Harry Wood has commented on the following diary entries

StreetMap.co.uk uses OSM 9 months ago

Cool. Which bits of OSM data are they using? Can you work it out? Footpaths I guess.

Overpass Query Wizard ++ 9 months ago

It like it! Combined with "location filters" it feels quite like natural language. I tried "library in london" for example.

Attribution and all that (a rant) 10 months ago

Good rant. I agree wholeheartedly. Linked from the minutes there is a good detailed explanation of how to give credit to OpenStreetMap

@ThomasZander Really? I'm trying to imagine which kind of mobile development you are you doing. A cross-operating system approach which is not HTML5. ...titanium?

The last two winter meet-ups, and first summer one TONIGHT 10 months ago

Don't worry. I'm pretty sure the sysadmins aren't going to just switch it off one day. If it was going to happen it would be discussed more widely, or at least announced more widely. I think I remember mentioning to grant at the time, that the JOSM plugins are all set-up to use SVN.

Marry Christmas OSM 10 months ago

Takes a bit of imagination to see a santa there. It's a bit like spotting shapes in cloud formations. I like it!

Somebody could ruin this dreamy serendipity with some cold hard engineering. Process the planet file in search of a shapes that match most similarly to a predefined santa shape :-)

Tile Stitching... 11 months ago

I created a wiki page, mainly so I could make this findable in the Tile Stitching category. Quite a few different tools do this. Maybe we should make a more general page 'Tile Stitching'

London Typhoon Haiyan Mapathon 11 months ago

I do like my links :-) Actually I wrote this on the train without and internet connection. Frustrating. I had to leave the links to fill in later.

Notes from anonymous users 11 months ago

p.s. I've added this here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Notes#Todo._Guidelines_for_resolving_notes let's start thinking about what the guidelines should look like.

Notes from anonymous users 11 months ago

You raise some interesting questions, and I certainly don't have answers for all of them.

I'd say the default assumption for an anonymous note would hopefully be that somebody local is reporting a problem or supplying some information to add. But clearly we'll need to apply some common sense here. So obviously in this case you're suspicious about the source of the information, and this takes us into a legal grey area. Taken collectively, it starts to look like copying from a potentially copyrighted source. This is made less severe by the consideration that Aldi would probably quite like to have their store locations on OpenStreetMap (if they ever thought about it) but made more severe by the possibility that google geocoding has been involved. We can bring in more sources. Use bing imagery to look for big things which look like Aldi stores. Maybe we can even use google streetview to double check some stuff. Legal grey areas aplenty!

Normally I would say this is not an approach for adding data to OpenStreetMap, but since you're working to resolve notes from somebody else... maybe that changes things. I'm not sure really.

A couple of other things I would note about notes: I've seen a few people getting up tight about how they can resolve certain notes, as if they need to do so, and they'll just die of frustration if they can't resolve it one way or another, but maybe sometimes we need to just chill out and leave them dangling for a while. After all, to my mind there are two perfectly valid categories of notes. (1) People supplying information, which any mapper can then add to the map using nothing more than bing imagery, but also (2) People raising a question which will require survey on the ground. This second type of note cannot be resolved by sitting at your computer, so either you'll have to head out there, or just put up with that annoying note left dangling. In the context of that, might it be useful to leave these Aldi notes on the map so that next time you or anyone else are in the area, you can check for an Aldi on the ground?

Also you can reply to anonymous notes. Obviously the original user won't be emailed about this, but it's not impossible that they will swing by again to see this. Again this requires us to be a bit patient and leave the note dangling for long enough for that to happen.

We're forging new ground with the "netiquette" around how we process notes. There's certainly more we can add to the wiki offering guidance around this stuff, but they're still quite new. Personally I don't have that much experience of dealing with them, but it's clear we need to direct more attention to them (e.g. get more people roaming with apps to try resolving on-the-ground type queries) I do wonder whether we should have some sort of layer of classification for the 1's and 2's mentioned above.

MapBBCode: free maps for everyone 12 months ago

There's a standardisation opportunity which is constantly evading us here. It's always bothered me, ever since I wrote the two MediaWiki extensions years ago, and I've been meaning to come back to this. So MapBBCode has a new "map sharing" syntax, and it's also a map sharing service, or maybe the term should be something like "annotation services"? Recently we've seen umap come along, and also geojson.io They all do slightly different things, adopting different syntaxes. The other family of similar map sharing ideas comes from static map image services which we've had for a while. With some services the data needs to be put into a URL params. This is even possible on the OpenStreetMap.org front page (marker and box parameters) but as with the syntax approaches… no real standardisation yet it would seem.

Smart Source Media Group 12 months ago

SPAM

Paddington mapping. Holborn pub tonight 12 months ago

Well I was going to name them after the streets "Team St Michael's" and "Team Star", but that made yours sound better.

pre-SOTM drinks + Victoria + Cheshire cheese about 1 year ago

It is good. It's a shame Kate and Heather had left the room when he got his camera out. Should've taken a few snaps myself, but you can see how well my iPhone does when it decides to flash in pub (middle photo)

Schools: are they areas or points? about 1 year ago

They should not be mapped as both a node and an area. See One feature, one OSM element mapping guidelines. So yes the correct thing to do would be to move all tags off the node onto the area, and delete the node.

I hunted down this for you. In iD you can apparently select the area and the point, then use the "Merge" (+) operation

In JOSM the Paste Tags action lets you do it. In Potlatch I think you can copy tags from the last selection.

What's the best iOS App for contributing to OpenStreetMap? about 1 year ago

Happily things have moved on a bit since a couple of years ago when you were asking this. There's now 'Go Map!!' and 'Pushpin OSM' apps which are pretty good mobile editors for iOS.

I've just been updating this question: How can I edit OSM with my iPhone?.

I thought I might be able to edit or update or comment upon that old slashgeo page, but I don't seem to be able to.

Homage to My Alma Matter about 1 year ago

Great work.

Maybe you could look at getting the map used by the university somehow. This map of Cambridge university is the best example of a university doing that: http://map.cam.ac.uk

Trouble is google maps of CSU seems to have a lot of indoor floorplan data, presumably supplied by the university. So I guess we won't be persuading the university to switch2osm any time soon on their main http://maps.colostate.edu display. We clearly have better data on the gardens and trees of the campus now :-)

Interest in Editing over 1 year ago

Welcome indeed! I haven't played much with google map maker myself, but I've heard a few people finding the experience less satisfying.

Despite that, google with their broad reach have persuading more and more people to volunteer towards furthering their corporate interests, contributing to their closed data system. A fundamental difference, but a tricky thing to explain sometimes.

The Marble Arch Mapping Party over 1 year ago

The music is Look Beyond The Horizon - By Platinum Sky (CC-BY-SA!)

Marble Arch Tomorrow. Paper on OSMLondon events and new-comer retention over 1 year ago

Awesome Wille. Looking forward to having you join us. You'll miss the event tomorrow night, but we'll certainly do another event (probably a pub meet-up) in the time while you're here in London. We'll put out the details on the same wiki page and on @OSMLondon.

What to do with general "notes" ? over 1 year ago

This is an interesting question, but I don't understand why you've chosen to use the diary feature to ask it. Why not put it on http://help.openstreetmap.org ?