as the most of the community know, that tools as Mobile Atlas Creator or JTileDownloader stressing our servers, since long time ago. But now the count of connections get's critical so the English Universities that currently honestly host our project, say we have to find a solution. To much connections stressing even their hardware (servers, firewalls, routers,...) that is system critical for them. So if nothing happened, OSM has to pay for commercial hosting...
So we started labeling the Wiki pages of the Apps, that violate the Tiles Usage Policy and the admins try to limit the tile download by finding patterns and redirecting them to blocked applications landing page.
The german channel already talk about the problem (Forums,, mailing lists) and there are a few ideas:
1. Apps should use alternative services (as Mapquest, Cloudmade, ...)
2. Apps should setup their own rendering servers
3. Apps should buy/donate for using a third party service
4. Apps should use offline-rendering
Every idea has several pros/cons but we need to point out, that the usage of OSM in that way will interrupt the work of us mappers as well, and so bring the whole project down (worst case).
So what can you personally do?
- Search the web for people asking for old versions of MOBAC etc. to surround the limitations and show them that this non social behavior endangers OSM and so the product they like to use, even in years
- If you have knowledge about setting up an OSM render stack, help updating/simplifying the documentation in the wiki
- If you are a developer, you might help delploying easy to use OSM software packages or a cross platform offline-rendering library