Rovastar has commented on the following diary entries

Why am I against wholesale import of administrative boundaries from any 3rd party source for the Philippines 21 days ago

Disclaimer: I am not local to this and have not looked at the data just your interpretation. The license issues aside I am unsure of your objections here.

The picture that you had for the "really bad" example (and I presume you picked a particularly bad case to make you point) I do not think is bad at all. It is mostly a little offset that is all. If you realigned them it would be much clearer. An semi mechanical human variable import could easily overcome this. Even if you do not do this and have a compare and contrast of the dataset with OSM data can result in areas that need to be investigated by other means, e.g. on the ground (if that is at all possible with admin boundaries), etc.

It appears you haven't consider these possibilities.

Also I am a little confused as to adding something that is roughly/nearly/high percentage correct instead of the alternative which is, well, nothing at all. This an ongoing issue with most opendata projects I know of - having something that is not 100% correct and over time improve it versus waiting until it is perfect before adding it.

New road style for the Default map style - the full version 23 days ago

I dislike the suggested pedestrian style - it looks like a building. Take the carto css default pic how can you or anyone tell if it is pedestrian or a building for the far right.

It needs to be lightened up a bit IMHO. Personally i think living streets should be more like residential roads. I am not sure why you think the are like pedestrian walkways.

Actually I would like some pattern paving for pedestrian ways a map image a bit like (only time for a quick Google) http://www.kspaving.co.uk/graphics/KSPavingLogo.gif

New road style for the Default map style - highway=path is evil about 2 months ago

lighten the forest and wood area and darken the green motorways

"It is not so easy - this would start problems with forest too close to other green landuses. It also would not solve problem with motorways looking like rivers"

I disagree this was discussed before you joined the carto project. We have too many greens and the current green for trunks is too dull. We still need to sort the greens out....

It's not because you have accurate data that you have to upload all of them in OSM 6 months ago

Are you really saying that I cannot come up with a set of coordinates that lose data? Please at least make any challenges that require me to use some of my intelligence when throwing down the gauntlet.

Still there is no need to use this. Over time we will get more detailed information in OSM. (I know some of you hate this idea but it is true) Moaning about users uploading detailed information really isn't needed or I would argue desired. What harm does it really do? This really isn't that detailed. All simplifying algorithms lose information. I do not see any need to lose this information. The only reason is to put a burden on the editor.

So that would be every 30 cm which is what he had the data anyway apparently. So it would be the same as the import therefore not quite sure of the point of it. Why add more barriers to entry for OSM? Is OSm for old timer dinosaurs only? shrug The real issue here is some don't want detailed mapping.

Ok I have tidied up that golf course. Removed the tags on the nodes and deleted the additional dup ways.

Oh to explain JOSMs Simplified Way well ... IMHO useless for any sort of detailed mapping. You lose a ridiculous amount of detail. Maybe some of you have never used it.....

Although there are some problems with all the nodes being tagged..... I see no problem at all is mapping to this level of detail. In fact, I don't even think it is that excessive. A few hundred nodes for a large non complex shape of grass? Add a few thousand nodes maybe some from the admin team can say this was pushing OSM database over the edge as now it is about 2.75 billion nodes + a few thousand.

Is it really because some are sort of import......

Why again are we potentially putting off people contributing? Are we really telling people what they can and cannot map here and in what detail? What if someone said you should not map tree types or lock gates with as much detail as some do?

I am not sure where anyone is getting the information that the information was already in OSM. Sure some was added the same day from a different user and I imagine that it was part of the same project given the timing.

Funny highway shortcuts with the new routing feature 6 months ago

I still stand by what I said sigh

Funny highway shortcuts with the new routing feature 6 months ago

The should not change the map data to fix a router. That would be mapping for the router.

If it is legal to go down that service road then you should leave it as it is.

Imagery Offset Database 7 months ago

I often find osm gps tracks worse than the imagery offset. YMMV of course.

New Telenav Mapping Project: Dual Carriageways 7 months ago

Sadly the most painful part of this is if these roads are part of relations. If a dozen bus routes are linked to a single stretch it is a complete pain to even try to fix the relations. I know at times I have just given up.

Hello Community 8 months ago

For the rendering on Openstreetmap.com you should look at https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto not the mapnik one above https://github.com/mapnik/mapnik/issues they are not the same thing at all.

6000 EUR for OpenStreetMap 9 months ago

Ummh, it sounds a bit dodgy to me, why not just pay it directly to OSMF? Money going into FOSSGIS pot I imagine is funding www.fossgis.de and the fossgis project.

6000 EUR for OpenStreetMap 9 months ago

Hold on, is the money generated going towards osm? I can only see it going to another organisation fossgis

OSM issues apparently ? 9 months ago

It is probably best to look at the uk guidelines

OSM issues apparently ? 9 months ago

You seem to be confusing OSM "standards" and what the HA, OS or Sabre say they are.

Often these are the same but infact they are different. We are not the HA, OS or SABRE.

The general rule for the UK is that the Green sign is Trunk for A roads and A roads without it is not. As I am sure you are aware that is the case for these roads.

Hence why others have changed it since changed them.

Maybe this can be opened up with the wider UK community on the UK mailing list where it can be discussed further but the system we use has been established for many years.

OSM issues apparently ? 9 months ago

For splitting ways if there is a change in type, speed limits, etc then you can change it. I am not sure what other reasons you want to change them just so something that appears on the map.

Oh please don't change the classification of the street unless you have done some research.

I noticed that you seem to have changed roads around here:

www.openstreetmap.org/way/5648907/history

Trunk roads are A roads by signposted by the green signs. Primaries are A roads without green signs.

The Mapbox OpenStreetMap Data Team Guidelines 12 months ago

Excellent stuff. Many of us do appropriate your efforts in the mapping with your the data team.

One tiny thing could you explictly say they are from mapbox and controling user for ediyes import account. http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/ediyes_nycbuildings Looks like that one got missed.