Richard has commented on the following diary entries

10 years of OSM data history 10 days ago

Brilliant. Haven't seen that code in years!

10 years of OSM data history 11 days ago

Just the bit about introducing the version number on objects. The version number was already present in the db - see https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/blob/06f3473d1c64d2e0a1ecc6f1a9c4679a52bc4761/db/create_database.sql - it just (IIRC) wasn't visible through the API. So "exposed" would be better than "introduced". Only a minor gripe - I'm just slightly aware it's good to get these things on the record before we all forget them. :)

10 years of OSM data history 13 days ago

I don't think that's quite accurate.

OSM has always been versioned, from the very first pre-Rails site onwards. (All of this was managed in a file called dao.rb, I think, if you can find it in trac.) However, when segments were abolished in the move from 0.4 to 0.5, the history was not migrated into the revised database schema.

I believe someone (Firefishy?) has a database dump from the time of the changeover, so it would theoretically be possible to reconstruct the pre-0.5 history.

diary spam 24 days ago

The case for highway=trunk on Texas frontage roads 25 days ago

Have just spent half an hour down a Google Street View (wash my mouth out...) rabbit-hole. :)

Hooee, that's a difficult one. Having a frontage road as trunk really does seem to break the purpose of the highway tag, but on the other hand the physical characteristics in this case are pretty compelling. So I can see your point now along TX-121, though I could also see the case for highway=primary with a lanes= tag.

But (say) the road alongside I-35 in Waco looks fine as a secondary to me, or could even be a tertiary. Alongside US-34 in Waco is either tertiary or unclassified.

The case for highway=trunk on Texas frontage roads 25 days ago

Eeek. highway=trunk for frontage roads doesn't make any sense to me.

The highway= tag is meant to reflect a road's importance in the through-highway system. It isn't solely a reflection of physical characteristics.

A frontage road is by definition unimportant in the through-highway system: its purpose is to serve local traffic (and, importantly, to provide an alternative route for traffic that might be prohibited or uncomfortable on the main road, such as bikes or slow-moving agricultural vehicles).

That suggests highway=tertiary, or highway=secondary at a pinch. Definitely not trunk.

presets are a sensitive topic about 1 month ago

Martin - personalising the issue like this is really unhelpful and exactly the sort of thing that made me burn out after however many years of maintaining Potlatch. Please please don't do it, we have few enough developers as it is.

Returning to OSM about 2 months ago

Yay! Welcome back.

My ongoing relationship with OSM 3 months ago

Great to see all your work - from the other side of Oxfordshire!

OSM: Why can't contributors check/correct their own work! 3 months ago

most errors are generated using Potlach and ID

"Why can't contributors check/correct their own work!"

It's called "Potlatch". With two 'T's. You should use the validation tool in your browser (the spell-checker). ;)

Balkan matters 3 months ago

Understood. Happens to us all. :)

Balkan matters 3 months ago

Suggest reporting it to the Data Working Group who, I imagine, will ban the user in question, and rightly so.

Using vector background layers in Potlatch 2 3 months ago

Do you have a link to the shapefiles?

Rendering of Muslim cemeteries 5 months ago

Add a mew issue at https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto

AAARGH !!! Those Spammers ! 5 months ago

Yeah, the problem with the most popular (and successful) captcha is that it's used to crowdsource data for Google's proprietary mapping database, which is kinda contrary to the OSM project.

AAARGH !!! Those Spammers ! 5 months ago

In particular see https://github.com/gravitystorm/blogs.osm.org/issues/17

OSM has failed me 5 months ago

Do you know which changesets removed the Spanish names?

Potlatch 2.5 6 months ago

Does using the new menu at the bottom not work? It does for me on (say) the inner way of Worcester Cathedral at http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=19/52.18845/-2.22070 .

Potlatch 2.5 6 months ago

Cool, thank you. (I misspoke about the 16th century though. P2 does support shapefiles and they're probably early-medieval.)

Potlatch 2.5 6 months ago

The list absolutely is used by P2.

There are two things that might be relevant:

• P2 uses the .json file from http://osmlab.github.io/editor-imagery-index/imagery.json . It may be the case that this hasn't been updated to take in new additions, I don't know. You would need to raise an issue with editor-imagery-index if that's the case.
  • P2 does not and will not support WMS (or any other format devised in the 16th century ;) ).