M!dgard has commented on the following diary entries

Belgian Mapper of the Month : Matthieu Gaillet 3 months ago

If you don't like the tone on talk-be, I suggest you never subscribe to the tagging list. At times, talk-be feels like coming home in a happy, embracing family after reading tagging :p

Improving the OSM map - why don't we? [10] 3 months ago

For this particular case the choice of the mapper wasn't all that wrong, although I would have preferred

On now to the fixme-chaos!

I think you forgot to finish your sentence?

Improving the OSM map - why don't we? [10] 3 months ago

fixme:admin_level=7,8 and not: fixme=admin_level should be 7,8 If you argue that it is more clear in this way (at first sight) what needs to be fixed, then I start a proposal that we should start using: shop:bakery=yes instead of shop=bakery amenity:bench=yes instead of amenity=bench landuse:grass=yes instead of landuse=grass Maybe even better is shop:bakery:yes=true and then use shop:bakery:yes=false for the Butcher? Got the picture?

Yes, we should all start using name_en=, name_nl=, addr_housenumber=, demolished_building=, shop_vending=bread;cheese;vegetables,milk;peanuts;underwear;batteries;books;jam;honey;butter;milk – oops, already had that one.

/sarcasm off

Namespaced keys are useful in their own ways. Keys that normally have just one value, are great for regular tags like amenity=bench, and keys that have multiple values are better expressed in namespaced keys. Admittedly in your example the comment is confusing, but fixme:phone=resurvey is just as clear as fixme=phone number needs resurveying.

Removing phone booths in Belgium 4 months ago

And in fact I surveyed and removed the closest 4 before this edit ;)

Removing phone booths in Belgium 4 months ago

Hi woodpeck

I am aware of the Mechanical Edits rules.

I'm sorry, I forgot to note that this was something we have been discussing this on the Belgian mailinglist since June. There was not a single voice against this. In fact newer contributors not on the list began asking me if there wasn't a way to automatically remove them, since it has been on the TV news that they're all gone.

We are very very sure that there are no operational Belgacom/Proximus phone booths left. Any other phones were not removed, though we believe there are none left whatsoever.

Kind regards

map styles: Default OSM vs Google Maps 7 months ago

This may also be an interesting area: Google Maps doesn't do a great job here either: it's not clear what's water and what's road, although I see they have improved it a bit since last year.

Belgian Mappers of the Month: Ruben & Josefien 8 months ago

Ha, I can tell you those badges don't work nearly as much as we'd hoped. People don't really look that close at you. (That would be awkward.) That's why we are designing T-shirts now, they are much more visible!

We've drawn a lot of attention to ourselves while collecting POIs in the Kerkstraat, one shop owner even talked to us when we were harvesting his opening hours. He couldn't believe we were really doing it for free and thought there was a catch, so he didn't trust us ...