Zverik has commented on the following diary entries

Subway Routing in Maps.Me 3 months ago

AgusQui, I see the issue with Buenos Aires has been resolved, thank you for correcting the subway system there.

For futher errors and updates to numbers, there is a link to a spreadsheet at the bottom of the validation page. That table has reference numbers for every rapid transit system in the world. Please add a comment there, and I will update numbers promptly.

OSMCha News - January/2018 3 months ago

Awesome, thanks Wille!

Do tag changes affect any of validations? Like, adding many footways and parks may signal this is a Pokemon Go edit.

PT v3 some thoughts 4 months ago

That is actually quite sensible, thanks SelfishSeahorse. Time to abandon that clusterwreck of public_transport=platform/stop_position and return to the roots.

PT v3 some thoughts 4 months ago

No, I don't propose to add stop_positions back. In my metro processing script, I calculate these by projecting platforms on lines, and anybody who needs these could do the same. I just propose to change the name from "platform" to something more universal. Otherwise people would complain that railway=tram_stop is not a platform and requires different treatment.

Are you making a schema for renderes, or for practical usage? You can render routes without highway/railway lines, by interpolating through stops (that's what we do in maps.me), but you cannot get stops using just lines. Which means, you can both render and route when you have just stops, but you can at most look at the line, and not get anything useful from it (e.g. know if it stops near you), when you have just lines.

Lima Metro update 4 months ago

Hi Diego, thanks for improving the subway! The validator has been updated this morning, and it shows a few errors. Mostly they result from renaming railway=station to railway=stop. Metro stations are usually mapped with staiton or halt. For stop positions, you need to add public_transport=stop_position with subway=yes, and join the node with a station object using a stop_area relation. Please see this page for a complete schema. Disregard the "Rejected" plate, it does not make anything untrue.

PT v3 some thoughts 4 months ago

Thanks for answering, Jo. I've looked through your proposal draft, and some things I do like very much. For example, getting rid of stop positions: that concept, to me, was redundant from the beginning, just an attempt to include railway=tram_stop. I'd suggest going a step further: renaming "platform" to "stop", so there is no difference in mapping stop at a platform or in a road. This would remove issues with tram_stops not being platforms.

What I don't like is that again roads/railways are mandatory, and stops are not. Which means, the proposal is again targeted at rendering and experienced mappers, instead of routing and literally everyone who can add objects into relations. When you have just stops, you can use a route relation for navigation, you can interpolate points into lines for displaying, and you know many properties of a route, including "from" and "to" stations. When you have just lines, all you can do with the route is render it. And few people will bother with splitting ways, tracing underground parts of routes and so on.

I propose to fix this mistake in the PTv2 proposal and make stops mandatory, and ways optional.

PT v3 some thoughts 4 months ago

Why PTv3 and not an iterative improvement and explanation of PTv2?

I broke my streak 4 months ago

Yuri, I made a plugin for JOSM, no_more_mapping, in late 2012. It disables OSM editing for you, so not mapping wouldn't pose a challenge. Alas, it was quickly deleted by Frederik, because "Some might find it a humorous way of pointing the finger at our vulnerabilities but I don't find it all that funny". Too bad.

Frustration about iD editor's inability to easily draw rectangular buildings 4 months ago

To be fair, building_tools plugin, which you reference, is still not in JOSM core. Users have to know about it and install it, otherwise they will create the same skewed buildings. The ticket to include it in the core is the most voted, with many links inside that support its inclusion. It is six years old.

The iD project is very well-maintaned and actively developed.

The option to draw a rectangular building is not discoverable in iD. You have to right-click and then somehow know that one of the similar-looking icons corrects the angles.

I'd prefer a prominent button that appears right after you choose a building type: "The buildings seems skewed. [Make angles right]".

OSMF should vote more often...... 4 months ago

There was also a membership drive a few months ago.

2017 Board Election Statistics 4 months ago

I am really interested in how close Joost was to being elected, and why he wasn't.

Metro Mapping Proposal (and what's wrong with proposals) 5 months ago

Thanks everyone for comments. I plan to do the second take, much shorter, just for changes. After that I'll copy this proposal to a new page for instructions.

Metro Mapping Proposal (and what's wrong with proposals) 5 months ago

Dieterdreist, from my point of view my proposed updates come from common practice and logics. And I've mapped dozens of metro networks to test it. Only in few cities some subway stations are mapped with polygons, and these are mostly a mess. Like in Brussels.

Regarding railway=station, note that I'm not against mapping overground stations with polygons. But drawing a correct polygon for an underground station is virtually impossible. Placing just a point would be more correct and easier for everyone. And, well, station=subway wiki page still has the "only nodes" template.

Andy, thanks a lot for that. I was delighted to see you join the maintainers. I follow your edits on github, and I look forward to your improvements to the website. In the post I was talking about my own pull requests, which were ready to be merged in the website, but because of politics generated a 100-comment discussions instead and resulted in nothing. OSM website needs more developers, but also it needs a better management, that would attract and lead people, create a developer community.

Metro Mapping Proposal (and what's wrong with proposals) 5 months ago

Deprecating? They have always been recommended to map stations as nodes, until your silent edit a year ago to one of the pages. Of course it's safer to edit circumventing a proposal stage, since nobody could oppose the change. I just read the wiki and put what I found in the proposal.

China Mappers Censorship of Sensitive Stuff on the Map 6 months ago

Thanks for noticing this and taking action!

Landuse import - is there one done right? 6 months ago

CLC = Corine Land Cover https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?search=CLC&title=Special:Search

Sorry you had to deal with that. In Russia we are lucky for not having such kind of open data.

Preparing for my first JOSM workshop - Tips/Suggestions? 7 months ago

Also, you can skip teaching tags if you teach people just a single shortcut: F3 (Fn+F3 on macbooks).

Preparing for my first JOSM workshop - Tips/Suggestions? 7 months ago

Installing JOSM is the one thing that often goes wrong. Some computers don't have recent Java, some have trouble with displaying fonts, etc etc.

Also, ask everyone to bring a mouse: mapping with a touchpad is painful. Mac users don't usually think of that.