Paul Johnson has commented on the following diary entries

Importing 1 million New York City buildings and addresses 4 months ago

I don't really think name=* is the appropriate place for route numbers stopping at the stations.

Statistic of OpenStreetbugs in Notes 5 months ago

It wouldn't surprise me if literally half of the currently open notes are mine, right here in Oklahoma.

Complex Intersections, or Why We Should Get Rid Of exit_to 6 months ago

I'm in favor of burying the exit_to dinosaur, simply because I know of many center-lane (OR 8 from westbound U26), left (westbound I244 to southbound U75) and ambigious (U26 to Market Street; west I244 to north U75) exits that don't fit classical definition, yet are, exits).

Complex Intersections, or Why We Should Get Rid Of exit_to 6 months ago

No, I'm against name=Exit 77. I'm in favor of ref=* on destination=* relations, however. Mostly because North American ramps often have multiple exit refs on the same ramp to start with. I can think of several in the Portland, Oregon; Vancouver, Washington; and Tulsa, Oklahoma areas without trying (and, in Vancouver's case, minor edit wars, thanks to exit_to being hamfisted).

Complex Intersections, or Why We Should Get Rid Of exit_to 6 months ago

destination=* also fits for a LOT of awkward edge cases exit_to=* doesn't. For example: A four-way crossroads. Would be nice to come out of a side road and get a direction like, "Turn right on OK 11, then in a quarter mile, turn left on to CR XYZ, to Ramona (via county road)". Which would be an improvement over the current usual OSM direction of "Turn right on OK 11, then in a quarter mile, turn left to CR XYZ," or Garmin's equivalent, "...then turn left onto Unnamed Road."

Should OpenStreetMap participate in ResetTheNet ? 7 months ago

I really wish that there was a good way to proxy cache HTTPS. Or, heck, cache HTTPS. Most browsers won't do it, and (obviously, duh) it can't be transparently cached with squid. HTTPS is definitely much more bandwidth intensive than HTTP, which is still a big problem: Much of the US is still on dialup, and pretty much everywhere that isn't Scandinavia or South Korea isn't exactly doing much better.

Footways in Orloff Park, Pleasanton, CA, USA 9 months ago

Footways? Or paths? If it's really narrow, like, two bikes can't pass head on without someone pulling over, footway=yes is definitely appropriate (if bikes are allowed, bicycle=yes is appropriate). Are bicycles allowed? Is it wide enough for two bikes to pass head on without slowing? Then highway=path is a better fit. Are pedestrians banned or is there a painted centerline? Then highway=cycleway (and possibly foot=yes) is appropriate.

turntable added just as it's removed over 1 year ago

Brooklyn Roundhouse was demolished the week of my return to Oklahoma in August 2012.

North Korea is strange over 1 year ago

That canal's centerline could use some extra nodes. And a shoreline.

Not-very-useful GPS traces over 1 year ago

The intersection of the Equator and Prime Meridian is called "the origin."

Working on the Seattle Data Import. over 1 year ago

Be careful not to break things along the way. Relations, of which there are many in Seattle, affect turn restrictions, the bike map, ease of maintainability, and more.

Bike routes about 2 years ago

Please use route relations for the cycleway network, rather than tagging the underlying ways. It's much easier to maintain, allows for richer tagging on the related route, and all around less of a hassle to deal with.

calculate ways instead of drawing or: a look at "average tracks" about 2 years ago

This could make an interesting JOSM plugin

* What I am working on :) about 2 years ago

Well, that's cool...where can I find out more about this traffic service?

* What I am working on :) about 2 years ago

Curious what is being used to generate traffic awareness.

“Sidewalks” over 2 years ago

Please use relations for routes (like the LCN), not tagging the way.

Apple... Please don't render FixMe's over 2 years ago

@ingalls: JOSM's history plugin should give you some idea as well.

tertiary roads, TIGER and history over 2 years ago

Generally speaking that should be OK for county and the main forest service routes. Secondary might be a better baseline if it's a state highway.

On Tracing from Poor Imagery over 2 years ago

@asciiphil: Oh, cool; does it check relations or just the ref= on the way? Which takes priority?

On Tracing from Poor Imagery over 2 years ago

Wow, what renderer is that?