Richard has commented on the following diary entries

Details about iD editor users get publicly, permanently and silently logged with every edit – a privacy breach 4 days ago

I think you're extending own values to other people here.

By definition, people who believe that any piece of identifying information is a "privacy breach" are more likely to use JOSM. That's fine. That's their choice.

For a different userbase this is really helpful information. The language means other users are more likely to be able to assist them via changeset comments, for example.

Please don't assume that everyone shares your beliefs, especially given that you come from a country and culture known to be much more sensitive to these things than the average. For example, my home address is readily viewable by a whois lookup, and a picture of my front window has just been retweeted 40 times. ;)

US County Roads (from residential to track) 17 days ago

@Aury88: I'm a European mapper, I'm just helping out in the US! But as maxerickson says, they're not agricultural access roads - they're just rural roads. You or I have every right to drive or cycle along them, and indeed I might consider them a pleasant cycling alternative to the busy main roads.

US County Roads (from residential to track) 18 days ago

Great to see someone else joining in the Herculean task of rural TIGER fixup.

I tend to take the attitude that guessing surfaces remotely is difficult, and that it's more important to get broad-brush coverage sooner (so that we might one day have a usable map) rather than very detailed coverage of particular areas. So I usually choose one of:

• highway=track - unpaved and ungraded
  • highway=unclassified, surface=unpaved - unpaved but graded
  • highway=unclassified, surface=gravel - if the surface is apparent from the imagery
  • highway=unclassified - paved
  • highway=tertiary - good quality paved with centreline

highway=track implies unpaved so I don't usually add surface/tracktype tags when working from imagery.

How to find and analyse traffic ? 20 days ago

It's certainly not something that's stored in OpenStreetMap. Some countries release traffic data openly but not many that I've found.

Fixing the rural US about 2 months ago

Yes, =residential is still a good value for that sort of road. I think the key there is to take the tiger:reviewed tag off (so it's clear it's not raw TIGER) and to make sure there's a surface tag if the road is unpaved.

It's not because you have accurate data that you have to upload all of them in OSM 2 months ago

Splendid. Ok. Here's your challenge.

Write some polyline simplification code that reduces [1,0],[2,0],[3,0],[4,0],[5,0],[6,0] to [1,0],[6,0], yet is completely lossless.

Any programming language of your choosing. It's very doable.

Second task, since you ask for "challenges" (plural): adapt that simplification algorithm to permit minimal loss of geometry within the bounds of feature width and GPS accuracy. You may choose to implement an adjustable threshold as part of this.

"All simplifying algorithms lose information"

ORLY?

If you have a polyline [1,0],[2,0],[3,0],[4,0],[5,0],[6,0], you can simplify that without any loss of geometry to [1,0],[6,0].

If you have a polyline [1,0],[2,0.0000000001],[3,-0.0000000001],[4,0],[5,0.0000000001],[6,0], you can simplify that (units permitting) with minimal loss of geometry to [1,0],[6,0].

"Minimal" is in the eye of the beholder, but given the width of the features we survey in polyline form in OSM and the positional accuracy of GPS units, it's clearly >0.

Still, as both Vincent and I are only editor coders, what the hell do we know about how these things actually work, eh, Rovastar?

Given JOSM users' proclivity to demand that every single possible error is trapped by iD (cf https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/1461) and P2, I think we should quit ragging on Ragi, and instead JOSM should refuse to upload unnecessarily detailed ways like this. It's the responsible thing to do. ;)

Third Anniversary of Mapping in the Peak District National Park 2 months ago

That's terrific!

Funny highway shortcuts with the new routing feature 2 months ago

[For the avoidance of doubt, my comment was a reply to the original posting, not to Rovastar's comment which was posted at the same time.]

Funny highway shortcuts with the new routing feature 2 months ago

...is exactly why we've added routing to the front page!

Large amounts of OSM data is unsuitable for routing. Putting routing front-and-centre means this will get fixed. Thanks for fixing this one and I hope you find many more such bugs to fix. :)

Fixing the rural US 3 months ago

@Alex - interesting, and good to see Mapbox tackling this.

Have you thought about running an automated comparison with Arnold (as you blogged at http://openstreetmap.us/2014/12/arnold-for-osm/)? I'd expect that any road showing on Arnold is of reasonable quality; if the corresponding geometry in OSM is tagged with highway=residential, tiger:reviewed=no, that suggests a priority for retagging.

One example I found just by zooming into Eric's Arnold rendering: here in WV there's a highway=residential which has moderate traffic flows and should really be a tertiary.

Fixing the rural US 3 months ago

@jumbanho: Yes, I can see the logic in that. Essentially, as long as unpaved roads are tagged as such, that's great. (What's a little more worrying, and something I've encountered several times, is when people retag these gravel roads as highway=unclassified without adding a surface tag.)

Learn-a-tag: driving_side=left/right 4 months ago

I wonder how you'd tag the short section of the River Cam where boats should follow the left bank, as opposed to the right bank (which is standard everywhere else on the UK waterways). 'driving' doesn't seem the correct word for a boat but maybe I should just let that slide...

Fix a Forest - experimental tiles from US Forest Service data 4 months ago

@mojodna: Just posted it on github - does this help? https://github.com/systemed/forest_roads

Voting is bullshit 4 months ago

Agreed 99%.

The 1%: I don't think it's data consumers who are responsible for this mess. It's tidy-minded people trying to second-guess data consumers. If these tidy-minded people had actually used OSM data they wouldn't be coming up with batshit insane proposals.

At cycle.travel, I suspect I do more detailed analysis (for both routing and display) of paths than any other data consumer. The two most notorious wiki-inspired tags, highway=path and smoothness=, haven't made life any easier for me; they've made it a whole lot more difficult. When highway=path is used without a vast array of supporting tags, which is the case the majority of the time, it's impossible to guess sensible defaults. smoothness= is just a plain bad tag in ways which are too numerous to recite.

Or in other words:

XKCD FTW

Rising participation in the discussion of tag definitions 5 months ago

You can read and post to the OSM mailing lists via a forum interface using Nabble or Gmane. Here's the Nabble pages for tagging@: http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html

How to improve OSM: kill the bureaucracy 5 months ago

Please no! Imports really aren't desperately needed in the US. What's desperately needed in the US is for more people to clean up the disaster area that was the first import of all, TIGER, rather than piling more and more unmaintained, out-dated data on top.

How to improve OSM: kill the bureaucracy 5 months ago

Being a newbie 6 months ago

Brilliant post. Spot on.

We probably need to make (future) private messages into public messages to prevent this form of bullying, and provide a feed of all changeset comments so that bullies can easily be spotted there.