DaCor has commented on the following diary entries

Hey, Bryce! Bike repair! 10 days ago

couldnt think of a better icon from the options listed but anyway, here you go

Bike parking 10 days ago

You might like this

Roadmap: A State of the Map for all communities worldwide 10 days ago

This is fantastic, truly it is!

I'm a stats nut so something like this is right up my street. I really am looking forward to seeing what comes of this and hope to see this grow and grow.

Potlatch 2: see two sets of imagery at once about 1 month ago

BAN P..... wait... damnit this is excellent!

this should be in JOSM

Nice work Richard

Kiln not seen(rendered) in OpenStreetMap about 1 month ago

Yup, the 2 mappa mercia links posted above are what I use for most of my maps starting points now, they make it so simple

If you have some kind of icon already created aswell for kiln's, you can use that I think, Robjn would probably be able to tell you how exactly, I havent done it yet, but am planning to soon

Finished adding the new stretch of Edsån about 1 month ago

Nice work

OpenStreetMap Carto v2.22.0 about 2 months ago

Well done to all who worked on this, really nice, subtle improvement. Congrats to all on a job well done

Keeping OSM up to date with OSMfocus about 2 months ago

This is brilliant.

For future development something I would recommend from a personal point of view would be:

• Offline mode is a must. Data charges can be prohibitive
  • Set a standard location for the popout which relates to the crosshair e.g. top left. This is purely to prevent the user having to scan all (up to 8) popouts when looking for info on a specific feature
  • The popouts, I would make them a min of 3 lines in height to make them easily usable in touch interfaces which, when tapped, would offer a list of options to:
  1. Add a note on OSM
  2. Edit tags on OSM
  3. Take a photo
  4. Record a note
Just noticed I've passed 350 edits about 2 months ago

Once you do learn it though, you'll likely never go back

In saying that, I use iD in work where I can't instal josm on some machines

get children involved 2 months ago

I foresee edit-wars around the dinner table ;)

A year's difference, locally 2 months ago

In that case, have a look at fieldpapers.org

It might suit your style of surveying

new at using JOSM - how go back and edit my work? 2 months ago

Dont worry if you didnt add them previously, just add them in future. they are useful and important as they give an indication as to what you were editing but dont sweat it if you forget them now and then

A year's difference, locally 2 months ago

How I usually do it is map everything from aerial imagery first, then when I go to do a ground survey, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to add notes to specific buildings/features if you have them mapped already.

Are you on iphone or android?

Personally I use android and when I'm out and about I use a variety of different apps for different purposes

• OSMTracker when I'm in the car, I use it for noting speed limits and major features that can be done safely while driving
  • OSMPad for collecting addresses. Very useful in that you can place the mapped info directly over the property its related to.
  • Keypadmapper is a very powerful app for collecting data when doing ground surveys. the only function its missing it the only one OSMPad has, which is why I use the two seperately, though it will be coming soon at which point Keypadmapper will be the best for data collection
  • Vespucci for on the go edits that are saved direct to OSM. I don't use this too often as I prefer to gather as much as possible when surveying and do my editing at home, but it is very useful and under constant development so always getting better and more powerful
A year's difference, locally 2 months ago

Nice work

I see you are starting to get into the fine grain building mapping in some residential areas too. You'll be surprised by what you find once you start doing surveys of these areas especially if you plan on adding addresses

Best of luck, see you in a year ;)

Excited to Say, I am a Presidential Innovation Fellow 2 months ago

Congrats MIkel, well deserved

25000000 3 months ago

At that rate of growth, I'd wager Feb 2015 or Mar 2015 at the latest

The Notes feature, please read first before making a note 4 months ago

"Notes" by their very definition are informal things so applying rules around them would possibly lead to less usage

Also, I don't see any issue in non-user created notes, for example see @osmthis twitter account. Tweet a geotagged photo to that account and it creates a note with a link to the photo

However, I do agree there are a lot of useless notes out there.

10th Anniversary Name Fix Challenge 4 months ago

Found something I havent seen before. the following tags applied to roads

source=Eric Jarvies. All rights reserved. ©2010 (eric@csl.com.mx or http://csl.com.mx) added_by=Eric Jarvies(eric@csl.com.mx)

dry streams 4 months ago

Just to make you aware, intermittent=yes is the accepted way for tagging these.

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Intermittent

There are over 724,000 instances of intermittent=yes with several hundred thousand occurrences of water/streams tagged as such, see http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=intermittent#values

This is versus 561 results for intermittent=dry, 560 of which are assigned to streams in New Mexico by yourself and weirdly form a single straight line, see http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/4uc

It is up to you, but in your shoes, I would be tagging as intermittent=yes as this is the standard accepted way of tagging for this type of feature

Upcoming Vespucci 0.9.5 release 4 months ago

Holy crap

• Fast address tags adding with house number prediction

definitely going to give this a whirl