Glassman has commented on the following diary entries

Imports 3 days ago

Sorry you discovered our convoluted import process in this manner. As [maxerickson](https://osm.org/user:maxerickson} noted, the process is designed to improve the quality of imports and to insure that the data being imported is compatible with the ODbL license. The process at times helps the quality of the import by improving the tags, reducing nodes, improving the geometry and as point out, adds suggested data like addresses, that can also be imported.

I would encourage you to join the [OSM US]{https://osmus-slack.herokuapp.com/) Slack import channel. We can help you through the steps next time you want to import.

FYI - You could have opened up the building shapefile as a layer in JOSM and just copied in the data. More work, but not an import. Licensing is still and issue.

Clifford

Upcoming research on participation biases in OSM about 1 month ago

Not identifying yourself to us is troubling. All we have is your user name. Please identify yourself so we can learn more about you. Tell us about what some of the other research projects you may have been involved with.

Thanks, Clifford

A new roundabout about 1 month ago

I'm waiting for the one in my neighborhood to complete. Looks like another week before they start on the center island. With the four corners done, once they start on the island, I'll try to get it added.

Maps.Me loses OSM editing? 3 months ago

I just added a few businesses this week with no problem.

Virgo GIS 3 months ago

+1 for @TomH's suggested reading. Join us on the Slack Import channel to discuss your import plans and get help.

Local Chapter Congress Notes from SotM 2016 4 months ago

@mmd My goal is enabling push notifications. If email oauth permission gives that capability then I'm in favor of seeing it implemented. If too many people opt out because they don't want to give their email address then oauth permissions may not be the right means to an end.

@RobJN comments express my thoughts on push notification. If this is the wrong PR, then we need to come up with a better PR.

mmd - apparently you wouldn't be in my target audience in anyway. It doesn't appear your user_name has edited in OSM.

Local Chapter Congress Notes from SotM 2016 4 months ago

Mikel, You seem to have two major threads in your diary entry. The first is Local Chapters and the Second is Communications. Not to belittle Local Chapters, but it's the communications aspect that interests me.

Push notifications is a dream for many of us. It's likely that only a small fraction occasional mappers belong to one or more of our current communications tools. Push notifications isn't going to solve our communications problem, but it will help, so long as we can prevent spam.

Two other communications avenues that need exploring is more press and conducting user surveys.

Local Chapters would ideally take the lead to get articles published. Currently most articles on OSM are connected with either Missing Maps or HOT. I've had new mappers sign up for humanitarian events that believe OSM isn't used for developed countries. Getting press isn't easy. I worked with a consultant for the 2016 SotM US trying to crack the barrier. I suspect we need to look at other approaches to find what interest the press.

Surveys could be used to help understand how people find OSM to help us in our "marketing" and learn their preferred method of communications.

Lastly, as someone who "borrowed" the Belgium welcome message and have been using it for the last couple of years - I agree that we need to do more to welcome new mappers.

Clifford

A Personal Message from Fatty2000 5 months ago

I got the exact same message which I ignored.

Protecting the map against Pokemon Go mappers 5 months ago

@pizzaiolo Wikipedia has the problem of scaring off new users by their over zealous "police." As a result, they have a real problem attracting and keeping new editors. We could find ourselves in a similar situation if we are not careful. It's a thin line that we have to follow.

Protecting the map against Pokemon Go mappers 5 months ago

Unfortunately very few of the pokemon edits announce their efforts in the changeset comment. It really takes looking at every changeset. Sad.

Bot idea: Fixing invalid capitalization of primary tags 5 months ago

@BushmanK - I haven't spent much time with Keepright - but I suspect you are probably correct. I thought of Maproulette because I recently fixed a number of buildings with self intersecting ways using Maproulette.

Clifford

Bot idea: Fixing invalid capitalization of primary tags 6 months ago

Another alternative might be Maproulette which means the edit gets a human to verify the object.

Introduction 6 months ago

Welcome to OSM. Summerland looks like a nice size town for one person to map. I live in a small town just north of Seattle. I've spent the last three years doing what you are doing, fixing street names, adding businesses, mapping sidewalks, adding parks and water features.

I would caution against using Google Streetview. Their terms of use preclude us from using it to derive data for OSM. Check out OpenStreetCam.](http://openstreetcam.org) - While no images of Summerland exist today, all you need is a smart phone, phone mount, and a car or bike to add your city.

Check with your provincial government for hydro maps. I'm not sure if BC offers them or if they are licensed for import into OSM, but they can help you with stream direction and connections.

Clifford

10 000th Changeset 6 months ago

Way to go!

Beginning the mapping of Phoenixville, PA 6 months ago

You might try OSMTracker for android, not sure if there is an iOS version. The app allows you to take pictures or short audio recordings which can be geolocated to the gps trace.

I just take pictures while walking, trying to keep them in order and making sure to get the address/unit number as well as the business name. Then I just use them for reference to add to OSM.

Good luck, Clifford

Validating Wikidata tags on OpenStreetMap 6 months ago

wikidata-osm is a nice visual tool but it's not suitable to fixing problems or even marking which problems have been fixed or marking ones as valid/invalid. That would save time by not having people look at a tag that someone else has already investigated. I would suggest using maproulette.

Maproulette could be used to mark the osm wikidata tag as valid - such as Unimak Island in Alaska. According to wikidata-osm the two nodes are both on the island but separated by a few kilometers. Or Sanak Island, also in Alaska. OSM has the node on the correct island while it looks like wikipedia has the node in the ocean.

By using Maproulette, nodes could be either marked valid, invalid or fixed. This way even Wikipedia could improved.

Easy Access to United States NAIP Imagery for JOSM 6 months ago

The Set WMS Bookmark would have worked but I was having a problem with chrome blocking 127.0.0.1 so I did the work around.

Easy Access to United States NAIP Imagery for JOSM 6 months ago

Found my problem. My browser was blocking 127.0.0.1.

To add the imagery permanently, I needed to go to the link for Washington 2015 1m https://gis.apfo.usda.gov/arcgis/rest/services/NAIP/Washington_2015_1m/ImageServer select wms and copy the url found start after xlink:href=

Easy Access to United States NAIP Imagery for JOSM 6 months ago

My mine must be muddled. Can you give more info on adding to JOSM?

Engaging High School Geography professors with OpenStreetMap 7 months ago

Congratulations! I like how you gave time to so many tools.

Clifford Seattle, WA - Chinooks at Fisherman's Terminal