Skippern has commented on the following diary entries

An Open Call for a New iPhone App 14 days ago

I use "Go Map!!" on my iPhone and my iPad, works great though there have been no new version for some time.

osm2pgsql command lines 5 months ago

In the beginning, there was the command line :#

Garmin Nüvi 50 with OpenStreetMap 9 months ago

Thanks for the feedback

I have experienced a few "bugs" in the map, and already corrected some. A few new POIs have been added and of course a few more streets. I'll aim to update my map from time to time - and keep looking for routing mistakes to fix turning restrictions and other details. Next tool would be a mapdust tool for iPhone to make notes where I need to go back in JOSM later to fix

1 million is a big number over 1 year ago

I saw you mentioning a few editors, just to inform, I am part of a small selected team to betatest OSMiOS, a full scale editor for iOS, which according to the developer will be released for public free download in App Store within a month or so.

This is probably thebyear we see editing goes mobile, with hundreds of mobile devices contributing with adding buildings, POIs, roads, addresses and much more.

OSMiOS at current state are able to create, edit and delete nodes, ways and closed ways, though cannot merge or split ways, and can only read relations. It have the most complete tagging preset I have seen in any application (only JOSM with additional loaded presets can overgo it), as well as free hand matrix tagging. If you are an iOS user, look for it in the App Store in near future

Severe flooding over 1 year ago

The solution though is not to tag several riverbanks for the same river, but to find alternative tags adding the information you look for. In you case floodplain and flood_prone are probably the most correct. If there are permanent riverbeds within the floodplain, that normally are dry outside of flood season, than that should be tagged as an intermittant river, etc. This way you separate the river, as a permanent flowing waterway from the flood rivers and the flood plains, where you only would expect water during flood seasons

Mirandopólis /SP (Completa) over 1 year ago

Bom quando os paredes publicos com mais importance no um cidade e penitenciárias

Severe flooding over 1 year ago

For verious reasons, my opinion is that the "normal" riverbank should be tagged, as this not only represent the most commonly observed river layout, but also is what is generally considered when buildingnroads, residential areas, industrials, etc, and also considered as "limits of the waterway" for shipping and boat traffic, planning of waterworks and aquaculture and more. O river bank that often dries in dry seasons can be tagged with seasonal, intermitten or similar, while areas that often floods can be tagged floodplain and flood_prone

Making several different riverbanks depending on season is very confusing, very demanding on data consumers, and IMO plain wrong

Is it funny or is it for real over 1 year ago

Without having a look it could be rows of trees planted for climatic reasons (give shade, protect against the wind, etc) I have seen examples of this before

Editor trial run over 1 year ago

Looking forward to be able to test this editor on my iPad, currently using PushPin, but that is spamming me with changesets

Duvidas over 1 year ago

se o mesmo trecho tem duas nomes, um deles e o nome official (name) e o outro nome alternativo (alt_name), tambem poder utelizar nome local (loc_nome), nome velho (old_name) ou separa os nomes com ; entre os dois.

se um rua de dividio em trechos differente, corta como Vitor falhou.

Reversed Engineering of Data Model over 1 year ago

I know that they follow IHO S-57 which I have as PDF from IHO site, along with many other documents from IHO. It is rather annoying that they have decided to use S-57 as background, since that is a DATA TRANSFER MODEL, instead of INT-1 which is a SYMBOL MODEL also are published by IHO.

The wiki pages that describes the OpenSeaMap data model is rather unreadable, and doesn't describe the usage case for case (i.e. it took me a month to figure out how to tag seanark:type=wreck, and according to message from malcolmh that I received today I got it wrong)

To give a list of information I am missing, I could simply give you seamark:*=*

Except for what I have documented, there are close to nothing useful on the wiki.

Public perception and predjudice... over 1 year ago

If somebody can help me with hosting, I have plans and inside knowledge to make a map based on INT-1 symbols. For most OSM'ers that will be a maximum stripped down map. INT-1 is a IHO agreed rendering of maritime maps, stripping land symbols and colours to a minimum in order to avoid turning the mariners attention to details that have no significance for safe navigation at sea. I know the people of OpenSeaMap uses the mapnik layer as background and lay navigation marks on top, but I am sure they will use a generic INT-1 background.

I have both the knowhow of INT-1 and most of their symbols as .svg soall I am missing is a place to host it.

Progress Note: Importing IBGE boundaries for Espírito Santo over 1 year ago

We decided to stick to 10 levels, just adding border_type= for clearification where needed

IBGE (Re)Mapaton over 1 year ago

The old IBGE highway import had two levels of data, one marked as highway=primary and the other marked as highway=track - they all have tags such as IBGE:CD_ADMINIS=*

Status update over 1 year ago

During the next couple of weeks I will look into how the areas in question is tagged, and try to improve anything if for example area=yes is missing. There is quite some chance I will be able to repeate the same route, or other similar pedestrian routings in the same area, as I have regular visits to an office in that area and generally stay in hotels in the same area. Also in rush hours it is quicker, and easier to walk the rough kilometer between a hotel and the office than taking a taxi, observing the one way streets, turning restrictions, access restrictions, pedestrian roads, and traffic jams.

Frisbee golf over 1 year ago

I think somebody created a sport=frisbee_golf tag, but have no clue what it is.

Remapping Kristiansand over 1 year ago

And maybe also hotels and guest houses. Last time I visited Kristiansand I stayed in a hotel looking like it was built from container modules, just like those temporary villages that pop up next to large construction sites.

Remapping Slupsk in Poland over 1 year ago

That name give me visions of old Donald Duck comics, maybe drawn by Carl Barks. Probably located in the middle of a swamp (Norwegian translation)

Redaction question over 1 year ago

I do not know if they have stored the redacted data in some way, if they have, than it might be possible but would require lots of manual labor. If not, remapping is the only solution.

It Happened Again over 1 year ago

Try get in direct contact with this Brunner and talk to him regarding your contributions, and ask for his opinions and motives. He can be oblivious to your efforts thinking this is "his" map. With an unformal talk, maybe over a cup of coffee he might realise your efforts, and maybe the two of you (or more mappers) can agree on a concensus of how to tag some of the things he constantly changes