DaCor has commented on the following diary entries

A year's difference, locally about 12 hours ago

In that case, have a look at fieldpapers.org

It might suit your style of surveying

new at using JOSM - how go back and edit my work? 1 day ago

Dont worry if you didnt add them previously, just add them in future. they are useful and important as they give an indication as to what you were editing but dont sweat it if you forget them now and then

A year's difference, locally 1 day ago

How I usually do it is map everything from aerial imagery first, then when I go to do a ground survey, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to add notes to specific buildings/features if you have them mapped already.

Are you on iphone or android?

Personally I use android and when I'm out and about I use a variety of different apps for different purposes

• OSMTracker when I'm in the car, I use it for noting speed limits and major features that can be done safely while driving
  • OSMPad for collecting addresses. Very useful in that you can place the mapped info directly over the property its related to.
  • Keypadmapper is a very powerful app for collecting data when doing ground surveys. the only function its missing it the only one OSMPad has, which is why I use the two seperately, though it will be coming soon at which point Keypadmapper will be the best for data collection
  • Vespucci for on the go edits that are saved direct to OSM. I don't use this too often as I prefer to gather as much as possible when surveying and do my editing at home, but it is very useful and under constant development so always getting better and more powerful
A year's difference, locally 2 days ago

Nice work

I see you are starting to get into the fine grain building mapping in some residential areas too. You'll be surprised by what you find once you start doing surveys of these areas especially if you plan on adding addresses

Best of luck, see you in a year ;)

Excited to Say, I am a Presidential Innovation Fellow 6 days ago

Congrats MIkel, well deserved

25000000 19 days ago

At that rate of growth, I'd wager Feb 2015 or Mar 2015 at the latest

The Notes feature, please read first before making a note about 1 month ago

"Notes" by their very definition are informal things so applying rules around them would possibly lead to less usage

Also, I don't see any issue in non-user created notes, for example see @osmthis twitter account. Tweet a geotagged photo to that account and it creates a note with a link to the photo

However, I do agree there are a lot of useless notes out there.

10th Anniversary Name Fix Challenge about 1 month ago

Found something I havent seen before. the following tags applied to roads

source=Eric Jarvies. All rights reserved. ©2010 (eric@csl.com.mx or http://csl.com.mx) added_by=Eric Jarvies(eric@csl.com.mx)

dry streams about 2 months ago

Just to make you aware, intermittent=yes is the accepted way for tagging these.

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Intermittent

There are over 724,000 instances of intermittent=yes with several hundred thousand occurrences of water/streams tagged as such, see http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=intermittent#values

This is versus 561 results for intermittent=dry, 560 of which are assigned to streams in New Mexico by yourself and weirdly form a single straight line, see http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/4uc

It is up to you, but in your shoes, I would be tagging as intermittent=yes as this is the standard accepted way of tagging for this type of feature

Upcoming Vespucci 0.9.5 release about 2 months ago

Holy crap

• Fast address tags adding with house number prediction

definitely going to give this a whirl

Smartphone mounts about 2 months ago

I love the simplicity of it

You images in the car as clear. Any I've tried with Mapillary have been blurred and useless. Were you driving slowly or is there a phone setting you used?

Articles about OpenStreetMap 2 months ago

Nice work!

Data that I capture with my phone 3 months ago

Check out OSMTracker also on Android, I often use it when driving

street name 4 months ago

Are you saying the map you see on OSM is correct but an app you are using is not showing the same info?

If so, you should be able to update the map in whatever app you are using

Третья пензенская картовечеринка 4 months ago

Nice work!

@OsmThis: Twitter to OSM 4 months ago

This is excellent!

What kind of user/challenge stats do MapRoulette users want? 5 months ago

I think the various tools Pascal Neis and others have produced over the years should answer your question.....Openstreetmap users love stats, give us more than we know what to do with :)

How do you map house numbers efficiently? 6 months ago

I forgot to add, the beauty of OSMpad is the way is works, you have a set of cross hairs, you move your slippy map around to position the cross hairs where you want to add the address data, then simply add your house number.

This ensures you place the data accurately

How do you map house numbers efficiently? 6 months ago

I do a similar process, but with a different app, OSMpad. Its designed for one thing only, to collect house numbers only so you don't have all the bells and whistles of Keypadmapper and Vespucci, both of which are still awesome app's in their own right.

How I gather data, I firstly map buildings from imagery, then go survey on foot, bike or car.

There have been afternoon's when I've collected close to 1,000 addresses.

I go down a street, mark the first house numbers on each side of the road, visually count down the row of houses, and work out what the last house numbers should be, drive down to the end of the street, if my estimation matches with the actual house numbers, I added the last #'s in the row.

Once finished, I email the completed traces through OSMpad to myself, open them up in Josm and begin adding everything I've collected, and fill in the gaps where I only gathered the first and last #'s.

One piece of advice, from someone who has collected thousands of addresses. When you are collecting, email the traces to yourself every 100 houses or so. Don't let your trace get too big otherwise you'll be cursing yourself when you go to add the data in JOSM, there will simply be too much fine detail to be added over too large an area. Keep the traces small and lean, that way you can quite easily sit down in one go and add 100 addresses quite comfortably.

Doing it that way, you will be surprised at how quickly you can collect and add address data for very large areas.

Fingal and Lesotho 6 months ago

Hi Big C, I went to create the task manager job for Mohlakeng tonight, but ther wikipedia link you posted, when I look at the imagery I only see a tiny village, about 30-40 houses.

The wikipedia page leads me to believe that Mohlakeng is a large area that encompasses many villages akin to an Irish parish

Can you clarify if thats the case. If it is, its no big deal. I can add many groups of tasks within a single one