Glassman has commented on the following diary entries

Maps.Me loses OSM editing? 30 days ago

I just added a few businesses this week with no problem.

Virgo GIS about 1 month ago

+1 for @TomH's suggested reading. Join us on the Slack Import channel to discuss your import plans and get help.

Local Chapter Congress Notes from SotM 2016 2 months ago

@mmd My goal is enabling push notifications. If email oauth permission gives that capability then I'm in favor of seeing it implemented. If too many people opt out because they don't want to give their email address then oauth permissions may not be the right means to an end.

@RobJN comments express my thoughts on push notification. If this is the wrong PR, then we need to come up with a better PR.

mmd - apparently you wouldn't be in my target audience in anyway. It doesn't appear your user_name has edited in OSM.

Local Chapter Congress Notes from SotM 2016 2 months ago

Mikel, You seem to have two major threads in your diary entry. The first is Local Chapters and the Second is Communications. Not to belittle Local Chapters, but it's the communications aspect that interests me.

Push notifications is a dream for many of us. It's likely that only a small fraction occasional mappers belong to one or more of our current communications tools. Push notifications isn't going to solve our communications problem, but it will help, so long as we can prevent spam.

Two other communications avenues that need exploring is more press and conducting user surveys.

Local Chapters would ideally take the lead to get articles published. Currently most articles on OSM are connected with either Missing Maps or HOT. I've had new mappers sign up for humanitarian events that believe OSM isn't used for developed countries. Getting press isn't easy. I worked with a consultant for the 2016 SotM US trying to crack the barrier. I suspect we need to look at other approaches to find what interest the press.

Surveys could be used to help understand how people find OSM to help us in our "marketing" and learn their preferred method of communications.

Lastly, as someone who "borrowed" the Belgium welcome message and have been using it for the last couple of years - I agree that we need to do more to welcome new mappers.

Clifford

A Personal Message from Fatty2000 3 months ago

I got the exact same message which I ignored.

Protecting the map against Pokemon Go mappers 3 months ago

@pizzaiolo Wikipedia has the problem of scaring off new users by their over zealous "police." As a result, they have a real problem attracting and keeping new editors. We could find ourselves in a similar situation if we are not careful. It's a thin line that we have to follow.

Protecting the map against Pokemon Go mappers 3 months ago

Unfortunately very few of the pokemon edits announce their efforts in the changeset comment. It really takes looking at every changeset. Sad.

Bot idea: Fixing invalid capitalization of primary tags 4 months ago

@BushmanK - I haven't spent much time with Keepright - but I suspect you are probably correct. I thought of Maproulette because I recently fixed a number of buildings with self intersecting ways using Maproulette.

Clifford

Bot idea: Fixing invalid capitalization of primary tags 4 months ago

Another alternative might be Maproulette which means the edit gets a human to verify the object.

Introduction 4 months ago

Welcome to OSM. Summerland looks like a nice size town for one person to map. I live in a small town just north of Seattle. I've spent the last three years doing what you are doing, fixing street names, adding businesses, mapping sidewalks, adding parks and water features.

I would caution against using Google Streetview. Their terms of use preclude us from using it to derive data for OSM. Check out OpenStreetCam.](http://openstreetcam.org) - While no images of Summerland exist today, all you need is a smart phone, phone mount, and a car or bike to add your city.

Check with your provincial government for hydro maps. I'm not sure if BC offers them or if they are licensed for import into OSM, but they can help you with stream direction and connections.

Clifford

10 000th Changeset 4 months ago

Way to go!

Beginning the mapping of Phoenixville, PA 4 months ago

You might try OSMTracker for android, not sure if there is an iOS version. The app allows you to take pictures or short audio recordings which can be geolocated to the gps trace.

I just take pictures while walking, trying to keep them in order and making sure to get the address/unit number as well as the business name. Then I just use them for reference to add to OSM.

Good luck, Clifford

Validating Wikidata tags on OpenStreetMap 4 months ago

wikidata-osm is a nice visual tool but it's not suitable to fixing problems or even marking which problems have been fixed or marking ones as valid/invalid. That would save time by not having people look at a tag that someone else has already investigated. I would suggest using maproulette.

Maproulette could be used to mark the osm wikidata tag as valid - such as Unimak Island in Alaska. According to wikidata-osm the two nodes are both on the island but separated by a few kilometers. Or Sanak Island, also in Alaska. OSM has the node on the correct island while it looks like wikipedia has the node in the ocean.

By using Maproulette, nodes could be either marked valid, invalid or fixed. This way even Wikipedia could improved.

Easy Access to United States NAIP Imagery for JOSM 5 months ago

The Set WMS Bookmark would have worked but I was having a problem with chrome blocking 127.0.0.1 so I did the work around.

Easy Access to United States NAIP Imagery for JOSM 5 months ago

Found my problem. My browser was blocking 127.0.0.1.

To add the imagery permanently, I needed to go to the link for Washington 2015 1m https://gis.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/rest/services/NAIP/Washington_2015_1m/ImageServer select wms and copy the url found start after xlink:href=

Easy Access to United States NAIP Imagery for JOSM 5 months ago

My mine must be muddled. Can you give more info on adding to JOSM?

Engaging High School Geography professors with OpenStreetMap 5 months ago

Congratulations! I like how you gave time to so many tools.

Clifford Seattle, WA - Chinooks at Fisherman's Terminal

Pokemon Go trash 5 months ago

@forever2darkness - In the US we need more mappers in rural areas. Mostly we attract people in large cities, many with an active community. Our OSM meetup group has over 700 members. I'm real excited when I find an active mapper in rural Washington State.

One nice thing about mapping in rural America - you don't have fights over how something is mapped. You are the expert. So go fix any bad mapping you did early and go improve your town. Join us on talk-us mailing list or join the our Slack channel.

If you need help finding your old edits just let us know.

Clifford

Pokemon Go trash 5 months ago

I send out welcome messages to new users in Washington State. Even ones that added crap. I encourage them to add only what can be verified on the ground. Most of the edits are good faith attempts to add data. I've spent hours verifying parks against local database. It turns out that most are accurate. Maybe they don't match shapefiles from cities or county shapefiles but they do add in parks. I've also seen a surprising number of edits from these Pokemon users. Typical new users do one changeset. I've seen a number with over 10 edits. It turns out that most of the vandalism is easy to spot. Parks polygons over residential neighbors is real common. Trails that couldn't possibly be correct.

Do they have quality problems - yes. But mostly because they are not familiar with OSM. Abbreviated street name, paths/footways not connect to adj. streets, and untagged ways.

The last new person changed a street into a waterway. But interestingly he also correct the street name. Local knowledge is useful. I removed the waterway and removed the bogus footways he added. End result, we have better data.

I'm as frustrated as you with vandalism. But I think potentially we can gain some active contributors if we help them.

I'm well aware of the post on Reddit. See my comments on the OSMUS Slack Channel. I also know that the number of new users has increased significantly. In one day, I contacted as many new users as I used to in a month.

I've scheduled a meetup for our area for next weekend. One of the topics is editing for Pokemon.

Rather than fight Pokemon, we need to welcome them with encouragement to become active community participants.

Clifford

What's Wrong With Bing Maps? 5 months ago

Have you tried other aerial imagery such as Mapbox? Both are slow to load initially, but fast once the cache is built up.

You should be able to change your location under your account in "My Settings." be sure to save the change after you move your marker.

Best, Clifford