Paul Johnson has commented on the following diary entries

Addresses in Oklahoma 3 months ago

This seems to be a common thing with local US governments. The data is open, but often citing some really thin vineer of excuses to charge for access to the data directly from them. The primary audience tends to be realtors and land developers who generally don't give a shit about spending the $50 to get the current official dataset.

Addresses in Oklahoma 3 months ago

The level of difficulty is that even though this data is digital, this might actually require driving to 77 different cities and picking up 77 CDROMs...which I'm not personally opposed to doing at all, since I could trade shifts with a coworker and start doing it on my days off (along with collecting other data using Mapillary), but the expense of doing so is prohibitive.

A way to filter out closed notes in .osn files 6 months ago

Except you can do that in JOSM with osm.notes.daysClosed...

New Telenav Mapping Project: Dual Carriageways 6 months ago

Oh man, dual carriageway mapping (or the lack of it) drove me fucking bonkers when I first started editing Tulsa. The big divided boulevards now have (and have had for a couple years now) full mapping of the medians with service stubs at driveways. (U-turns are generally allowed in Tulsa, but at the time I was driving a bit of a boat, which requires a bit of extra planning; now I got a Kia and I can swing these much easier, though it does make me wish I had a U-turn signal).

Importing 1 million New York City buildings and addresses 11 months ago

I don't really think name=* is the appropriate place for route numbers stopping at the stations.

Statistic of OpenStreetbugs in Notes about 1 year ago

It wouldn't surprise me if literally half of the currently open notes are mine, right here in Oklahoma.

Complex Intersections, or Why We Should Get Rid Of exit_to about 1 year ago

I'm in favor of burying the exit_to dinosaur, simply because I know of many center-lane (OR 8 from westbound U26), left (westbound I244 to southbound U75) and ambigious (U26 to Market Street; west I244 to north U75) exits that don't fit classical definition, yet are, exits).

Complex Intersections, or Why We Should Get Rid Of exit_to about 1 year ago

No, I'm against name=Exit 77. I'm in favor of ref=* on destination=* relations, however. Mostly because North American ramps often have multiple exit refs on the same ramp to start with. I can think of several in the Portland, Oregon; Vancouver, Washington; and Tulsa, Oklahoma areas without trying (and, in Vancouver's case, minor edit wars, thanks to exit_to being hamfisted).

Complex Intersections, or Why We Should Get Rid Of exit_to about 1 year ago

destination=* also fits for a LOT of awkward edge cases exit_to=* doesn't. For example: A four-way crossroads. Would be nice to come out of a side road and get a direction like, "Turn right on OK 11, then in a quarter mile, turn left on to CR XYZ, to Ramona (via county road)". Which would be an improvement over the current usual OSM direction of "Turn right on OK 11, then in a quarter mile, turn left to CR XYZ," or Garmin's equivalent, "...then turn left onto Unnamed Road."

Should OpenStreetMap participate in ResetTheNet ? about 1 year ago

I really wish that there was a good way to proxy cache HTTPS. Or, heck, cache HTTPS. Most browsers won't do it, and (obviously, duh) it can't be transparently cached with squid. HTTPS is definitely much more bandwidth intensive than HTTP, which is still a big problem: Much of the US is still on dialup, and pretty much everywhere that isn't Scandinavia or South Korea isn't exactly doing much better.

Footways in Orloff Park, Pleasanton, CA, USA over 1 year ago

Footways? Or paths? If it's really narrow, like, two bikes can't pass head on without someone pulling over, footway=yes is definitely appropriate (if bikes are allowed, bicycle=yes is appropriate). Are bicycles allowed? Is it wide enough for two bikes to pass head on without slowing? Then highway=path is a better fit. Are pedestrians banned or is there a painted centerline? Then highway=cycleway (and possibly foot=yes) is appropriate.

turntable added just as it's removed almost 2 years ago

Brooklyn Roundhouse was demolished the week of my return to Oklahoma in August 2012.

North Korea is strange almost 2 years ago

That canal's centerline could use some extra nodes. And a shoreline.

Not-very-useful GPS traces about 2 years ago

The intersection of the Equator and Prime Meridian is called "the origin."

Working on the Seattle Data Import. over 2 years ago

Be careful not to break things along the way. Relations, of which there are many in Seattle, affect turn restrictions, the bike map, ease of maintainability, and more.

Bike routes over 2 years ago

Please use route relations for the cycleway network, rather than tagging the underlying ways. It's much easier to maintain, allows for richer tagging on the related route, and all around less of a hassle to deal with.

calculate ways instead of drawing or: a look at "average tracks" over 2 years ago

This could make an interesting JOSM plugin

* What I am working on :) almost 3 years ago

Well, that's cool...where can I find out more about this traffic service?

* What I am working on :) almost 3 years ago

Curious what is being used to generate traffic awareness.

“Sidewalks” about 3 years ago

Please use relations for routes (like the LCN), not tagging the way.