NE2 has commented on the following diary entries

On implied turn restrictions and armchair mapping over 1 year ago

Just found this on FDOT's 2013 map: http://www.dot.state.fl.us/surveyingandmapping/maps/FLStateMap2013.pdf "A single WHITE solid line discourages crossing but does not prohibit crossing."

PS: I've been banned from OSM. Because Benghazi.

Would there be any use for a builder=* tag? over 1 year ago

My thought is that home buyers (both new and used) might be interested in buying a home from a certain builder. I don't know how common this is, though.

Would there be any use for a builder=* tag? over 1 year ago

Nope: http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/viewDoc.jsp?node=DOCC9473993

On implied turn restrictions and armchair mapping over 1 year ago

I'm in Orlando, and you seem to be in Toronto...?

Street name not on any signs but used in an address? almost 2 years ago

I don't think name=Disney's Pop Century would be appropriate on the road, since that's the name of what the road leads to, not the road itself.

On implied turn restrictions and armchair mapping almost 2 years ago

PS: I do apologize for the hell comment. That was uncalled for.

On implied turn restrictions and armchair mapping almost 2 years ago

Linked here for possible future use: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=29.654025~-81.670804&lvl=20&dir=0&sty=a What's the point of the southbound left turn lane if not for U-turning into the right turn lane (thereby crossing a solid white line)?

On implied turn restrictions and armchair mapping almost 2 years ago

I did consult with Paul first.

On implied turn restrictions and armchair mapping almost 2 years ago

I don't apologize for trying to do the right thing. Especially not with eejits like Steve A trying to profile me as a sociopath who's in it for the conflict. If I were religious I could take comfort in his going to hell, but nah.

On implied turn restrictions and armchair mapping almost 2 years ago

I seem to have flipped from manic ("I can stop a bully with logic!") to depressive ("what the hell was I thinking") in the past few hours. Don't bother me unless kicking a man when he's down makes you feel bigger.

On implied turn restrictions and armchair mapping almost 2 years ago

Stereo: yes, if crossing the white line is forbidden, then the turn restriction should be there. But Florida has adopted the MUTCD, which does not forbid crossing single white lines: http://www.dot.state.fl.us/trafficoperations/Operations/MUTCD.shtm

In fact, where FDOT wants to ban changing lanes, they correctly use a double white line (I was here about a month ago, and got trapped in the right lane, meaning that I had to turn right and U-turn): http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=27.898155,-82.693094&spn=0.008648,0.016512&gl=us&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=27.898372,-82.693102&panoid=7QxqWamyOAk4G0eUvM6tOw&cbp=12,193.68,,1,3.71

On implied turn restrictions and armchair mapping almost 2 years ago

And Paul has indeed gone down the road of denial: "Pretty rich coming from someone who hasn't ever been in the field."

I invite anyone who thinks it's a straight movement to come visit me and drive it together. Because looking at it on the ground it's definitely a left turn into the rightmost lane.

On implied turn restrictions and armchair mapping almost 2 years ago

alexz: which is what I did. goldfndr: yes. All lanes on Buena Vista get a red.

On implied turn restrictions and armchair mapping almost 2 years ago

dale_p: I can find no basis in law for that passage in the Florida Driver's Handbook.

compdude: what other drivers? Those stopped at the light?

mapping the greyhound. about 2 years ago

If Greyhound stops on the corner with no real infrastructure of its own, that's highway=bus_stop (or whatever the new scheme says). If they have a separate building, that's amenity=bus_station. Individual bus bays within the station are highway=bus_stop.

See here (which is a local public bus station, but the idea is the same): http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1209090

Potlatch 2 simple mode hides too much about 2 years ago

What patch? I don't program.

"Sierra Mountains"? about 2 years ago

And none of those is called "Sierra Mountains". Was there a point to your comment?

Can someone explain this routing problem? about 2 years ago

Huh? Whatever these 'small components' are supposed to be, they're certainly not clustered around the routing.

Say what? about 2 years ago

Not usually named after one of its tenants, that is. Generally only named as such if that tenant is the owner or the primary user.

Say what? about 2 years ago

For me, it would depend on whether a customer could walk up and do business, or whether this person simply works from home and maybe invites clients over after creating a working relationship.

As for the specifics, this seems to be a multi-tenant building. This can be problematic even in the case of a typical office building, but certainly a building is not named after one of its tenants.