Marlow has commented on the following diary entries

Roscommon -> Belfast and back on the country roads over 3 years ago

Nope. Just a normal 5-series estate. But some of the roads are harsh enough alright.

Railroad bridges over 5 years ago

It just "hit" me, because we've got a van with hoist and that thing can't go under some of the railroad bridges.

Now, If we've already have a problem there, it becomes and issue and certainly does with special goods. So it definatly is important.

Mapping rural areas over 5 years ago

Same story in Ireland. The only way is to take the car and simply drive the roads with a gps logger.

The emerald isle over 5 years ago

Howdy, just bumped over a few of your mappings in Ireland and thus had a look in the diary.

Yes, Ireland is an odd case. L-roads (tertiary) have been numbered since 2006, but a lot of them don't have their numbers signed yet.

Generally speaking, postal and thus naming for geographically associated things are different in Ireland.

Only Dublin and Cork have postcodes or more post districts. Roads are only named in the cities and villages, but not in rural Ireland (at all).

The same is for house numbers, they don't exist in rural Ireland. In cities and villages they obviously are unavoidable.

Your observation with the housing estates probably comes from, how things are done postal wise in rural Ireland. The address consists of the name of the person, the townland, the village, where the nearest post office, but that can vary and obviously the county. From there, the post guy (or girl) has to know, who lives in what house. So when you move an area, the first thing is to catch the post guy or go to the post office and tell'em, what your name is, what house you live in and who else lives there. They'll generally be able to deliver your post then. Also a lot of people don't have their names at the door or on the mailbox.

As for signing, it varies a lot, because you can find various generations of different signing and then for the housing estates, everybody wants to look apart, so everybody does their own thing. It's not regulated, really.

New Cross Gate beer induced ideas over 5 years ago

smsm1: No, it's 6 alright, I was using. 3 just tells me no route loaded. In general it didn't seem to work for me very well. Mom is pretty straight forward and all I really wanted was just a view of the OSM maps, so that I know, what has been mapped and what not.

New Cross Gate beer induced ideas over 5 years ago

I had a look at trackmyjourney.co.uk and downloaded it to my Nokia E90, but if I use it opened up, it'll only show the right part of the map (about 20% of the full screen).

The other thing, that I found a bit annoying is, that you have to use the MapOrganiser to create a OSM map, that you then have to load. And it'll only work of that particular map-file unless you change it manually. That's at least what i figured.

Afterwards I tried to use MoM and that works a lot easier. It downloads the maps as you go, you can zoom down to 100m scale and it works open as closed perfectly on the E90. Mom has the disadvantage, that it needs GPRS/3G connected all the time and if it wants to download the mapfile while the connection is rubbish or not present, it hangs for a while. It also looks like it's logging is patchy at times, as it skips a few dots when it's either downloading a map or re-centering the screen, but that hasn't been a big issue for me, as the logging is handled by my bluetooth gps receiver. I only needed a tool, that gives me a good idea of what isn't logged yet.

Nokia Symbian Phones as datalogger over 5 years ago

They are precise enough as such, depending on where you position the phone. However aquisition time is rather long, it's harsh on the battery and they loose the satelite connection in every crucial moment.

I'm using the E90 with a bluetooth GPS mouse. The advantage is, that in the memory of the phone you can track far more points, then for example in a standard gps logger.

In case of no other option, the internal GPS is always better than nothing.