Rovastar has commented on the following diary entries

The Missing Mappers Problem? 27 days ago

Nice graphs.

However do not think this is bad at all.

You seem to have users with >500 changes = 490 (probably could reduce this for bots,imports, etc you found) and only 49 people have dropped out (with the bots, imports removed). Percentage wise that is really low about 10%. As as others have pointed out some are from Europe and are still continuing but not in the US e.g. as above and randomly checking a couple of them http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mgoe , there is at least another bot in there too (http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/BugBuster). So it could be lower still maybe overall 8% or something. That I think is pretty good.

It will never be zero.

Obviously you would like it to be people move on to different things in the life and not contribute. (I am sure we have all done than on things in the past). Others sadly will get ill (or worse) and cannot continue contributing.

As long as the the numbers of contributors increases more than others drop out it will keep getting better.

how a bad query can get you working for 2 days 27 days ago

Well I am not surprised as you seem to want to download half the database via the API.

The best solution for you is likely to be: Download the planet files for Europe (or whatever regions you need) Convert the whole thing into PSQL via osm2pgsql Do SQL queries on that data locally.

SFSU Campus Mapping 5 months ago

Yeah JOSM all the way. iD is an entry level/newbie tool.

East Grinstead 5 months ago

What problems do you have?

OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike 5 months ago

Surely your entry can be summed up as I/we are not making enough money of other people's data therefore you need to open up the data more. I, for one, will not be crying a freaking river about that.

Just finished to import a city - Before and After pictures 5 months ago

Excellent work. I imagine the neighbouring towns/village can be done next.

Although beware posting publicly on imports as you the face the wrath of the vocal anti-import brigade.

The wrong side of mapping transient events in OSM 5 months ago

The irony of this is the Twitter post that ' reported' this was actually a tweet about how good osm is because this had been mapped.

OpenStreetMap UK: what should we do this year? 7 months ago

I think we should add things the the general population find most useful.

Although I am not a great adder of shops I think these are very useful to most users of the map.

Shopping centres are a great example of this. These are in general really poorly mapped and these are places that millions of people visit.

This can be for many reasons, the lack of meaningful rendering/displaying the info for the multiple levels that the shops reside on on osm.org, and the perceived boring nature of this and ironically (given my stance) one of the few areas where it could be argued that lack of female diversity is more apparent.

In my opinion that shops are more useful that on off chance that someone needs the address & postcode info for 52 Festive Road.

Some see no usefulness in mapping just buildings but I think they are useful guides, it tells you that a building is there!

Poor man's rendering 8 months ago

Slowly things are getting added/changed to the main map https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto Join in and add specific example you want added. but please don't add wrong info like you are.

Mapping parts of the world no-one else wants to map, Part 1: Hanger Lane, London 11 months ago

Maybe so but no-one would come. ;-)

Anyone going to SoTM from Derby? 12 months ago

Hi mate,

I had/have no plans on going but as you are going I'll know someone so I might.

I'll let you know.

Cheers,

John

How many contributors does OSM have? about 1 year ago

I meant to also add that if we contrast that percentage with before start of project until May 2012 (600,000 registered users) we had 255,000 (335,000 - 80,000) users make an edit. Which was a healthy 42.5% making an edit.

How many contributors does OSM have? about 1 year ago

Thanks for these stats I admit I use altogetherlost for the stats for the last edited current ~230,000

Another interesting point is that in the last 6 months we have doubled the registered users. From about 600,000 May 2012 to 1.2 million now.

Of that 80,000 or so new users have made an edit.

So the conversion rate for that is pretty low about 13% or so.

I wonder what we can do to increase this.

of course...Lies, damn lies and statistics....

Recent edits not showing. about 1 year ago

Well I'll try and answer.

It can take a while to update the map on higher zoom levels.

Your golf course you did seems to be visible on zoom level 13 but not 12 and beyond.

I know that these sort of zoom levels it can take weeks and maybe months before they appear. This is frustrating when you add large areas like woods, golf courses, etc.

For the vets I don't think currently they display on the map. I am looking at the helping with the new updated design of the map which hopefully be included on the main map. I'll add vets to the list of things that need to be rendered. Generally the adding of new features rendered to the map has slowed (stopped) over the last few years, Things do more slowly on openstreetmap. Hopefully in the near future this will change or I might "do one" too. ;)

Regarding the other issues. Personally I can see it can be confusing with all the different communication channels, forums, mailing lists, personal messages, the help message board at help.openstreetmap.org, the user diaries, most with different registrations/logins.

I don't mind where you post I will try and answer when I see it - I actually like the user diaries for commenting/asking/answering question.

There is a new editor iD http://ideditor.com/ is coming soon. That is designed to address some of the issues that you may have with Potlatch. But some people do like potlatch others, myself included, like a more detailed editor like JOSM http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ but it is horses for courses.

It is a shame in your area (I read the previous diary posts before) there are not that many active mappers. It is fairly typical that many area have only 1 or two key mappers but sometimes others mappers do come and go. Some post every couple of months, etc.

Hope that helps. If you have more question just ask or send me a message.

What cuisine would you say a "Harvester" [UK] is? over 1 year ago

I think steak_house is the closest to what it is. salad_and_grill just doesn't look right and I am not a fan of inventing new types just for 1 thing.

Let's face those that go there you might eat salad there but you not going out go there for salad...even pizza hut has a salad bar.

A quick look at the harvesters tagged in the uk only 4 have cuisine defined. 2xsteak_house (including yours), 1 x british and 1x farmhouse so no real consensuses there.

Activity 2 over 1 year ago

Welcome to openstreetmap editing.

I did some changes years ago to both Newbury and Oxford when I used to work and live down there.

For Newbury surely the, what I call "new", town centre shopping centre has been finished now. If you are that way maybe you could add that rather than the current construction site.

Google Map Maker over 1 year ago

I have got to sat I don't understand why openmapbrowser is better. I couldn't see anything that would encourage me to edit. I cannot see an edit button or anything.

And a fail to see how Google draws us in I just see a tiny "edit in google map maker"

Am I missing something here?

I agree we should try something to encourage more contributors and at times (most times) there is a massive reluctance to change anything on the front page.

I hope with the new editor coming that might spark some forward thinking.

Advanced rendering of tags over 1 year ago

umm posting css type code here doesn't work well

Advanced rendering of tags over 1 year ago

Thanks pieleric

I'll get a message to him at some point.

Looking at it I think it might be able to scale it better

First off I have never even used CartoCSS and not even installed it all yet but logically you could

Brain dumping my initial thoughts here.

[zoom=16] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]0.00001)"; } [zoom=17] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]*0.00002)"; } [zoom=18] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]0.00004)"; } [zoom=19] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]*0.00008)"; }

or even

[zoom>=16] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale([way_area]0.00001([zoom]-16)^2)"; } (no idea on the syntax of that one for powers)

instead of all the [way_area=12000][way_area<17000] etc in the code. So it could just be a couple of lines.

Probably some technical reason why you cannot but logically that makes sense.

[sport='soccer'] {

[surface='grass']::surface { polygon-fill: @sport-surface-grass; } [d12>130][d1268][d23150][d132 = length / 2>3 = width */ point-file: url('symbols/fr/sports-soccer.svg'); point-ignore-placement: true; [way_area=12000][way_area=17000] { [zoom=16] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(0.175)"; } [zoom=17] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(0.35)"; } [zoom=18] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(0.7)"; } [zoom=19] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(1.4)"; } [zoom=20] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]) scale(2.8)"; } } }

[d23>130][d2368][d12150][d132 = length / 2>3 = width */ point-file: url('symbols/fr/sports-soccer.svg'); point-ignore-placement: true; [way_area=12000][way_area=17000] { [zoom=16] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(0.175)"; } [zoom=17] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(0.35)"; } [zoom=18] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(0.7)"; } [zoom=19] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(1.4)"; } [zoom=20] { point-transform: "rotate([angle]+90) scale(2.8)"; } } } }

Advanced rendering of tags over 1 year ago

Sorry that should say

Is there a CartoCSS code/style for this?