Polyglot has commented on the following diary entries

Time is valuable, using it to contribute for others :) 12 days ago

Hi Agatha,

You know what would be very useful too? There are projects on tasks.hotosm.org in Bangladesh too, like this one:

You can find them by typing a search term. The advantage you have is that you would have a very good idea what you're looking at, when on familiar terrain.

If you like, I can show you how to map more efficiently with JOSM by having a Google hangout or Skype talk.

Polygllot

GSoC 2017 PT_Assistant plugin for JOSM 28 days ago

What do you think of this list?

Maybe you also want to add to it. I might try to program some of those myself, or I'll use the easier ones to test candidates for next summer's GSoC.

I think there is definitely still room for improvement. One issue is that it should be easier to verify what will be done when using the fix button. Visualisation, but that's a hard nut to crack.

GSoC Diary: Conclusion about 1 month ago

For the time being you can start to learn how to create models and create some. You might also want to document your "learning path", so others can follow more easily. (Myself included, I have no idea how to get started with Blender for drawing models of buildings and structures either)

I realise it's less attractive to do so, if the models aren't readily accessible, but it's good to know that that's in the pipeline.

Cheers,

Jo

GSoC Diary: Conclusion about 2 months ago

Google has a project where they pay a stipend to students to improve Free Software projects.

So our software is improved and Google is paying for it, so that's nice of them.

You add the OBJ to the website and declare there to which OSM object it belongs. Pointing in the other direction comes later, if I understood correctly.

Don't know the answer to question 3. It's all fairly 'cutting edge' :-)

Jo

GSoC 2017 JOSM about 2 months ago

That's odd. It might be related to having Expert Mode switched on.

Jo

GSoC Diary: Conclusion about 2 months ago

In a previous diary entry n42k mention he used https://www.blender.org/ to convert the model of the Eiffel tower to Wavefront OBJ format.

I guess it would be possible to use it directly, but most of us probably need some tutorials first, before we can do anything useful.

Using Wikidata data, fixing wrong wikipedia and wikidata tags about 2 months ago

Mateusz, is there a SPARQL query we can use ourselves in JOSM to download this for an area? I realise we would miss the descriptions in that case.

Jo

GSoC Diary: Conclusion about 2 months ago

I must admit I didn't follow this project closely, so maybe this is a dumb question...

Is there a tag on the OSM side that indicates a model is available for a feature on the map?

Jo

diary spam about 2 months ago

I'm not much of a programmer. Next summer is still rather far away, but if it's possible to define what needs to be done, maybe we can formulate it as a GSoC task for 2018?

Or maybe it's something for the EWG to tackle?

Jo

Preparing for my first JOSM workshop - Tips/Suggestions? about 2 months ago

Hi Andre,

I created some scripts to automatically set up JOSM preconfigured with some interesting settings for a Mapathon:

This works on Windows and Linux. The precondition is that Java is already installed though. Do the participants bring their own computers?

Jo

Belarus in Belarusian + bilingual / trilingual / quadrilingual names in Europe about 2 months ago

I don't think it should be done by bots, but having a tool that changes the name of a whole street in one go would probably be beneficial to the result. Fully automated is almost never how things are done on OpenStreetMap, but it would be good that all objects with the same name, change at the same time.

Polyglot

The case for highway=trunk on Texas frontage roads about 2 months ago

Hi Clay,

I see highway=trunk as somewhere between highway=primary and highway=motorway, referring to their importance.

If the inner dual carriageway is highway=primary, I would tag the outer secondary or tertiary.

If you want those to look more important, you could use highway=primary/secondary for the outer pair and highway=trunk for the inner pair. If the inner pair resembles a freeway, that is.

San Diego County Bus Stops and Bus Routes about 2 months ago

Do you think you might be able to mobilize some people to go out and make Mapillary/OpenStreetCam pictures of the stops?

What is interesting to know is whether there is a bench/waste bin/shelter and whether there is a platform area where people wait. If the kerb is higher to make it easier for wheelchair users to alight the bus/tram, that is also interesting information. Also if there are tactile_paving tiles or a button giving audible information for blind people (not exactly sure how they are supposed to find those buttons, but OK). Anyway, those are just some attention points if you're out there to make pictures anyway.

The most important is, of course, to make sure you get the name of the stop, to compare with what's in those GTFS files (no abbreviations). If those ref numbers are on them so the public can see them, then it's really good to take note of them, as it will make it easier to know which stop belongs to which route (automatically) later on.

What I also like to do, is take note of the line numbers and store those in route_ref, separated by semicolons. When surveying, it's usually easy to add them. And when creating the route relations it's convenient to have them.

San Diego County Bus Stops and Bus Routes about 2 months ago

Hi,

I hope I won't discourage you. I just downloaded San Diego in JOSM using the Overpass Query you find here (This will result in a dataset that only has PT related objects):

Mapping public transport for an area like that is going to take a while. It's probably best to do it line by line. First map all the stops, then connect them using route relations.

I see you use JOSM, that's great! We created a plugin called PT_Assistant, which might be an enormous help.

If you like we can do a Hangout or Skype conversation and I can show you how it works.

I also created some screencast videos:

Sorting route relations 2 months ago

JOSM's PT_Assistant plugin now also helps with cleaning up bicycle and hiking routes. Where the ways forks and thus forward/backward roles are needed, it will colour both 'legs' in different colours. This makes adding those roles and especially knowing whether forward or backward is needed a lot easier. This is not only necessary on oneway streets. Bicycle routes will also fork when cycleways are drawn on both sides of the road and on roundabouts with split ways, where they might not use the whole roundabout.

Polyglot

Tram lines in Riga (Latvia) 2 months ago

It took a bit longer than I had hoped. All the tram rails now use their own OSM ways, which is a lot easier for the renderer. It's also a lot more precise, as the rails follow curves which the highways don't. There will probably be some minor errors left. Even though I tried to locate and fix as many as possible. JOSM's PT_Assistant plugin works wonders for this.

Tram lines in Riga (Latvia) 2 months ago

I'm also in the process of converting the tram rails to their own ways, left and right from the highways. It will take a bit longer before I can upload, it's not entirely trivial to accomplish and Ilike to get it as good as feasible. There might be some errors left for local mappers to fix, but that will be for later. I'll let you know when I'm ready to upload. If somebody knows about better imagery than Bing for Riga, I'm interested... Polyglot

Fresh Imagery for Ashgabat Metropolitan Area, Turkmenistan 2 months ago

Hi,

I added it to the imagery resources of JOSM. I started using the imagery to find bus stops with bays. Those are easily recognizable on this imagery.

Polyglot

Tram lines in Riga (Latvia) 2 months ago

Hi Yevgeshik,

If you want to check that everything is alright with the tram line in Riga, you can use:

That query also works in JOSM.

Download/Download from Overpass API.

If you install the PT_Assistant plugin, you can get a more in depth analysis of the routes.

Polyglot