RoadLessTraveled has commented on the following diary entries

Panoramic views aka "Street View" on OSM? 8 months ago

I'm also unsure if OpenStreetView supports viewing panoramic images or just stills.

Panoramic views aka "Street View" on OSM? 8 months ago

Well, my main issue with openstreetview is that I don't want to put a load of time and effort into supporting something that's going to be completely inactive and get no traction, and thus never be used for anything, especially if something else I don't know about is getting traction as we speak.

How do you map house numbers efficiently? 8 months ago

Well, I like the sound of the "you're already finished when you get home" part. What drives me nuts is that around here the street numbers are all in the thousands, so to map from 2100 to 2199 I end up having to type the 21 part... 100 times, unecessarily. Also just having to do a long press, multiplied 100 or more times really slows things down. I LOVE Vespucci, but for this is seems cumbersome.

I'll look into OSMpad, although having to trace all the buildings seems like far more effort than picking a location and adding a number...

How do you map house numbers efficiently? 8 months ago

Thanks mcld,

Yes, I agree that it's a necessary evil, at least, as long as there isn't screen realestate for all the buttons from both versions onscreen at the same time (possibly an option for a tablet / laptop layout). I guess I still consider it a necessary "evil" as I find the current GUI very slow and awkward, which is ironic given that it's whole reason for being is to speed up data entry.

That said, I should give credit where it's due... it is much faster than entering numbers manually in something with more general funcrtions like Vespucci or Osmand (both of which I love).

Needing two almost entirely different interfaces though does seem inelegant thoughm, even if one doesn't actually get in the way of the other. It just seems like more for the user to learn. Ultimately though, after thinking about it a lot, it does seem like the best option available. If anyone has any ideas of how to eliminate the need for the keyboard view, I'd be all ears.

I suspect if we start people off on keyboard view (which seems necessary), that we're going to have to do something to make them aware of the new dial view once that first street number has been found. Otherwise users are most likely to go on just using what's in front of them, never knowing that a much faster option is available at the click of a button.

I suggest, showing a pop up that tells them about the new dial mode and how to switch between keyboard and dial modes as soon as the first number is entered.

How do you map house numbers efficiently? 8 months ago

Thanks Guardcat,

Unfortunately no, although I can provide the SVG. I'm more of a graphic designer than a UX person, but I hang out with a load of FOSS developers in various projects and have been part of many UX discussions over the years.

That's not to say I know what I'm doing, but I understand the basic concepts and put quite a lot of thought (and research) into this. A lot of the ideas came from looking for solutions to the problems being reported on the Google Play store reviews.

Probably the thing that I like the least about this design is that it doesn't do away with the current number entry system, but instead provides the option to toggle between the two. The main issue is that my system would be faster (imo) in the great majority of use cases, but for the really unsusual corner cases, you'd still need the slower, but more flexible system it has now.

Getting that first number for the dials is a bit of a challenge, too.

That said, it completely eliminates almost all of the repetitive entering of the same information over and over, is able to increment houses by the same amount each time easily and helps users track both sides of the road.

How do you map house numbers efficiently? 8 months ago

Thanks for your response Zmonkey,

Yeah, I came across that. In fact just about all the streets around here seem to be done like that already. Now I'm interested in getting individual house numbers in. Still trying to figure this one out!

new useful proposal 8 months ago

Yes, I'm forever wishing I could have my GPS tell me to turn right at the next cumulo nimbus...

Rain or Shine 8 months ago

Yes, there is something very meditative about OSM mapping. It forces you to be very present in your current time and place.

New MapRoulette Challenge: Ways Needing Smoothing 9 months ago

Ay ay ay... I just spent some time going through some of these smoothing challenges... some of them are really bad! And they just seem never ending. What's really interesting is that most of them seem to be pretty much the same errors again and again: a small road curving between two larger roads at a sharp angle... three nodes on a larger node bumping outwards where a smaller road meets etc.

Am I the Only One... 9 months ago

@Malenki - Impressive! I just got back from mapping a small shopping center near here, and have a fire hydrant, a bin and a postbox to enter that I spotted on thw way home... :)

Am I the Only One... 9 months ago

Yes, I quite enjoy checking on the speed limits as well. I use OSMAND which will warn me if I'm over the speed limit recorded in OSM, but sadly won't tell me if I'm much under it.

First time on OSM #SFSUCarto 9 months ago

Ditch IE for... well, almost anything, and your general experience of the web will be better. Personally I <3 Firefox, but Chrome is great, too. Heck even Safari and Opera are better than IE.

Anyway, glad to hear you managed to pick up OSM editing easily enough. I can't tell you how much easier it is since MapBox created the iD editor. Like night and day. I only wish it was available and equally well thought out for mobile.

Footways in Orloff Park, Pleasanton, CA, USA 9 months ago

Yes, I find that mapping for OSM is such a fabulous way to get to know a new neighborhood and a really good excuse to get out and meet more of your local neighbors.

Hope the new place works out well for you!

Quickly Mapping Stores & Street Numbers w Android - Quick Review of the Tools 9 months ago

@AndiG88 - Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for!

@Sa3dany - In JOSM I'm just doing file > open and opening the osm file using the new layer option.

@Michael - I'm finding that the accuracy of the location in KPM is pretty horrific. Often it's hard to even tell which side of the street the node is meant to be on. Occasionally I've gone down the same street twice and created the same house numbers twice, and the nodes are often 30 meters apart. It takes me a long time to go in and manually recreate all the nodes, correcting the locations as best I can.

Is this normal in your experience with KPM? I have no problems with GPS location accuracy when using Osmand or Google Maps or Vespucci.

Ello 9 months ago

Yeah, I'm just lovin' the new website, especially for editing. Woul still be nice if you could click / tap on nodes that were displayed with their own names, eg shops, and see a pop up with website, hours, phone etc, like on Google Maps (and maybe the ability to click "Call" using the phone call web api Mozilla worked on). Overall though, a huge improvement, and I'm super happy, too. :)

Today I am confused by OSM 9 months ago

Yes. Please tell us the memories that first come to mind, that exemplify how you feel about your mother and how they make you feel....

google google google over 1 year ago

Piwik's great, although another great option that always seems to get overlooked is Open Web Analytics. Personally for me, I don't like the thought of any one company tracking me, my friends, my family everywhere they go and keeping permanent records of everything that they said to each other and everyone else. That just seems like a horrific abuse of power just waiting to happen. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But sooner or later almost inevitably.

Oh, and I'm not against scientific advancement. As was said already, all technology can be used for good or evil, but some technologies lend themselves more easily to either good or evil. Near universal tracking of people's location, conversation and affiliations seems to lend itself quite neatly in the latter camp.