DaCor has commented on the following diary entries

Karnataka 01/2007 to 12/2014: OSM Map Evolution 31 minutes ago

You've done good work and the gif shows the progress in the area quite nicely

Second Attempt at OSM 10 days ago

Your edits are most welcome :)

If you need any assistance, the OSM help site is very useful

OSM Seminar in the heart of Africa 11 days ago

Nice work

map styles: Default OSM vs Google Maps 12 days ago

The mapstyle becomes almost unreadable when you look at areas with smaller buildings and higher densities e.g. http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/#15/-29.3249/27.5103&num=2&mt0=mapnik&mt1=google-map

As ppawel stated, anything you do to improve the situation will be considered a success.

A poor main mapstyle reflects poorly on the project as a whole and I welcome your involvement to implement improvements.

Top OSM Rank: Who are these crazy, amazing people? 16 days ago

ah yeah, been busy lately,

Top OSM Rank: Who are these crazy, amazing people? 16 days ago

aww, thought I would have made the list at #379, dang must be just outside the rankings

30000000 about 1 month ago

ohh so close!

Gauntlet thrown so. Next predicition is 2nd Nov 2015

Editing of Zambia and Botswana completed about 2 months ago

hi Jan, did you happen to take many geotagged photos on your travels? If so, it would be great if you could upload them to mapillary

Also, out of curiosity, how long did the journey take you?

Broadening the Base and Sharing the Enthusiasm about 2 months ago

Wow, thats fantastic, I look forward to reading whatever links you put up. I'd be interested to get their perspective on the various activities

Edits Tanzania completed about 2 months ago

Jan, this must have been an epic journey

Proposed talk at both SOTUM and HOTOSM conferences!! about 2 months ago

I'd map a field of corn, I'd map a minefield. There's no difference in terms of mapping

OsmAnd (Android) und Abbiegespuren 2 months ago

Hi atrus70

I understand your point, I was referring to the JOSM plugins which allow you to easily create relations for turnlanes (lane connector & turn lanes plugins) both of which are set for driving on the right only.

When I try to use them, any changes I try to make, happen to the opposite side of the road

Hedaja,

Thanks, those are useful

OsmAnd (Android) und Abbiegespuren 2 months ago

I wanted to add turn lanes but I could find no option to configure the turn lanes or lane connector plugins for driving on the left.

Does anybody know if there is some option that I missed that would allow me to use those plugins for Ireland and other countries in the same boat

Mobilisation around Critical Tasks 2 months ago

I saw you tweet about this one, it was done in no time, nice work

OSM-IQ 1.4.x supports the export to GeoJSON 2 months ago

ohh nice!

Who are the Missing Mappers? 3 months ago

Something I forgot to mention, having it on a Saturday and making it 6 hours means people are more likely to make an effort to travel that bit further to attend

This likely isn't an issue in larger cities, but if you want to include those from outside the cities then it really helps

2 years of overpass turbo 3 months ago

I know I personally hadnt a clue what overpass was until the wizard came along

It really has made a huge difference

Who are the Missing Mappers? 3 months ago

Harry,

Take a look at the differences for a possible clue

The thing that jumps out to me is location. I don't know about you but a pub would be right at the bottom of my list for a good location for a meetup for a variety of reasons

• trying to plug in a laptop
  • protect the laptop from pints spilling
  • hard to move around to mingle or even to get someone to look over your shoulder
  • can be loud
  • a pub environment, for someone new, walking into a crowd who know each other well...thats intimidating
  • the association with alcohol discourages younger participants

To give an example of some of the Irish meetups

• we meet on a weekend, 12-6pm, the pub happens afterwards for anyone who wants to
  • a line of tables
  • plenty of space to move around
  • wifi
  • thats it

We've had local council people, start ups, academia, OAP's, students etc etc, a huge mix, attending over the various meetups.All have had a wide variety of interests and reasons for attending.

zool & Harry

Regarding promoting the event, you can never have too many channels if all you use them for is promoting the event. Sure keep one or two as the main communication channels, but for future events I'm looking at

• mailing list
  • twitter
  • facebook
  • google+
  • meetup.com (I was really surprised at how effective this one is from other groups)
  • 1 page flyer that can be printed by anyone and posted anywhere (work, college, etc) and linked from all of the above
  • etc etc

Also start a week or two out from the event, and continuously promote it as the time draws closer

If the whole point is to promote something to increase the amount of people attending, why on earth would you place a restriction on your avenues of promotion. If sharing personal info is a concern (Facebook) sign up as OSM "Whatever" and set up a group page

You also want your own members promoting the hell out of it too

If anyone complain about spam, well they were never likely to go in the first place so let them unsubscribe if one or two extra emails is that much of an inconvenience.

We typically have quarterly meetups, so they are more of an event when they happen which may have an impact also

Addressing 4 months ago

Completely agree

Address mapping is a slooooow process but it is undoubtedly valuable data and data that fits perfectly within OSM

New Zealand Data Help 4 months ago

neat little service that, I like it

does it result in much data being opened?