Candid Dauth has commented on the following diary entries

FacilMap 2 has been released about 1 month ago

@Severak: The frontend connects to the server using socket.io, and the protocol is quite simple. Unfortunately it is not documented so far, but maybe you can get an idea by reading the code of the server-side part. If you need any more detailed information, let me know, I could also document the protocol if you need it.

FacilMap 2 has been released about 2 months ago

@Marián: Yes, unfortunately the Nominatim reverse geocoding is neither very fast nor very clever. I hope to find a different provider...

@CloCkWeRX: Good idea, will add it soon.

Route Manager and History Viewer almost 6 years ago

Okay, I have activated some detailed logging, and it seems that there is in fact a dead lock somewhere.

Route Manager and History Viewer almost 6 years ago

Running more tasks at a time will not bring a speed improvement but only consume more memory as the limitation of speed is the OSM API.

The fairest policy would be to not have a queue at all but to process everything at the same time. The problem is that for an analysation to run, lots of OSM objects need to be kept in memory. That’s the reason why I implemented the queue, because this way the memory consumption is kept as low as possible.

Route Manager and History Viewer almost 6 years ago

I have reset the queue now. I don’t know how to avoid this, but one minute is way too short as a timeout (the relation blame function takes a long time even for small relations). Maybe I will create separate queues for the different functions.

OpenLinkMap layer in FacilMap almost 6 years ago

Added a feature request for OpenSeaMap layer on http://bugs.cdauth.eu/index.php?do=details&task_id=59

OpenLinkMap layer in FacilMap almost 6 years ago

This is something that you have to suggest to the author of OpenLinkMap, as I am only using its data.

Route Manager and History Viewer almost 6 years ago

What position in the queue does it display for your changeset? As there is one queue for all functions of Route Manager and History Viewer, it is not unlikely that the queue takes a long time to process, as especially the Relation Blame function of History Viewer can take very long.

Route Manager and History Viewer almost 6 years ago

I read about that bookmarklet some time ago and created two Greasemonkey scripts that create a link on the changeset and relation pages: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/92779 and http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/92776

OpenOrienteeringMap now for the whole world almost 7 years ago

Am I seeing this right that the new Street-O tiles don’t have a transparent background anymore? That would be a pity, the old tiles made it possible to display a real Google-Hybrid lookalike with OpenStreetMap data.
Nevertheless, great work!

Nominatim search result icons almost 7 years ago

Very nice, thanks for the tip!

New OpenStreetBugs client, translators needed about 7 years ago

At the moment, Translatewiki seems to be too complicated, as translators have to register and request permission to translate. It doesn’t seem to be possible to create a new project. On the other hand the number of languages that my tools could be translated to would probably be much higher on Translatewiki because non-OpenStreetMap users could help with the translation as well.

At the moment, I prefer the OpenStreetMap wiki, as it is more newcomer-friendly.

Live Permalinks about 7 years ago

Yep, that’s something I’ve wanted to implement for some time, done now.

Google MapMaker: What now? about 7 years ago

In Google MapMaker, people can map without going out with a GPS device, because of the good satellite images (I haven’t ever used it, but I suppose they use the normal Google Satellite imagery). Furthemore I don’t think that they care much about copyright when they insert street names and other information.
This is not possible in OSM.

Country roads around Lismore about 7 years ago

Your changeset is finally viewable in OSM History Viewer. It was so big that I had to increase the memory limit in Java. ;-)

OSM History Viewer over 7 years ago

Now you can also enter changeset IDs with a #.

OSM History Viewer over 7 years ago

I almost suspected it to work incorrectly, thanks for the tip and for saving me the time to find it out myself.

US/Canada border over 7 years ago

Here in Germany, we have a similar problem. At least in Landkreis Miesbach, there are two borders to Austria: one from the Landkreis border import, which is really detailed, and one with the source CIA World Databank II. Unfortunately, the CIA border only consists of nodes, and those are not connected by a way. Fortunately though, they all have a source tag, so it would be rather easy to delete them.

OpenLayers Map over 7 years ago

I didn’t really know Google MapMaker, I’ve added it to the map now. I know about the bug with the pop-up dialogues, but I haven’t found any fix for it yet.

The difference of OSM to other projects over 7 years ago

That would be a really cool innovation. It would searching the mailing-list a lot easier if there were links to related discussions on the Wiki pages.