Hjart has commented on the following diary entries

Wikipedia and OSM collaboration 4 days ago

@escada Correct

Wikipedia and OSM collaboration 5 days ago

@escada Note that JOSM's Wikipedia plugin allows to directly query wikidata for an area. For me this has been quite convenient in that it has helped me discover foreign (mainly german & english) wikipedia articles for features in Denmark. This also means that I have added quite a few wikidata tags with no corresponding wikipedia tag (as i feel it's too silly to add foreign language wikipedia links to danish features) Note that there's also many wikidata items (with coordinates) with no wikipedia counterpart.

False labling of addresses 16 days ago

You're welcome to fix them yourself.

(Not) Addicted Already. Honest! about 1 month ago

To me OSM is practically a full time job. Be warned ;-)

Free Tiles and a Story of Noncommercial Death Spiral 2 months ago

@siberiano. Please understand that OSM is not a business or commercial company. It's a complete non-profit organisation, 100% run by hobbyists and volunteers. Our servers are paid for with donated money, so we just plain can't afford to provide free tiles for everyone and it's not our mission at all anyway.

OSM may to some degree compete with commercial providers, but competing is not the intention of our project at all and it doesn't really need to. OSM exists because a lot of people want data that can't be had at an for most people affordable price in any other way. For me OSM is my primary hobby. I've been contributing for 6 years and have seen several other attempts at predicting the death of OSM and despite that I still see OSM picking up steam beyond my wildest dreams. Ok, everything that was born or started at some point must also have an end, but I just can't see OSM come to that for quite some years.

Free Tiles and a Story of Noncommercial Death Spiral 2 months ago

I think you are missing the point of OSM, which is not to be a tile provider or an end user product at all, so I think you can't really compare your noncommercial network to OSM. Our core "business" is in creating data, not in providing services to anyone. Note that anyone can copy our data and create tiles based on them (just like i.e. Mapbox does). If you think it's so "economically sound" you are perfectly free to offer your very own unlimited plans providing tiles based on our data.

What's going in Egypt? 3 months ago

There's a lot of crap in that area. Whoever was supposed to clean it up before upload certainly didn't.

What's going in Egypt? 3 months ago

I had just had a look at it: Lots of tiny road segments and imho generally not very impressive quality. My guess is that it wasn't done by a human. It's probably good for looks (at a distance), but it's going to take a lot of work (by humans) to clean it up. I think I found one of the areas mentioned in the FB forum post mentioned above: (also in Egypt) which appears very similar to this.

There are no satellites 3 months ago

Where is this?

Does Open Street Map have an input API? or Upload feature? 4 months ago

You are obviously very,very new to OSM (you didn't even make any edits yet). I recommend making at least a few (using iD) doing anything else and that you do not even consider importing anything before having considerable experience doing ordinary edits.

Strange routing? 5 months ago

This probably has to do with road classification: The Carmona exit route is trunk all the way with no speed limit given (in the OSM data), while Susana Heights is primary only as well as limited to 60 km.

JOSM+Terracer Now Almost Unusable for Relation Creation 5 months ago

Since JOSM is an open source project, entirely run by volunteers, one solution could be to find a developer near you, who could be convinced (possibly by promising a beer or two) to look into it. Hammering the existing overworked volunteers, obviously doesn't work.

The importance of sidewalks 5 months ago

As far as I'm aware most pedestrian routing ignores oneway on highway=* that are not footway or cycleway.

Also note

Do also note that is often a much better solution than complex networks of separately drawn sidewalks (

erster blogeintrag 8 months ago

"zum wohle der gemeinschaft beitragen". I love that :-). Thumbs up!

Why is Mack Hatcher so screwed up on the cycle view? 10 months ago

The data is ok. Just wait until the cycle view has caught up.

Aligning hiway to Bing imagery 10 months ago

I just had a look at the area again with the Strava cycling heatmap layer active (in JOSM) and see a lot of both major and minor roads covered. You may want to have a look at it, since these are generally quite reliable.

Also in my experience gps-traces collected while cycling are much better than those collected while driving cars or walking (since when walking you will often not keep your phone or gps-receiver steady).

Aligning hiway to Bing imagery 10 months ago

Do not take for granted that Bing imagery is correctly aligned. gps-traces may be not be accurate either, but since I see several that seem fairly good quality along that highway, I would trust them over Bing.

1000 10 months ago

No matter how small or large your edits are, Thank you for your continued contributions :-)

New Telenav tool: Fix missing and wrong one-way streets 12 months ago

Very nice tool. Found a few gems already. The vast majority of what I've seen so far has been false positives though (long stretches of primarily secondary and primary roads, which actually are bidirectional, but not dual carriageway)

Editing about 1 year ago