

And yes, I indeed read this and the previous entries as bullying. Mostly because of the hatred and lack of concrete arguments.