MapMakinMeyers has commented on the following diary entries

High-resolution mapping of the Southern-most location in the Caribbean (Turbo, Antioquia, Colombia) about 1 month ago

what can I do to help you? Thanks! Justin

Totalrevision der Verordnung über das eidgenössische Gebäude- und Wohnungsregister (VGWR) 4 months ago

Thanks! Do you know the person in charge of that project? Is there an updated list of sources/ sites as per the data? Cheers

@SimonPoole, is there open address point data for the entire nation? Thanks!

Philippines Admin 4 Shapefile Data!!!!!!!! 7 months ago

I am just sharing with the osm community - license/ metadata is in a txt file included with the data

I work with admin boundaries globally every day. I have no plans for these - OSM people get all wild about imports, data, etc. So if it come to that, the larger community can discuss - I am just a data guy -

If you need boundaries for any specific country let me know - I have tons of them ;)

I just trace imagery... http://yosmhm.neis-one.org/?MapMakinMeyers

Cheers, J

Making a multilingual map of India using OpenStreetMap data about 1 year ago

do you have the raw data used for the names? and the wiki ids?

Belarus shapefile data about 1 year ago

Yes, I just wanted to share ;)

All Municipalities in Nicaragua over 1 year ago

do you have the raw shapefile data from the government?

Adding missing towns and villages in OSM over 1 year ago

Jothirnadh, I will send you some updated nga locations and will shift them based on macthing village and urban area within settlement to help your team. I can send in a csv or shapefile format. I will do Karnataka as a poc for your team message me your email

Today is thanksgiving in the US so I will be with friends and family, but will be working on this for you guys here and there.

cheers

Community mapping in Cape Town over 1 year ago

amazing work!! check out their open data here: http://web1.capetown.gov.za/web1/opendataportal/Default

cheers!! Justin

Why am I against wholesale import of administrative boundaries from any 3rd party source for the Philippines over 1 year ago

I agree with Maning. GADM is junk in my opinion. I have reached out to Dr. Hijmans (http://desp.ucdavis.edu/people/robert-j-hijmans) numerous times and have spoken on the phone with him with regard to the data and sources. He does not feel the need to cite his sources. He does not know where all the data is from!? And he is impossible to work with. You could send him 50 e-mails and he will not reply (yes, I did this and he does not reply...).

At one point there was a license for the data mentioned - it was a non-commercial.

I think talking with the proper government agency in the country the boundaries are for in any country is best. If a nation does not have quality data with a proper license, then users should take action and go out and map.

South Kivu RGC pre-existing map - has anyone seen this yet? over 1 year ago

they released data about three years ago: http://www.rgc.cd/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=41&Itemid=183

this is shapefile data. not sure the copyright/ scale/ etc. I reached out to them in the past, but had no luck receiving any follow-up.

cheers

Mapping of Sukadana about 2 years ago

just sent the e-mail. let me know if the desa names are correct. Thanks!

Mapping of Sukadana about 2 years ago

can i send you a shapefile of the desas in the area so you could confirm them?

New Zealand Data Help about 2 years ago

DaCor, this is my first time using it. From my understanding the NZ government is pretty good about opening up data to the public. I believe they are just getting back from a holiday, so hopefully I hear from them soon. Please vote and encourage your friends and colleagues to vote.

I also filed a request here: https://fyi.org.nz/

These seem to be granted quite often.

Thank you!!

How can I get accurate locations in a forest ? over 2 years ago

Strava doesn't share data back with the larger community; reaching out to them is a joke...

If I were trying to get a accurate GPS trail through heavy foliage I would hike/ bike/ walk/ drive the route several times and average out the data; take a few geotagged pics. Line up with some imagery from EarthExplorer (if in US) - and make it yourself. Sometimes emailing county gis departments or park departments for baseline data doesnt hurt.

Cheers!

India Villages over 2 years ago

Alt text

dlr data help over 2 years ago

Festive. Does anyone here have any contacts there that may be able to change that!? It seems like the osm community has a strong voice in getting data from governments. In all honesty, I am willing to bet the agency uses osm data... so you would think they would have a working relationship with osm and the mapping community.

Cheers, Justin

dlr data help over 2 years ago

Who funds them? Isn't Deutschland all about open data!?!?? Is there anyway to formally request access to this information? You would think they would want to share it...???

OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike about 3 years ago

Wasn't OSM founded on the concept of free and open data. 'Open' data with silly licenses is not open, it is licensed. just my .02$

Cheers ;)