Niels Elgaard Larsen has commented on the following diary entries

Need help: which osm apps to recommend? over 2 years ago

Navit (ZANavit) is good.

Much more Odsherred over 3 years ago

I am sure there are some errors.

But sometimes it is also really hard to see if roads are connected.
Even when it looks obvious that they should be connected you can not be sure.
For example much of Odsherred is below sea level, so the road could have a small canal on one side, with roads ending just on the other side of the canal. And often trees grows along canals.

I tend not to connect roads if I am not sure.

Odsherred over 3 years ago

Ja, der sker da noget.
Men der er stadig store huller på fx fx Vestsjælland.

Det ærgrer mig lidt, da jeg voksede op der. Hvis jeg havde haft en GPS dengang, havde det set helt anderledes ud :-)

Motivation (or how to get more of it) over 3 years ago

You could make games without jeopardizing quality.

For example you select 25 random, unmapped roads in a given area (e.g., Slagelse, Kalundborg, Holbæk triangle). The list is secret. Players go mapping and claim a road when they finish mapping it. If a player claim a road on the list, it is verified that it is a good mapping, the score is updated, revealing the name of the road. The other players have a couple of days to protest based on quality.
The winner is the the player with most claimed roads when all roads are claimed or at some deadline.
The point is that only the roads on the secret list have to be verified, which is hopefully a small fraction.
You can add various ways of giving hints to players. The more hints the larger area you can have.

Reliability of Open Street Map almost 4 years ago

>How long have you been using OSM?
4 years

>Approximately how often do you use and edit OSM?
once or twice a month. Copenhagen where I live is close to completed for roads at least, so whenever I travel outside Copenhagen.

>What are your incentives for editing in OSM?
To contribute to an important project.
Privacy.

>What is your preferred method of attaining data to upload (e.g. GPS points, >digitizing, uploading photographs)?

GPS-points.

>Do you feel there is much disparity in the reliability of OSM data?

not much.

If so, do you think this could be the result of the socio-economic dynamics of an area or the method of attaining data etc?

Certainly the method. I.e. Copenhagen and surrounding (East half of
Sealand) have good Yahoo images, the rest of Denmark does not. It is
very obvious that this makes the difference in coverage.

Popular remote tourist areas are probably most reliable because they are
mapped by many different people with good GPS-coverage.

stupid novice question almost 4 years ago

If you mean if you can set a waypoint on you GPS, and then add it to OSM using the coordinates, then yes.

I do not know you GPS, but I use MaemoMapper and I can set a waypoint (mark), export the GPX, open it in Merkaartor and it automatically add the point.

Averaging of Traces about 4 years ago

Maybe you can get help from User:findvej import script:

What to do when "your" road conflicts with someone else's view of it. about 4 years ago

I generally go for the averaging too.

But sometimes it is obvious the you have the better trace. Ie. when you have been walking down the middle of the roads. And the previous track seems to be from a car.

Sometimes you have to do something. I.e. when you have mapped several roads that turns out to be crossing the railroad, where they should not be.

And some roads are made from satellite images. I assume that my GPS is more precise or at least that different GPS tracks at different times will even out whereas it seems that satellite images are often off in one direction.

Best practice: offline mapping? about 4 years ago

I usually do not make too many notes in Denmark since every address is already imported, making it possible to figure out roadnames in most cases.

A voice recording utility would be nice. It does not necessarily have to be geotagged. Timestamps would do. Just a application that would make a new mp3/ogg file every time you pressed "record". They it would be trivial to match sound files with streets using file time-stamps.

I have an old mp3 player, that can record. I will give it a try.