Sam Wilson has commented on the following diary entries

Better Walking Papers about 2 months ago

Ah cool, thanks @GOwin that makes sense. I'll try with an older version. Thanks!

Better Walking Papers about 2 months ago

I can't find it in the QGIS plugin list, even with 'experimental' ones turned on. What am I missing?

Bonner ACT Australia 2914 8 months ago

Umm... yes, well now I'm a bit embarrassed. :-) See, I just clicked straight through to the map, and it's been years since I looked at OSM in Canberra and it's all so good there and well I guess I just figured this person had done some mapping there and so I thought I'd give them some tiny bit of encouragement because maybe they were a newbie and weren't quite sure what the diary was to be used for...

Now, of course, I see that chrisPir hasn't actually made any edits! :-(

So, please feel free to delete my comment and this whole post. :-)

New data sources available for Western Australian roads 8 months ago

Oh, yes, that all makes good sense. I've now re-joined the mailing list and shall try to stay on top of discussion there. :-)

And I think I was rather thinking that me writing this diary entry was sort of counting for "telling the community", but you're right I should've tried a bit harder. Really though, I'm just starting to investigate this stuff and have only done a couple of dozen road names so far.

Oh, and I was being a bit optimistic when I said that there didn't seem to be too many missing road names! http://qa.poole.ch/?zoom=8&lat=-32.20686&lon=116.96541&layers=TFFFB0

:-)

I think I'm just going to go back to camera-and-GPS now though...

New data sources available for Western Australian roads 8 months ago

Do you mean the Legal Speed Zones (MRWA-519) data? I think they'd probably grant permission for that as well. I didn't ask them for a blanket approval of all datasets because they seemed more inclined to approve specific usages, but you could give it a go. Some of the people at Main Roads are pretty supportive of people using the data, from what I can gather! :-)

And I'm not sure what you mean with your slightly snarky comments about importing. I do realise that using this data is importing, but I'm doing it very slowly and manually and commenting everywhere about what I'm doing. I have read the importing guidelines, and I think I'm following them. Could you be a bit more specific about how I'm not?

And I'll send an email to the talk-au list, that's a good idea. I figure more people probably read the diary feed though.

Bonner ACT Australia 2914 8 months ago

Hurrah! Good work.

(Now I'm all homesick for Canberra.)

New data sources available for Western Australian roads 8 months ago

Thanks @woodpeck! No fear, I wouldn't trust myself to write a script to do this automatically. The closest I'm hoping to get is to write a script to prepare the data a bit more.

Although, in my spot checking around the state, it's really looking like there's not a huge amount to be done, which is pretty cool. :-)

New data sources available for Western Australian roads 8 months ago

Thanks for the links, @CloCkWeRX, there's some good stuff there. Now I have to investigate more about "Mapillary challenges" — is that some way of loading missing things into the Mapillary app for easier ground-truthing? :-)

New data sources available for Western Australian roads 8 months ago

@maxerickson: good point, but I found that JOSM couldn't handle the large size of this Shapefile (~280 Mb). It doesn't have a problem (at least on my computer) with a large .osm file though.

Mapping while travelling over 1 year ago

@Omnific: yeah, I thought so, but somehow I managed to not save anything :-( Now I'm being more careful, and pressing save at various points throughout the walk.

A missing zoo! over 1 year ago

I've never even considered the zoo here in Perth... we've got some work to do to catch up!

Kirribilli foreshore over 1 year ago

Great work! :)

The New Me over 1 year ago

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well" and all that? :-)

Something I wrote about OpenStreetMap (OSM) almost 2 years ago

I think the link is wrong. The correct one is http://blog.v6shell.org/2015/11/03/humanity-geography-gis-opendata/

And I reckon you're right! :)

The true "McDonald's" problem and the apostrophes ... over 2 years ago

Fixed two in Australia. :-)

Addressing over 2 years ago

Thank you both for the ideas. It sounds like paper and clipboard are the way to go. :)

Now I shall wrangle with getting JOSM to print things...

Addressing over 2 years ago

Is there any write-up anywhere of good methods for collecting house address data? I mean specifics such as: "trace buildings first, then cycle up one side of the street taking photos of letter-boxen, then back down the other..." (which is sort of how I've done it, but I get some pretty funny looks from people!).

New Zealand Data Help over 2 years ago

Voted! :)

And for mappers on the other side of the Tasman, here's a request for the Digital Cadastre Database to be open-licenced: https://datagovau.ideascale.com/a/dtd/DCDB-Cadastre/20080-26233

OSM Hackerspaces Map now updating over 2 years ago

Cool map! I've added the Artifactory.

COFFEEDEX & the single-tag revolution over 2 years ago

Now to figure out what "12oz" "drip" and "house coffee" mean. :)

Ha! Yes, exactly! :)