Glassman has commented on the following diary entries

Philippines Admin 4 Shapefile Data!!!!!!!! 3 days ago

What do you plan to do with all of these admin areas?

Milestone 8 days ago

Way to go. With your list of todo's, signage, buildings, addresses, don't forget sidewalks.

Mapping lake shore 18 days ago

Looks like it could use some refinement, but glad you added the lake.

"Welcome-to-new-mappers" program in the Netherlands comes to an end. 24 days ago

I've been sending welcome messages for sometime. Late last year I modified it after the Belgium communities welcome message and included all new mappers in Washington State. Prior to that it was focused on the Seattle area and the message was to invite them to join our Meetup group.

The response rate is around 7%. I haven't looked to see how many continue to map. My guess is that number is very low.

Your assessment of Maps.me is right on target. I usually don't bother even sending them a message nor a changeset comment for the less than stellar edits. I'm not blaming the person, but maps.me in the hands of a newbie is dangerous. I only hope as the app matures, it also improves. Check out Millions that Don't Care presented by Ilya Zverev, Mpas.me, at the 2016 SOTM-US conference. While I attended the conference, I didn't get to his talk.

I think a better approach than for each of us to send out welcome messages, would be to have a script that automatically sends a message to new uses based on their language and the location of their first edit.

Clifford

1 million buildings in LA, but what about the community? 25 days ago

Jon,

Only having the ability to contact one person at a time is very frustrating. We used a room full of volunteers to send message to target mappers to invite them to SOTM-US. We did get results, but it was way to time consuming.

We need the ability to: 1. Allow people to opt-in and out to receiving bulk messages. 2. Let people select interests that would allow bulk messages from others with similar interests 3. Be able to send to geographical areas 4. Send bulk message to people with similar interests. 5. Build in controls to prevent/limit spam messages like are seen on diary pages.

Keep up the great import work.

Clifford

Cities by only buildings 29 days ago

Jon, Sorry I missed your talk. Can't wait to see the video.

The Latest LA data looks very rich. Do you have a breakdown of building=*?

Clifford

A look into a sample of edits from MAPS.ME contributors about 1 month ago

New users not responding to changeset comments is pretty common, not just MAPS.ME users. I did have one recently respond. They were attempting to add a waterfall. Unfortunately MAPS.ME doesn't have waterfall tags, so it was tagged as an attraction, and not as a node on the waterway.

They did respond, but never took the suggestion of using iD to fix their edit.

Which brings up the issue of tracking of open changeset comments. Would be nice if there were and easy way see changesets with discussions.

Getting to know Openstreetmap 2 months ago

You might want to look on the wiki for how to tag trees.

Notes from OSM-Colorado Saturday Mapternoon May 28, 2016 3 months ago

Sounds like a very productive meetup. Can not wait to hear more about Denver Regional Council of Government plans to import the data.

Creating accurate maps 3 months ago

Mike, Not sure why you got negative responses when asking about OSM and Mapbox products. As you know there areas in OSM that need attention, especially in rural US. Then again, my 2015 Subaru's navigation system is way worse than any OSM map up and down I5 in Washington. My experiences traveling in Costa Rica using OSM data were far better than using Google maps.

There is a Maptime in Eugene. Great place to talk about improving OSM and learning about open source GIS development.\

Carei ... done ! 3 months ago

Nice!

GSoC Diary 1 3 months ago

Can you post a link to your college campus?

Also - did you see the recent thread on the HOT mailing list asking for people to send in their suggested improvements to iD?

Thanks for working on iD. It has come a long way.

Clifford

Hadjer Lamis, Chad - Tracing guide (villages and buildings) 3 months ago

Thanks for posting the images. It should be helpful to Missing Maps Mapathons when instructing new mappers.

Have you considered proposing a landuse=compound on the tagging list? The number of compounds would probably be too small for the standard layer. You might be able to convince HOT to add the landuse=compound to the Humanitarian layer.

City Heights, Mapperley Top 3 months ago

I created a business card with my name and "title" Volunteer Contributor to hand out. It not only gives them a way to contact me, is a form (poor) of id, and has information about OSM.

I did run into one site manager that brushed me off with "I'm too busy..." So I left, after taking a picture of the site map. Mostly I run into interested and grateful people, especially business owners who like the thought that their establishment is being added to a map, even if it's one they've never heard of.

You comment The boss administrator turned out to be quite short, which is often a warning sign. left me disappointed.

New York Long Path 4 months ago

Have you checked for Strava gpx points? If it is an active trail, it is likely someone used the Strava app.

Mapping exit numbers on US motorways 4 months ago

Thanks for adding the ref numbers but I'm curious about the noref=yes. Is noref documented in the wiki?

Progress: Campus Indoor Mapping Project 5 months ago

You could use ogr2osm to create a .osm file that can be opened in JOSM as another layer. Then trace that layer into OSM. Let me know if you need help with org2osm and JOSM. I'm happy to assist.

Good luck with the project. There are so many uses for the information especially finding classes! I did a mapathon on a campus in that I wasn't familiar with and it took me forever to find the room.

MAPS.ME is now an editor 5 months ago

I do believe this will be my go to editor when I'm out with just my phone. Simple and easy to use. Now when we have a mapping party, we can suggest Maps.Me along with GoMap!!

One big suggestion would be to include the ability to search for tags much like iD and GoMap!!

As you update the type list, be sure to include restrooms aka toilets to the list. It was one of the features I tried to add today. New public toilets in Mount Vernon, WA.

MAPS.ME is now an editor 5 months ago

I'm headed out to give it a try.

Wolgan River and Capertee Valley Canyon 5 months ago

I see someone did a fix on Woolemi National Park seven hours ago. Because of the size, it may take a while before it renders.