Harry Wood has commented on the following diary entries

Should we teach JOSM to first-time mapathon attendees? 12 months ago

We actually used to introduce people to JOSM from the get-go a lot more than we do now. Certainly at humanitarian events I've organised before Missing Maps started. In fact there was one back in 2010 where I had no choice, because we needed WMS-supplied imagery. And on that occasion it was bit of a nightmare. Thankfully things have moved on a lot since those days (most of the JOSM UI issues I mentioned there have been fixed since, and we're better at finding ways of not using WMS imagery) Even at the first few Missing Maps events, we followed the approach of presenting the choice, but then demoing the install of JOSM, or asking people to come with JOSM installed.

Why did we move to a more iD-ish approach? I think we used to have a very high proportion of absolute beginners, and some early experiences of mapathons, put us off JOSM a bit. It felt very chaotic as >50 people started downloading JOSM for the first time (the download itself can immediately create an internet bandwidth issue for a start) and then asking questions about how to install on different operating systems and versions of java!

But yeah I've always said, new users are actually better off going straight to JOSM, for a better more fluid editing experience. BUT.... certain types of new users will find it easier. As Pete says, "people who deal with any / many types of software professionally", which is probably at least 50% of the new folks coming to these events actually. So the thing is, depending on this proportion, and the number of experienced people you have on hand to help... getting lots of beginners started on iD can be a lot easier for event organisers. With iD you can write out instructions which will work for everyone, and these will fit on one piece of paper.

Via Monte Napoleone 12 months ago

I like it! In fact I've just made it OpenStreetMap "image of the week" this week! http://wiki.osm.org

I get why so many people just don't bother to even try to vote for the OSMF when things like this happen 12 months ago

Yeah. You do need to vote before the (very clearly stated) voting deadline. Sorry :-(

OpenStreetMap and Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team Together about 1 year ago

It's long been observed that different people get different things out of OpenStreetMap, and have different ways of expressing their motivations. Of course some of us are intent on using OpenStreetMap just for a for a sat-nav application in Los Angeles, while others are using OpenStreetMap just for an immunisation programme in Lubumbashi. You say "OSM is about the process of collecting data and sharing knowledge". But knowledge of what? In what form? Perhaps a good way of describing it would be... it's knowledge in the form a "free and open licensed map of the world" :-)

I agree though, that it would be wrong to say we are only succeeding in our goals if we are managing to map the whole world. Wide coverage, reaching into every corner of the globe isn't necessarily the primary focus of the project. On an individual level we encourage people to focus on mapping their neighbourhood. On a project level, achieving wide coverage... I would say it is an important success metric (and one we are succeeding at!) but yeah... not the only success metric.

Certainly we are building a "free and open map of the world" if we only take it to mean the OpenStreetMap system of edibility, data representation, and community building can work the same worldwide.

Unknown Pleasures (of humanitarian mapping) about 1 year ago

It's "image of the week this" week! http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page

Wanted: Simple amenity describer and foursquare style Q&A process about 1 year ago

The Kort game http://play.kort.ch is designed to be asking various simple questions. Maybe it could do with some more interesting questions related restaurants and pubs (making it more foursquare-like) For me it's just asking relatively uninteresting questions about name language settings on things and names of service roads, so some questions about extra POI tagging might liven it up a bit.

Of course WheelMap http://wheelmap.org/en/ is everybody's favourite example of an nice narrow focussed tagging app. Essentially it's asking one question... "how's the wheelchair access?".

Likewise coffeedex https://www.mapbox.com/blog/coffeedex/ just asking "how much does coffee cost?"

onosm http://onosm.org is for adding new things to OpenStreetMap, so not really the foursquare-like thing you're describing, but a simple tool with a constrained set of fields.

The Flash Map Mob about 1 year ago

It's like a mapping party but with restrictions on how you input the data.

Quite an interesting idea though. One nice thing about everyone putting their data in as they walk around, is that you'll get very rich meta-data about how the mapping party happened (timestamped edits corresponding to when the person was actually there) I imagine Derick's mapping party videos might look different. Otherwise his videos like this one: https://vimeo.com/43242833 have distinct before, during, and after phases, and the 'after' phase has to last several weeks to give everyone chance to get around to inputting their data.

In general I guess it's better as a short satisfying feedback loop for newbies to see their data and everyone else's appearing all at once on the day. Trouble is, I would find it dissatisfying poking my smartphone to type in tags when I could be surveying three times the area with my normal techniques (which leave more work to do later)

Update JOSM to fix the Java Logjam over 1 year ago

The servers were patched on Sunday evening with a change which means java6 applications won't be able to make SSL connections. Maybe you were using an old JOSM v7000 on java 6? Quite a few mac users ended up on this old version because upgrading from java6->java7 can be a bit of a pain on certain versions of mac. See mac install notes.

When I read this, I was worried we'd hit quite a few problems at our next mapathon event, getting people up and running with JOSM, because we have encountered quite a few mac users who can get up and running easily on JOSM v7000.

However I believe this issue should only be a problem if you also set JOSM to connect over https rather than http on the API connection URL settings.

Obviously using all these old versions and http is not desirable, so I'd like that wiki page to offer more advice on how to upgrade your java version, however it is a different process on various (old) versions of MacOS. Some versions might be a simple click-through to upgrade... but other versions have java 6 welded in place. Basically between oracle and apple they've conspired to make the whole thing a massive pain in the ass ...with a nice bit of ask.com toolbar sprinkled on top for good measure.

Police Scotland over 1 year ago

It is!

Connecting Communities With Improved OpenStreetMap Credits on Mapbox Maps over 1 year ago

In your final links "Collapsed (small) http://bl.ocks.org/lxbarth/9921260 " I don't know if this gist has been changed since you wrote the diary entry, but it's back to showing all one link for the text "© OpenStreetMap © Mapbox", and no direct link to OpenStreetMap.

On tiles.mapbox.com/v4 these improvements have either not yet been rolled out, or you're not rolling them out there for some reason. Pages like this for example I know these are sometimes presented in an iFrame, and perhaps not intended as shareable URLs, but in any case, is the OpenStreetMap credit approach just not been updated there yet?

In general I've seen quite a lot of different inconsistent approaches to giving OpenStreetMap credit, even on Mapbox's own blog. e.g. Blog posts with images/screencasts like yesterday you'll tend to not bother linking OpenStreetMap at all. But here we're talking about embedded maps. There's been quite a few of these on the mapbox blog over the years. Some use your 'mapbox examples' site e.g. this one which has credit without links. here's one with the all-one-link style. Would be good to see these linking OpenStreetMap directly as you've described in this diary entry.

It's not because you have accurate data that you have to upload all of them in OSM over 1 year ago

Interesting discussion. We have some brief guidelines on simplifying for imports, but this is mostly for larger scale imports. We've had problems with unsimplified shapefile imports where tremendous number of nodes were plonked in, despite relative inaccuracy of the data. In this case it clearly is very accurate survey-based data. In any case though, to put "too much" data in, is to screw up the data for anyone making normal use/normal edits. But how much is too much.

If we were to run an analysis of the golf bunkers worldwide, look at the nodes-per-metre, draw a histogram of that. I wonder what detail level mappers typically go up to. It's the kind of thing people do map in quite a lot of detail. And they're always curvy shapes of course. I guess finding a "high end" 90th percentile value from the existing database would have been a good way to decide on what to simplify this data down to (too late now, but could be fun thing to calculate)

I suppose the principle I'm suggesting here, is that we should encourage a detail level which is high, but not so high that other dedicated mappers are not attaining the same level elsewhere in the world using normal OpenStreetMap contributing techniques.

Who are the Missing Mappers? almost 2 years ago

Well it's a different situation between London, Ireland (Dublin?), and Edinburgh, so difficult to draw parallels. Some good ideas, but the fact of the matter is a) We hardly need to do better promotion for the Missing Maps events. We're filling the venues every time. b) I would love to get more people coming to the pub. I think I do ok at blasting out the information on quite a few channels, but they happen every two weeks, so it's quite a lot of work for me personally. I think the main factor with the pubs is as you say "walking into a crowd who know each other well...thats intimidating". It's a format which works well for the existing crowd, and maybe this isn't a huge problem, but it just seems like bit of a missed opportunity, that we don't get many people from missing maps (or other groups) joining the fun at our regular OSM pub meet-ups.

Of course there are other types of events we could be running. Closest thing to this is a "hack weekend", which involves a line of desks and wifi yes. One of those coming up in the next few months hopefully. These have been a bit of an "in crowd" in the past too, so maybe I'll try some more outreach ideas for that. Lots of ideas documented here too: Mapping Weekend Howto

OSM POI age of different cities around the world almost 2 years ago

OK I but I was going to link to this diary entry. You should fix the images there if you can. e.g. stick them on flickr

OSM POI age of different cities around the world almost 2 years ago

We were discussing this as a potential "image of the week". But the image host doesn't seem to be very reliable. Most of the images are offline now. Still got them all?

Who are the Missing Mappers? almost 2 years ago

I keep meaning to do some diary entry write-ups of what's been happening with missing maps in London. It's pretty exciting. With me helping organise them, as well as organising the pub meet-ups, there's no lack of social-media crossover. I'm keen to get people going to both.

....but so far there's a particular funny crowd of people who always go to the pub. Quite a few of them are not interested in humanitarian mapping for whatever reason. Meanwhile Red Cross / MSF folks who help run missing maps events, and the fresh new mappers who come along to Missing Maps, they should totally come along to OSM pub meet-ups too, but for some reason it's not appealing to them.

But yeah it's shame if nobody even thinks to tell the existing OSM community (via a suitable channel) when these events are run. We must try to make sure that always happens somehow.

Learn-a-tag: highway=escape almost 2 years ago

We have 170 of them mapped at the moment. Not bad

OSM POI age of different cities around the world almost 2 years ago

This is great. Good to visualise and focus on POI mapping. It's the kind of mapping I do most these days. I love the London map. I can see some of my hard work as a streak of white running up through islington (Holloway Road)... yay! that's me!

London Missing Maps Mapathon December almost 2 years ago

Nice one Nick. Just been posting my photos from this event to facebook, plus some on flickr. The antlers and hats did kick ass! flickr

Baker St Mapping evening + Artillery Arms Tonight about 2 years ago

Chris Sheldrick from what3words actually read this diary entry and then chatted with me in the pub about it at the following geomob. We sort of agreed to disagree. He understands the desire for openness, but obviously he's trying to make a business.

On an open versus closed debate, I'm fully able to comprehend the closed money-making side of the argument, but the trouble is with something like this, it is "standards defining". It's not just a business idea for a new social network or something. The name of the game is to persuade many many people adopt the scheme as a way of locating stuff. So my point is... I would persuade people to adopt an open scheme. One which is not going to go pair-shaped (along with its closed copyright-protected database) when the company goes pair-shaped.

I chatted about that longevity aspect of things in the pub, and he acknowledged this concern. He said he could look into writing a kind of get-out clause which opens everything if the what3words company goes under. I'd certainly welcome that, but I supposed another problem is that "goes pair-shaped" does not necessarily many "goes under". What3words might go into a sort semi-liquidation state, where the opportunity is no longer exciting, so they sell out and start to introduce new charges / advertising to bleed it dry. Not a hypothetical scenario. This kind of thing happens a lot.

One thing I guess I should concede. I confidently said there are many addressing schemes to choose from, including many open ones... I'm not sure where there's a good list of such ideas. It's a shame nobody seems to have prior art on the idea the idea of words mapping to a geohash (would love to hear if somebody does). The idea does seem pretty obvious to me, but maybe only after it has been stated :-)

Current map thinking over 2 years ago

Ah you see, once you start thinking about maps... everything is map related! :-)

Tom Chance has had a longstanding interesting trees in OpenStreetMap (particularly in Southwark) . Also SK53 is always keen to map a tree species. And I was trying to add some interesting trees to the map while I was working on the "tree routes" iPhone app recently.

Good to hear you're keeping up the HOT mapping between HOT meet-ups. I need to go on a task square rampage some time soon myself.

The next [OSMLondon](http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/London0 meet-up is this Thursday evening if you fancy it. Just a pub this time.