DaCor has commented on the following diary entries

Now Live: Notes Posted By Scout Users 7 days ago

Love it!

If reports /notes are what users are comfortable with in terms of improving the underlying data, more power to them :)

I look forward to seeing these notes popping up around the place

See who's adding townlands/baronies in Ireland! 10 days ago

Nice one rorym!

Fyi, the link to a users OSM page is written as follows

So its just opening townlands.ie again rather than jumping out to OSM

COFFEEDEX & the single-tag revolution 16 days ago

When I saw this I had the same thought as Joost, something like this for wifi would be a good idea

This could be expanded to many different uses e.g. Bus stops (rtpi, shelter, recessed etc) fast food (cuisine), parking (free or not), schools (level, mixed, ethos, etc)

Heck the toilet map recently reported on would benefit massively from something like this

As a proof of concept I think it's fantastic and a great example of what can now be done because the groundwork is done

Props to you Tom

One year older 17 days ago

following that theme...Congratulations on Ten years of Mapping!

Hey, Bryce! Bike repair! about 1 month ago

couldnt think of a better icon from the options listed but anyway, here you go

Bike parking about 1 month ago

You might like this

Roadmap: A State of the Map for all communities worldwide about 1 month ago

This is fantastic, truly it is!

I'm a stats nut so something like this is right up my street. I really am looking forward to seeing what comes of this and hope to see this grow and grow.

Potlatch 2: see two sets of imagery at once about 2 months ago

BAN P..... wait... damnit this is excellent!

this should be in JOSM

Nice work Richard

Kiln not seen(rendered) in OpenStreetMap about 2 months ago

Yup, the 2 mappa mercia links posted above are what I use for most of my maps starting points now, they make it so simple

If you have some kind of icon already created aswell for kiln's, you can use that I think, Robjn would probably be able to tell you how exactly, I havent done it yet, but am planning to soon

Finished adding the new stretch of Edsån 2 months ago

Nice work

OpenStreetMap Carto v2.22.0 2 months ago

Well done to all who worked on this, really nice, subtle improvement. Congrats to all on a job well done

Keeping OSM up to date with OSMfocus 2 months ago

This is brilliant.

For future development something I would recommend from a personal point of view would be:

• Offline mode is a must. Data charges can be prohibitive
  • Set a standard location for the popout which relates to the crosshair e.g. top left. This is purely to prevent the user having to scan all (up to 8) popouts when looking for info on a specific feature
  • The popouts, I would make them a min of 3 lines in height to make them easily usable in touch interfaces which, when tapped, would offer a list of options to:
  1. Add a note on OSM
  2. Edit tags on OSM
  3. Take a photo
  4. Record a note
Just noticed I've passed 350 edits 3 months ago

Once you do learn it though, you'll likely never go back

In saying that, I use iD in work where I can't instal josm on some machines

get children involved 3 months ago

I foresee edit-wars around the dinner table ;)

A year's difference, locally 3 months ago

In that case, have a look at fieldpapers.org

It might suit your style of surveying

new at using JOSM - how go back and edit my work? 3 months ago

Dont worry if you didnt add them previously, just add them in future. they are useful and important as they give an indication as to what you were editing but dont sweat it if you forget them now and then

A year's difference, locally 3 months ago

How I usually do it is map everything from aerial imagery first, then when I go to do a ground survey, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to add notes to specific buildings/features if you have them mapped already.

Are you on iphone or android?

Personally I use android and when I'm out and about I use a variety of different apps for different purposes

• OSMTracker when I'm in the car, I use it for noting speed limits and major features that can be done safely while driving
  • OSMPad for collecting addresses. Very useful in that you can place the mapped info directly over the property its related to.
  • Keypadmapper is a very powerful app for collecting data when doing ground surveys. the only function its missing it the only one OSMPad has, which is why I use the two seperately, though it will be coming soon at which point Keypadmapper will be the best for data collection
  • Vespucci for on the go edits that are saved direct to OSM. I don't use this too often as I prefer to gather as much as possible when surveying and do my editing at home, but it is very useful and under constant development so always getting better and more powerful
A year's difference, locally 3 months ago

Nice work

I see you are starting to get into the fine grain building mapping in some residential areas too. You'll be surprised by what you find once you start doing surveys of these areas especially if you plan on adding addresses

Best of luck, see you in a year ;)

Excited to Say, I am a Presidential Innovation Fellow 3 months ago