Today I took a drive up to Mansfield to get my hair cut, see my dad and pick up a Bluetooth-enabled GPS receiver to use with GpsMid on my Nokia 6280. I was amazed at how simple it was to start collecting traces. As a first stab, I took a quick walk around the block and produced a trace encompassing Goldsmith Street, Chaucer Street, some of Bancroft Lane and Rosemary Street, Layton Avenue and Stanton Place (I think, I need to check that street name).
When I came to leave, I took an extended route to pick up the rest of Bancroft Lane, some of Ladybrook Lane and the remaining bit of the ring road. It was so cool when I was approaching Derby seeing the map approaching (I only had a very small area, barely covering Derby, downloaded to my phone) and this allowed me to again take a small detour to take in some of the back streets of Derby that I'm not so familiar with and struggled to trace from the NPE. I made sure to go right around the roundabout just down the road, as I've been wanting to fill that in accurately for a while now, and also to weave around Lewis Street, Birdwood Street, St Augustine Street and Vincent Street to get the important points to line them up.
I edited the first trace in JOSM and uploaded the results... then uploaded the raw GPX in case that's useful for others. The second trace for some reason didn't work out, possibly a problem with the GPX export as it displays OK on the phone. The third trace came out really well and I've now lined up Lewis Street, even if some of the other streets in the area need some more data and a little more tweaking.