DaCor has commented on the following diary entries

Addressing 17 days ago

Completely agree

Address mapping is a slooooow process but it is undoubtedly valuable data and data that fits perfectly within OSM

New Zealand Data Help 19 days ago

neat little service that, I like it

does it result in much data being opened?

#MapLesotho - Heading towards a full basemap 23 days ago

Thanks, yes we have had a great year and we've some great plans for this year too

I'm not sure what you mean by get more feedback? Most of the current users of the data in lesotho are government planners and there is a nice loop going where they look at an area, map it, then use the data to assist with further planning for the same area. Is that what you mean?

Mapillary will indeed be fantastic fior somewhere like Lesotho and I personally will be pushing it a lot when we visit in a few weeks.

There is a high % of smartphone penetration, so much so that Vodacom, the main phone / broadband provider are skipping any further DSL rollout due to poor penetration of landlines and instead going straight to LTE / 4G mobile networks across a lrage portion of the country.

This will be a big help to OSM mapping but the big risk is data charges. If they make it too expensive it'll die on its proverbial ass

Improve a map - before and after 29 days ago

Nice work :)

JOSM 7906 released about 1 month ago

as always, nice work folks

Now Live: Notes Posted By Scout Users about 2 months ago

Love it!

If reports /notes are what users are comfortable with in terms of improving the underlying data, more power to them :)

I look forward to seeing these notes popping up around the place

See who's adding townlands/baronies in Ireland! about 2 months ago

Nice one rorym!

Fyi, the link to a users OSM page is written as follows

So its just opening townlands.ie again rather than jumping out to OSM

COFFEEDEX & the single-tag revolution 2 months ago

When I saw this I had the same thought as Joost, something like this for wifi would be a good idea

This could be expanded to many different uses e.g. Bus stops (rtpi, shelter, recessed etc) fast food (cuisine), parking (free or not), schools (level, mixed, ethos, etc)

Heck the toilet map recently reported on would benefit massively from something like this

As a proof of concept I think it's fantastic and a great example of what can now be done because the groundwork is done

Props to you Tom

One year older 2 months ago

following that theme...Congratulations on Ten years of Mapping!

Hey, Bryce! Bike repair! 3 months ago

couldnt think of a better icon from the options listed but anyway, here you go

Bike parking 3 months ago

You might like this

Roadmap: A State of the Map for all communities worldwide 3 months ago

This is fantastic, truly it is!

I'm a stats nut so something like this is right up my street. I really am looking forward to seeing what comes of this and hope to see this grow and grow.

Potlatch 2: see two sets of imagery at once 3 months ago

BAN P..... wait... damnit this is excellent!

this should be in JOSM

Nice work Richard

Kiln not seen(rendered) in OpenStreetMap 3 months ago

Yup, the 2 mappa mercia links posted above are what I use for most of my maps starting points now, they make it so simple

If you have some kind of icon already created aswell for kiln's, you can use that I think, Robjn would probably be able to tell you how exactly, I havent done it yet, but am planning to soon

Finished adding the new stretch of Edsån 4 months ago

Nice work

OpenStreetMap Carto v2.22.0 4 months ago

Well done to all who worked on this, really nice, subtle improvement. Congrats to all on a job well done

Keeping OSM up to date with OSMfocus 4 months ago

This is brilliant.

For future development something I would recommend from a personal point of view would be:

• Offline mode is a must. Data charges can be prohibitive
  • Set a standard location for the popout which relates to the crosshair e.g. top left. This is purely to prevent the user having to scan all (up to 8) popouts when looking for info on a specific feature
  • The popouts, I would make them a min of 3 lines in height to make them easily usable in touch interfaces which, when tapped, would offer a list of options to:
  1. Add a note on OSM
  2. Edit tags on OSM
  3. Take a photo
  4. Record a note
Just noticed I've passed 350 edits 4 months ago

Once you do learn it though, you'll likely never go back

In saying that, I use iD in work where I can't instal josm on some machines

get children involved 4 months ago

I foresee edit-wars around the dinner table ;)

A year's difference, locally 4 months ago

In that case, have a look at fieldpapers.org

It might suit your style of surveying