Amaroussi has commented on the following diary entries

Lets tone down mutually offensive and insulting statements with Harry Wood 2 months ago

A "Draft" does not necessarily mean it is optional to follow them: for example, when a website is very young the webmaster has to come up with some good practice rules, then over time they need to revise it to take into account the changes and evolutions in the community.

New road style for the Default map style, the full version - high zoom 4 months ago

All the link roads should be narrower than its mainline equivalent, and not just motorways.

New road style for the Default map style - the full version 4 months ago

I would support the rollout of the new highway colours after we have implemented the “heritage” layer: see

New road style for the Default map style - highway=path is evil 5 months ago

I think the colour changes are so drastic that a version with the existing colours should continued to be maintained as a "heritage" layer and have it run side by side.

Nepal, OSM License, and the NGA 7 months ago

Even with the governments out of the way, we can't practically force everyone to comply with our licence unless we have an aggressive legal team like RIAA.

Germanwings Flight 9525 response 8 months ago

The glacier came from Vlad and I checked the cliff in question. I do get inspired by the work of HOT (the humanitarian mapping people) because there are many areas in the world that are not mapped and the default imagery in Potlatch is detailed enough to create starting points for projects in future.

I do my best in good faith to add information to a very remote area that clearly lacked sufficient detail prior to the crash, but to have more people joining in will help rescue and medical teams anywhere, as the response to the Ebola crisis shows.

No one should be discouraged from giving crisis response mapping a try.

5 dreams/ proposals for OSM headquarters (please comment) about 1 year ago

I welcome any improvement to the default style as long as we still have blue for motorways and green for primary routes in the UK. ;-)

We can no longer go on like this about 1 year ago

A quick side question: do we have database backups in case of a serious vandalism incident?

25000000 about 1 year ago

We also recently passed the 4 millionth relation.

Upload zoom-dependent? over 1 year ago

Not all zoom levels will update like magic. Zoom levels 13 or closer get updated more often (from about 5 minutes to 24 hours depending on the load) than Zoom levels 12 or further (around a month or more).

Fixing common & possible Tagging Mistakes over 1 year ago

After talking with will_p I can see that not every editor can see to what the demands of every locale are. At this point I am confident that this idea encouraged mass editing, whether intentional or not: as I speak someone might have come up with a new tag for a good reason.

Fixing common & possible Tagging Mistakes over 1 year ago

UPDATE: unfortunately some users are objecting to the clean-up of some tags: will_p messaged me about shop=photo_studio meaning something different, i.e.:

• shop="photo_studio" - a shop with a studio where people go to have their photographs taken. These shops do not usually sell other products or print photos except those taken in the shop.
  • shop="photo" - a general purpose tag for a shop that prints photos or sells photo or camera related materials/equipment.
Fixing common & possible Tagging Mistakes over 1 year ago

I've acted on a few erroneous tags but shop=pharmacy is so widespread in Germany that updating them all might take longer to encourage the local editors to just use amenity=pharmacy.

What to do today? (It's too wet to go out mapping!) over 1 year ago

Another wet day idea would be to convert railway stations into the latest public_transport scheme, adding the stop positions, station buildings and all and then combining that into a relation. This is what I do for London, with lots of details included for the manual:

Someone broke OpenStreetMap again over 1 year ago

The phrase relating to vandalism was for an unlikely occurrence of such, given that I've encountered a few incidents (unsourced bitcoin nodes, unexplained closure of notes and the lingering effects of the "improving security" vandal that someone told me about.

Bitcoins and Business Opportunists almost 2 years ago

The problem on this occasion was the node added by Adormo was poorly named and located, hence raising initial suspicions. Further checks this morning resulted in the node being added back because it was part of notable place, albeit poorly named and poorly located (it was in fact part of the London Open House at some point). However, the problem still stands because I have struggled to verify a marketing business near Finsbury Park.

I have got in touch with Adormo, who added the node, with the following recommendations to make it less spammy: which is as follows:

1. Checking that the location is accurate, if possible.
  2. Checking that the address and post code of the location, including the house number, is correct, if possible.
  3. Checking that the name and description of the location is not spam-like, or better still, put it under the tag "adormo:name" and "adormo:description" respectively, similar to what we did with Naptan bus stops in the UK.
  4. Using "source=Adormo", so we know where it is coming from.

Anything else to add?

Light up my way! (First Anniversary) about 2 years ago

Driving trips over the last three years, as well as recent public transport trips within the M25 (see 20 November 2012 post).

how dare they :) over 2 years ago

That's not the only problem Googel users are facing: check out the dispute over road colours as well here and here.

Week of May 13-19 over 2 years ago

Personally I don't mind doing very detailed information such as sidewalks and individual crossings. I may not be the one with a GPS but even with the stuff I have, with what's given as a base, I aim to make the curves as curvy as possible.

I don't know, maybe one day we would have a route planner for planes, so taxi-lines might be needed in future. Who knows?

A Greek nightmare in road classification over 2 years ago

I did fix the primary road issue. That was a mistake.

I don't remember there being a forum for OSM other than the help service at Is that the forum?