Hjart has commented on the following diary entries

Geocache camouflage with OpenStreetMap 2 months ago

Wow.. What a great idea!

More GPX tracks, etc. 3 months ago

Telia Navigator 3 months ago

Hvorfor tror du det er os der har gjort det?

I am new to this digital mapping tool... 3 months ago

For bicycle navigation I mainly use a Garmin device loaded with OpenStreetMap data covering all of Denmark. For other uses i like to use OsmAnd for Android. OsmAnd does routing for bicycle, foot and car and so should cover your needs nicely. It will allow you to easily download a map covering all of Denmark (which should fit quite nicely on most phones) in one go. And yes, it can show you your current position at any time.

Less technical persons might want to look at MapsWithMe for Android, which is a much simpler app than OsmAnd, which also lets you download the entire map of Denmark (and other countries/areas) in one go.

You might also want to have a look at http://cyclistic.dk/en/ and http://www.naviki.org/

Using a smartphone for navigation you might want to consider a handlebar mount and some battery backup.

The hazard of relying on commercial implementations of Open Source projects 6 months ago

A popular (also among many humanitarian workers in i.e. Africa) OSM based offline routing app for Android is the open source OsmAnd. There are several commercial OSM based alternatives such as Mapfactor Navigator and GPS Navigator by Skobbler. For mere mapviewing MapsWithMe is fast and very popular. Also note that there are several sources for premade OSM based maps for many Garmin models. Vespucci is for editing OpenStreetMap, but please note that it is not exactly easy to use.

What is the OpenStreetMap convention? Do we tag addresses on buildings or on separate nodes? 9 months ago

In Denmark (that small country in northern Europe), where all addresses are imported, addresses (as I understand it) by law do not belong to any building. They are imported as separate nodes and we prefer to keep them that way. Occasionally a foreigner comes by, draws a few buildings and in the proces includes the address in the building. We consider that an error and regularly corrects it.

Improving the map of La Boquilla 12 months ago

Wonderfull story. Thank you for sharing.

Interest in Editing about 1 year ago

You are so welcome

Problem in Editing Map about 1 year ago

Did you choose a background? And if you did please note that there isn't e.g. Bing imagery coverage everywhere. If you don't have any imagery in your area (or it's outdated), gps-tracks are a good option.

Anyone has a tool to fix this kind of way? about 1 year ago

That's some really ugly stuff. By far the easiest thing to do is to delete and remap. I rarely use Potlatch, but even in JOSM fixing self-crossing roads like these tends to be really cumbersome.

Frustrated by rogue popups in JOSM over 1 year ago

You are expected to hold the right mouse-button pressed down while scrolling the map in JOSM, not right-click.

We need to gamify over 1 year ago

As someone who has already spent thousands of hours in JOSM and so probably would top a few lists, I would be very wary of gamifying anything OSM. Because how would you really measure the "value" of a contributor going out of his way to provide quality (takes his time to draw accurately rounded curves or spot all sorts of mistakes, etc.) relative to someone who (apparently) just cares about throwing lots of nodes and ways onto the map (I've noticed a few examples of that). At this point I just can't imagine a way to effectively differentiate between the two without throwing insane amounts of manpower at it, in which case it sort of seems moot to me.

Throwing more nodes and ways at the map doesn't necessarily make it better.

1 Million Mappers Soon ... No, Not Really over 1 year ago

I too would very much appreciate an option to filter out nearby users who never made an edit or those that wasn't active for a given amount of time.

Interesting GPS camera development over 4 years ago

I have a Garmin 550t https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=26876&ra=true
which is just plain great for mapping :-)

What will matter? over 4 years ago

Pretty off topic and not even true...

I don't like Mapzen over 4 years ago

Try going to http://josm.openstreetmap.de/. It looks like JOSM is partly translated to Arabic allready.

Bridges over 4 years ago

In Ribe, Denmark, where I live, there's a river running through a landuse=residential. It's rendered fine in both Mapnik and Osmarender. The river was tagged layer=-1 when I first found OSM 10 days ago.

Bridges over 4 years ago

I tag rivers and streams layer=-1 so I won't have to tag the bridges going over them layer=1