DaCor has commented on the following diary entries

Excited to Say, I am a Presidential Innovation Fellow 2 days ago

Congrats MIkel, well deserved

25000000 16 days ago

At that rate of growth, I'd wager Feb 2015 or Mar 2015 at the latest

The Notes feature, please read first before making a note about 1 month ago

"Notes" by their very definition are informal things so applying rules around them would possibly lead to less usage

Also, I don't see any issue in non-user created notes, for example see @osmthis twitter account. Tweet a geotagged photo to that account and it creates a note with a link to the photo

However, I do agree there are a lot of useless notes out there.

10th Anniversary Name Fix Challenge about 1 month ago

Found something I havent seen before. the following tags applied to roads

source=Eric Jarvies. All rights reserved. ©2010 (eric@csl.com.mx or http://csl.com.mx) added_by=Eric Jarvies(eric@csl.com.mx)

dry streams about 1 month ago

Just to make you aware, intermittent=yes is the accepted way for tagging these.

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Intermittent

There are over 724,000 instances of intermittent=yes with several hundred thousand occurrences of water/streams tagged as such, see http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=intermittent#values

This is versus 561 results for intermittent=dry, 560 of which are assigned to streams in New Mexico by yourself and weirdly form a single straight line, see http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/4uc

It is up to you, but in your shoes, I would be tagging as intermittent=yes as this is the standard accepted way of tagging for this type of feature

Upcoming Vespucci 0.9.5 release about 1 month ago

Holy crap

• Fast address tags adding with house number prediction

definitely going to give this a whirl

Smartphone mounts about 2 months ago

I love the simplicity of it

You images in the car as clear. Any I've tried with Mapillary have been blurred and useless. Were you driving slowly or is there a phone setting you used?

Articles about OpenStreetMap about 2 months ago

Nice work!

Data that I capture with my phone 3 months ago

Check out OSMTracker also on Android, I often use it when driving

street name 3 months ago

Are you saying the map you see on OSM is correct but an app you are using is not showing the same info?

If so, you should be able to update the map in whatever app you are using

Третья пензенская картовечеринка 4 months ago

Nice work!

@OsmThis: Twitter to OSM 4 months ago

This is excellent!

What kind of user/challenge stats do MapRoulette users want? 5 months ago

I think the various tools Pascal Neis and others have produced over the years should answer your question.....Openstreetmap users love stats, give us more than we know what to do with :)

How do you map house numbers efficiently? 5 months ago

I forgot to add, the beauty of OSMpad is the way is works, you have a set of cross hairs, you move your slippy map around to position the cross hairs where you want to add the address data, then simply add your house number.

This ensures you place the data accurately

How do you map house numbers efficiently? 5 months ago

I do a similar process, but with a different app, OSMpad. Its designed for one thing only, to collect house numbers only so you don't have all the bells and whistles of Keypadmapper and Vespucci, both of which are still awesome app's in their own right.

How I gather data, I firstly map buildings from imagery, then go survey on foot, bike or car.

There have been afternoon's when I've collected close to 1,000 addresses.

I go down a street, mark the first house numbers on each side of the road, visually count down the row of houses, and work out what the last house numbers should be, drive down to the end of the street, if my estimation matches with the actual house numbers, I added the last #'s in the row.

Once finished, I email the completed traces through OSMpad to myself, open them up in Josm and begin adding everything I've collected, and fill in the gaps where I only gathered the first and last #'s.

One piece of advice, from someone who has collected thousands of addresses. When you are collecting, email the traces to yourself every 100 houses or so. Don't let your trace get too big otherwise you'll be cursing yourself when you go to add the data in JOSM, there will simply be too much fine detail to be added over too large an area. Keep the traces small and lean, that way you can quite easily sit down in one go and add 100 addresses quite comfortably.

Doing it that way, you will be surprised at how quickly you can collect and add address data for very large areas.

Fingal and Lesotho 6 months ago

Hi Big C, I went to create the task manager job for Mohlakeng tonight, but ther wikipedia link you posted, when I look at the imagery I only see a tiny village, about 30-40 houses.

The wikipedia page leads me to believe that Mohlakeng is a large area that encompasses many villages akin to an Irish parish

Can you clarify if thats the case. If it is, its no big deal. I can add many groups of tasks within a single one

new useful proposal 6 months ago

Nice work

Added my comments to the discussion

Fingal and Lesotho 6 months ago

From me :)

Using HOT's Task manager, a few days ago i set up the first task to be done, Maseru City and suburbs, or rather the first part of it (its a big city). If you are interested in assisting with this effort, please take a task at here. The main items to be mapped are buildings & highways (tracks, walkways etc)

This weekend, I will set up the additional tasks for the other areas listed above and post a separate diary entry on those. I have held back from sending out a general call for assistance due to the Ebola mapping effort going on at the moment.

I've also started putting together the beginnings of information on the Lesotho wiki page available here

My Experience, Accuracy 6 months ago

That should say Josm, damn auto-correct

My Experience, Accuracy 6 months ago

You SFSU folks should take a look at some of the existing apps available for doing OSM surveys

On Android there's OSMTracker, KeypadMapper, OSMTracker, Vespucci etc

For ios there is PushPin and others

Using these can really speed up your data gathering with the added benefit of data going directly into OSM (PushPin & Vespucci) or allowing you to load your gathered data directly into Jose (OSMTracker & OSMpad)

Btw, I'm loving the work you folks are doing, the campus is looking better by the day