Gedling has long been a big blank on the Nottingham map: it's just off the E edge of the Yahoo Aerial imagery. On Friday I took a couple of buses through the area (on the way to a Chinese meal: relevant POI not yet on map), and grabbed as many street names from the top of the bus (double-decker buses are still good for some things) as I could furtively dictate into my dictaphone. I also managed an hour and a half wandering around one of the more modern developments on the edge of the built-up area. The really good thing was that it enabled me have a much better handle on how much of the old pre-1950s map could be applied to the area, so in addition to the GPS and survey data I've been able to add other streets from those maps.
Unfortunately, I had missed the posts about JOSM with the new API until I'd already done a hefty number of edits. So I've been on tenterhooks all weekend to see if I had to re-do all the work. First attempts failed, but eventually managed to get a one node change uploaded. Further fiddling about using multiple layers, cut-and-paste and hand editing of saved OSM files to set the version=0.5, and I managed to get most of my changes into a new API file. The only bits I've had to redo are the joining of nodes to existing ways, and splitting of existing ways. JOSM needs to give better feedback in the GUI on failed attempts to close a changeset. I haven't tried to do anything with relations: will probably redo these by hand (and not in Potlatch for the moment).
All in all very relieved to get this into the DB, to have personally managed the transition to 0.6, and not to have been the person worrying about why one table wouldn't import (would be nice to have an equivalent of Oracle transportable tablespaces).
Thanks for all the hard work by sysadms.