Harry Wood has commented on the following diary entries

It's not because you have accurate data that you have to upload all of them in OSM 18 days ago

Interesting discussion. We have some brief guidelines on simplifying for imports, but this is mostly for larger scale imports. We've had problems with unsimplified shapefile imports where tremendous number of nodes were plonked in, despite relative inaccuracy of the data. In this case it clearly is very accurate survey-based data. In any case though, to put "too much" data in, is to screw up the data for anyone making normal use/normal edits. But how much is too much.

If we were to run an analysis of the golf bunkers worldwide, look at the nodes-per-metre, draw a histogram of that. I wonder what detail level mappers typically go up to. It's the kind of thing people do map in quite a lot of detail. And they're always curvy shapes of course. I guess finding a "high end" 90th percentile value from the existing database would have been a good way to decide on what to simplify this data down to (too late now, but could be fun thing to calculate)

I suppose the principle I'm suggesting here, is that we should encourage a detail level which is high, but not so high that other dedicated mappers are not attaining the same level elsewhere in the world using normal OpenStreetMap contributing techniques.

Who are the Missing Mappers? 29 days ago

Well it's a different situation between London, Ireland (Dublin?), and Edinburgh, so difficult to draw parallels. Some good ideas, but the fact of the matter is a) We hardly need to do better promotion for the Missing Maps events. We're filling the venues every time. b) I would love to get more people coming to the pub. I think I do ok at blasting out the information on quite a few channels, but they happen every two weeks, so it's quite a lot of work for me personally. I think the main factor with the pubs is as you say "walking into a crowd who know each other well...thats intimidating". It's a format which works well for the existing crowd, and maybe this isn't a huge problem, but it just seems like bit of a missed opportunity, that we don't get many people from missing maps (or other groups) joining the fun at our regular OSM pub meet-ups.

Of course there are other types of events we could be running. Closest thing to this is a "hack weekend", which involves a line of desks and wifi yes. One of those coming up in the next few months hopefully. These have been a bit of an "in crowd" in the past too, so maybe I'll try some more outreach ideas for that. Lots of ideas documented here too: Mapping Weekend Howto

OSM POI age of different cities around the world about 1 month ago

OK I but I was going to link to this diary entry. You should fix the images there if you can. e.g. stick them on flickr

OSM POI age of different cities around the world about 1 month ago

We were discussing this as a potential "image of the week". But the image host doesn't seem to be very reliable. Most of the images are offline now. Still got them all?

Who are the Missing Mappers? about 2 months ago

I keep meaning to do some diary entry write-ups of what's been happening with missing maps in London. It's pretty exciting. With me helping organise them, as well as organising the pub meet-ups, there's no lack of social-media crossover. I'm keen to get people going to both.

....but so far there's a particular funny crowd of people who always go to the pub. Quite a few of them are not interested in humanitarian mapping for whatever reason. Meanwhile Red Cross / MSF folks who help run missing maps events, and the fresh new mappers who come along to Missing Maps, they should totally come along to OSM pub meet-ups too, but for some reason it's not appealing to them.

But yeah it's shame if nobody even thinks to tell the existing OSM community (via a suitable channel) when these events are run. We must try to make sure that always happens somehow.

Learn-a-tag: highway=escape 3 months ago

We have 170 of them mapped at the moment. Not bad

OSM POI age of different cities around the world 3 months ago

This is great. Good to visualise and focus on POI mapping. It's the kind of mapping I do most these days. I love the London map. I can see some of my hard work as a streak of white running up through islington (Holloway Road)... yay! that's me!

London Missing Maps Mapathon December 3 months ago

Nice one Nick. Just been posting my photos from this event to facebook, plus some on flickr. The antlers and hats did kick ass! flickr

Baker St Mapping evening + Artillery Arms Tonight 4 months ago

Chris Sheldrick from what3words actually read this diary entry and then chatted with me in the pub about it at the following geomob. We sort of agreed to disagree. He understands the desire for openness, but obviously he's trying to make a business.

On an open versus closed debate, I'm fully able to comprehend the closed money-making side of the argument, but the trouble is with something like this, it is "standards defining". It's not just a business idea for a new social network or something. The name of the game is to persuade many many people adopt the scheme as a way of locating stuff. So my point is... I would persuade people to adopt an open scheme. One which is not going to go pair-shaped (along with its closed copyright-protected database) when the company goes pair-shaped.

I chatted about that longevity aspect of things in the pub, and he acknowledged this concern. He said he could look into writing a kind of get-out clause which opens everything if the what3words company goes under. I'd certainly welcome that, but I supposed another problem is that "goes pair-shaped" does not necessarily many "goes under". What3words might go into a sort semi-liquidation state, where the opportunity is no longer exciting, so they sell out and start to introduce new charges / advertising to bleed it dry. Not a hypothetical scenario. This kind of thing happens a lot.

One thing I guess I should concede. I confidently said there are many addressing schemes to choose from, including many open ones... I'm not sure where there's a good list of such ideas. It's a shame nobody seems to have prior art on the idea the idea of words mapping to a geohash (would love to hear if somebody does). The idea does seem pretty obvious to me, but maybe only after it has been stated :-)

Current map thinking 7 months ago

Ah you see, once you start thinking about maps... everything is map related! :-)

Tom Chance has had a longstanding interesting trees in OpenStreetMap (particularly in Southwark) . Also SK53 is always keen to map a tree species. And I was trying to add some interesting trees to the map while I was working on the "tree routes" iPhone app recently.

Good to hear you're keeping up the HOT mapping between HOT meet-ups. I need to go on a task square rampage some time soon myself.

The next [OSMLondon](http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/London0 meet-up is this Thursday evening if you fancy it. Just a pub this time.

OpenStreetMap birthday weekend (including wikimania etc) 7 months ago

@LollyMay Aha! Two people have seen it. Definitely not a dream then @seav You missed the cake! Two cakes in fact! I suppose it was a bit earlier in the evening we had those (hazy recollection) . Great to meet you!

Water in OpenStreetMap 7 months ago

Awesome! Correcting the direction of rivers is a nice easy thing for mappers to do

One thing I've pondered (and listed on my hack ideas list), is modelling hydrology worldwide in order to locate missing rivers. Starting with the biggest first. In some less well mapped parts of the world, you can easily look at OpenCycleMap contours (SRTM) and see that there is (most likely) a large river missing from OpenStreetMap. At time of writing there's an example here in the congo. Endless other examples in Africa, Siberia etc, and these are big rivers we're missing.

Computer Repair Service 7 months ago

SPAM

San Ysidro, CA, United States: Detail-Mapping the busiest land border crossing area in the world 7 months ago

SPAM Ignore the above comment. They're just spammers littering the web with pointless comments and links to their youtube video: https://www.google.com/#q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6AyhE6URmbY

New MapRoulette Challenge: Ways Needing Smoothing 8 months ago

Clicking through some of these today, it seems the majority of them are already fixed and already re-rendered as better smoother curves. Seems like this maproulette challenge needs a data refresh?

Hack Weekend at 10gen 9 months ago

Hopelessly late response, but for the sake of anyone else wondering... yes malenki, it's not set-up and described here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/That_Shouldnt_Be_Possible

R25 : un rendu topographique au 25000ème pour Maperitive. 9 months ago

Hi. Congrats on the winning 2nd place in the poster contest. We'd also like to use your poster or something similar as "Image of the week". Discussing that here We could just scale the poster image, but ideally we need a good image variation working at 400pixels wide and ~300px high. Maybe you have suggestions?

[sorry this is english. Maybe someone can translate my comment here]

Weekly OpenStreetMap Task 9 months ago

That sounds a lot like the old "Project of the week" http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Project_of_the_week

Street Level Photo Uploads? 10 months ago

This is a diary entry. A better place to ask questions is over at http://help.openstreetmap.org In fact there's a couple of questions on there already which may help: https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/1630/attaching-photos-to-nodes

...but it looks like mapillary needs adding as a new answer to those questions.

Baker St Mapping evening + Artillery Arms Tonight 10 months ago

Thanks for that Christian. Good information. Of course I should've just asked you about it really before posting guesswork on my diary entry, but as you may have noticed I tend to use my diary as place for blurting out what's on my mind :-) (plus I needed to get the post out ahead of the pub event last night)

So that's interesting. I was guessing you were drawing some salary/payment for all the good work you're doing. Seems like you're managing to get a lot done! Also lots of donations of servers and hosting. That's also interesting, and makes me think more about the idea that we would be able to attract similar donations e.g. from universities in the UK if we got organised (I mean for some sort of separate OSMUK thing above and beyond the support we already get for OSMF servers)

Good to know you wouldn't be opposed to the notion of OSM France helping the core OSMF funding. I had another big chat about this with Matt in the pub last night. He's not really in favour of structuring things like that, or didn't think would work. So yeah... just a vague idea from me really. Matt also reminded me the "Local Chapters Working Group" was supposed to be coming up with a plan for such things. Not sure how that's progressing though.